Windows 10: Failing Prime95 on RAM test - HW failure?

Discus and support Failing Prime95 on RAM test - HW failure? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all,Over this weekend I've been testing my RAM modules due to a request I got from technical support. I use Private Internet Access VPN and if I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by gil, Aug 27, 2017.

1. GIL
    gil Win User

Failing Prime95 on RAM test - HW failure?

Hi all,Over this weekend I've been testing my RAM modules due to a request I got from technical support.
    I use Private Internet Access VPN and if I leave my VPN running for 24 hours, at some point its process will get killed.
    The support told me that I probably have a memory leak due to log files warnings, and I was asked to test my RAM.

I own 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz on XMP profile over Z97 chipset. I used latest Memtest86 build and I tested each RAM module individually on each DIMM slot.
    Each RAM module was tested to 10 passes, which I believe is enough to establish an issue.No errors were presented.
    Yet. memtest86 is not enough because I don't really stress the RAM controller in dual channel mode.So I installed all RAM modules back in place, ran Win10 and disabled all 3rd party processes that boot with windows.

I also killed every process which is not required.I launched latest Prime95 build and did a Custom test and allocated 14500MB (no FFT) and have only fixed 1024MB of virtual memory (manually handled, that is, not handled by Windows).

I started the test on Aug 27, 08:57AM
    Worker #6 stopped working on Aug 28, 6:05AM with the following message:
    Cannot initialize FFT code, errorcode=1005 Unable to allocate memory.
    One possible cause is the operating system's swap area is too small.
    Torture test completed 276 tests in 21 hours, 7 minutes - 0 errors, 0 warnings.Worker stopped.

All other workres are still running.Is this a HW issue? Configuration issue? or some OS corruption?

:)

2. [Win10 BSOD]WHEA Uncorrectable Error appears in a periodical manner

Ok I Prime95-ed the PC and the crash do happens lots faster, it crashes 5 hours after the last crash. But the problem is is that a CPU issue or is that a RAM issue? Sense Prime95 uses both when testing. Also if the DMP
    refers to genuine Intel, it can also be a north bridge caused problem...?

ComplexHui, Aug 27, 2017
  3. DevBonBon Win User
    Bug Check 0x109: CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION, A critical MSR modification

Sorry I took awhile to get back to you.

So I ran the memtest86+, again, but that time the 11th test returned errors.

Tried all 4 slots, changed nothing.

Tried other RAM sticks, also failed on that test.

Bought 2 new sticks as placeholders, brand new straight from the store bought today... They failed too :/

So now I'm thinking it's the motherboard, or the memtest is broken.

So yeah... What are my options on testing the motherboard and maybe CPU? I know Intel processors have a special program, but what about AMD?

I'm going to put the memtest on an usb stick and test again on this machine. And then I'll check all the "failing" RAM sticks on another machine, another motherboard, to see if it's the MoBo or CPU.

Edit-

The windows build-in memory test never fails though

I'm now running prime95, to check on the CPU and RAM again.

I'm also checking the old RAM sticks on a different machine

DevBonBon, Aug 27, 2017
  4. Failing Prime95 on RAM test - HW failure?

One thing that could be done is trying SiSoft Sandra. There is a free version you can download. This will stress all the major compnents in your system. CPU, RAM, GPU, etc. Run this and see if it fails on any specific test.

Other things that could be tried to see if this is an OS issue are:

Open a admin command prompt and type: sfc /scannow

This will tell you if there are system files that are corrupted and will fix them in most cases.

Could also try typing in that same command prompt: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

This will fix the windows component stores if they are corrupted.

ArazelEternal, Aug 28, 2017
  5. GIL
    gil Win User
    I'll try the sisoft Sandra. SFC command didn't find any issues so I didn't proceed with DISM command.

Thema:

Failing Prime95 on RAM test - HW failure?

1. Failing Prime95 on RAM test - HW failure? - Similar Threads - Failing Prime95 RAM

2. Windows activation fails after HW change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows activation fails after HW change: I changed my CPU and Motherboard and when I try to activate Windows with my Product Key it fails with error code: 0x803fa060.I can't find this error on the Microsoft help page that lists the possible activation errors.I didn't link my Microsoft account to the product key...
  3. Windows activation fails after HW change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows activation fails after HW change: I changed my CPU and Motherboard and when I try to activate Windows with my Product Key it fails with error code: 0x803fa060.I can't find this error on the Microsoft help page that lists the possible activation errors.I didn't link my Microsoft account to the product key...
  4. Windows activation fails after HW change

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. S.MA.R.T Test failed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    S.MA.R.T Test failed: Hi Guys.Could someone please help me with a solution to my problem.When i start my laptop i am faced with the SMART check and it says that the short DST Failed .can someone help me to get back on tracks please.Thanks....
  6. Ram Test

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Ram Test: Good evening and happy new year to you all, after some searching and not finding a result, I think I better ask the experienced gentlemen and lady's here, is there an application to check my ram (free or retail) ? thank you. Windows 10 Pro - v2004 172169
  7. Windows 10 Activation failure after HW change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Activation failure after HW change: Hello, i Change my Mobo,CPU and RAM, after that it wanted activation of Windows, i followed steps of reactivaton, but it doesnt work for me (i had Windows copy connected to my account), i can see number of error, it is 0x803F7001, both of devices are connected, so where is a...
  8. Shutdowns and freezes when testing with prime95

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Shutdowns and freezes when testing with prime95: I've had more issues than I can count with this PC. Most recently I had a month long issue which was eventually fixed by lowering the vCore on my CPU by 0.1. I wasn't overclocking but the automatic settings in the BIOS let it creep over 1.5v (fx-8350). I went from constant...
  9. Prime95 - Stress Test Your CPU

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Prime95 - Stress Test Your CPU: How to: Prime95 - Stress Test Your CPU Prime95 - Stress Test Your CPU Prime95 is a freeware program originally designed to find new Mersenne prime numbers. Given the nature of Prime95 it is now widely used as a CPU stress testing utility to gauge the stability of a...
  10. MemTest86+ - Test RAM

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    MemTest86+ - Test RAM: How to: MemTest86+ - Test RAM MemTest86+ - Test RAM With [img] MemTest86+ is a diagnostic tool designed to test Random Access Memory (RAM) for faults. MemTest86+ will verify that: RAM will accept and keep random patterns of data sent to it There are no errors when...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. stress memory controler and ram error prime95

2. Prime95 settings for memory testing

3. prime95 test ram problems

4. will prime 95 fail if ram is not supported by MB,
  5. prime95 unable to allocate memory