Windows 10: Failed Windows 10 upgrade, where are data files stored?

Discus and support Failed Windows 10 upgrade, where are data files stored? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Trying to help out a friend who has lost all of his data after a Windows 10 upgrade failure (power was lost to the machine during upgrade). I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by steveotter, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Failed Windows 10 upgrade, where are data files stored?

Hi,

Trying to help out a friend who has lost all of his data after a Windows 10 upgrade failure (power was lost to the machine during upgrade).

I am not trying to fix his machine, my main concern is to recover all of his data.

I have removed the hard drive and have in in a caddy, but the data files are not where I expect them to be. In the Users folder, all the folders (Documents, Desktop etc) are empty.

Any ideas where I can find the data?

Thank-you

:)

steveotter, Dec 3, 2015
  2. msmane Win User

upgrade to win 10

Dear friends,

Pease tell me where is win 10 downloaded file/ data saved in laptop ?

I hav tried 10 times to upgrade each time it shows various errors & fails. On each upgrade I download 3 gb data thus nearly ************30 gb downloaded in 50 hrs ************ I'm fainted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please help me.

S.Mane

msmane, Dec 3, 2015
  3. Where are my files?

Noticed none of my personal files were in This PC after all updates from Windows. I reverted to a previous build and there it all was again. Hope that helps someone.

Where are my files, Dec 3, 2015
  4. Failed Windows 10 upgrade, where are data files stored?

Hi
    Welcome to the forum

Only other possible place I can think if is in the C:\windows.old folder, you might find the data in here

paulsalter, Dec 3, 2015
  5. Hi, thanks.

unfortunately there is not a windows.old folder. The whole of the C drive is now only 1Gb in size!

The D drive is named recovery, The E drive is named HP Tools and the F drive is named System (and contains one folder named BOOT)

steveotter, Dec 3, 2015
  6. They sound like the recovery partitions

I know there are ways to try and recover data from the drive, unfortunately this is not something I know much about
    Hopefully someone else who know more about this will be along later to help you out with some software options

paulsalter, Dec 3, 2015
  7. SonicBlue Win User
    Ouch! Doesn't sound good if the C: is only 1 gb.

SonicBlue, Dec 3, 2015
  8. Failed Windows 10 upgrade, where are data files stored?

I am hoping it is moved somewhere else during the process

steveotter, Dec 3, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Sounds like file system corruption to me.
    Try running chkdsk /f against the drive, see if it can fix the problem.

Ztruker, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Failed Windows 10 upgrade, where are data files stored?

1. Failed Windows 10 upgrade, where are data files stored? - Similar Threads - Failed upgrade where

2. Where is old odbc connection data stored in Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Where is old odbc connection data stored in Windows 10.: When I set up an odbc connection to a server it works fine. But when the device is restarted it reverts back to an old connection. I'm trying to find out where to go to delete whatever is causing the connection to change upon restart.I've checked in Registry Editor but...
  3. Where is old odbc connection data stored in Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where is old odbc connection data stored in Windows 10.: When I set up an odbc connection to a server it works fine. But when the device is restarted it reverts back to an old connection. I'm trying to find out where to go to delete whatever is causing the connection to change upon restart.I've checked in Registry Editor but...
  4. Where is old odbc connection data stored in Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Where is fast startup data stored?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where is fast startup data stored?: My friend is having some problems regarding fast startup, so I wanted to know that where and in which file is the data when shutting down with fast startup is stored? The problem basically is that with fast startup enabled, Windows hangs while loading. I just want to know the...
  6. Where is fast startup data stored?

Where is fast startup data stored?: My friend is having some problems regarding fast startup, so I wanted to know that where and in which file is the data when shutting down with fast startup is stored? The problem basically is that with fast startup enabled, Windows hangs while loading. I just want to know the...
  7. Fails to delete windows 10 Data file backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fails to delete windows 10 Data file backup: Getting below error while deleting windows data file backup period. Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Backup and Restore Windows 7 > Manage Space > View Backups > select backup period > Delete "Not all files and directories were deleted. First Failed file is \\?\Volume{...
  8. Where is the data stored for the new Clipboard?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where is the data stored for the new Clipboard?: I have been trying for a while now to locate where these items are being stored with no luck. Thanks in advance for your help! Windows 10 Enterprise 1809 151663
  9. The store fails to upgrade to Windows 10 pro

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    The store fails to upgrade to Windows 10 pro: The page says purchase, I click the box and a window pups up and goes away. So I am stopped doing more to purchase 10 Pro. Never had this problem before. I don't block popups in my browser (Chrome). Thanks Ken...
  10. Where is EXIF data stored in an image file?

Where is EXIF data stored in an image file?: Hello, There is often metadata stored with image files that are produced by digital cameras, things like camera model, GPS information, aperture size, whether the flash was on, etc. Where is this info stored? Is it in a header at the front of the file or a footer at the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. multiple failed windows 10 updates downloaded 16 gb where are these updates stored?

2. where are failed windows installation data stored