Windows 10: Failing to replace failing laptop hard drive

Discus and support Failing to replace failing laptop hard drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Toshiba C55 series with a failing hard drive. My first attempt was to clone the drives using my Acronis True Image 2015. Formatted the new drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by cfourkays, Nov 22, 2015.

1. cfourkays Win User

Failing to replace failing laptop hard drive

Toshiba C55 series with a failing hard drive.

My first attempt was to clone the drives using my Acronis True Image 2015.
    Formatted the new drive and placed in the PC. Old HD in a USB drive enclosure.
    Booted from the TI "Bootable Rescue Media.."
    As soon as it started to #3 it stopped "Clone operation failed...."
    Messed with this a couple of times and decided to change approach.

Use System Image
    Went to CP, File History, System Image Backup
    As soon as I clicked on S..I..B.., I got the following:
    "The resource loader cache doesn't have loaded MUI entry. (0x80073B01)" (Showing up top that its in "Backup and Restore (Windows 7))

I really don't care what method I use, (I have used both above many times).

Pete *Mad

:)

cfourkays, Nov 22, 2015
  2. JoeKrider Win User

Primary Hard Drive Replacement

I have to replace a failed hard drive on a Lenovo Laptop. When I bought the laptop, it came with Windows 8.1 pre-installed on it. I did not receive any Windows media (CD, etc). with the laptop. I upgraded to Windows 10. After I put the new Hard Drive
    in the laptop, how do I install Windows 10 on it?

JoeKrider, Nov 22, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    replacing failing hard drive

Hi Terry, glad to Help and once again I understand your frustration Failing to replace failing laptop hard drive :)

DaveM121, Nov 22, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, it would help to clearly state what your objective is-
    - to recover personal data
    - to recover your Windows installation
    - both

Is your failing drive partitioned?

How have you determined it is failing? Erratic behaviour? SMART parameters? Noise?

For example, I've had a case where my partition structure was lost, but the data and disk were ok, and I recovered the partition structure (MFT).

So I'll assume you primarily need to copy data off, rather than save your Windows installation. Why? If your disk is very unreliable I can't see you'll be able to do the latter.

Assuming you basically want to copy data off it with no guarantee everything is readable, trying to use disk imaging is inappropriate. Why? A failure to read whilst creating the image will render the whole image useless.

Connecting the disk as an external drive is fine. Question is, do you have access to another working PC? If not, you need either
    a. a replacement hard disk for your existing PC and install Windows
    b. a boot disk (not Acronis I'd say, unless it supports simple copying
    (Free boot disks were available with BIOS, but it's harder if your PC uses UEFI - do some research on that)

So using (a or b) get a feel for what areas of your now external failing disk are readable, and copy them.
    (There are tricks like putting it in a freezer (using a plastic bag to avoid condensation when you take it out)).

Once you have done that, think about examining your failing disk. Is it really failing?
    What are its SMART parameters?
    Can you repair it or improve its performance sufficiently to make a complete copy?

Good luck!

dalchina, Nov 23, 2015
  5. cfourkays Win User
    Hey, thanks for replying.
    Good points. I'm in the IT business and use this forum when I get stuck.

Suppose I just said I'm trying to do a System Image in a W-10 laptop and get Error:
    ""The resource loader cache doesn't have loaded MUI entry. (0x80073B01)" (Showing up top that its in "Backup and Restore (Windows 7))"

Pete

cfourkays, Nov 23, 2015
  6. TrustMe Win User
    TrustMe, Nov 24, 2015
  7. dalchina New Member
    If you're now saying your disk is actually ok... well..

The error "The resource loader cache doesn't have loaded MUI entry. " seems related to a system related error. See here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms681384(v=vs.85).aspx
    ERROR_MUI_FILE_NOT_LOADED
    Here is the meaning of that MUI file:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd319070(v=vs.85).aspx
    The MUI resource technology, exposed in Windows Vista and later, has the following characteristics:

• Language-specific resource files are stored separately from the application code binary, so that a code change does not affect the resources.
    • The resources for multiple languages can be deployed in a single installation or separate installations for each language.
    • A resource is loaded and displayed according to the language of the application as set by the user.

Maybe try
    Open a command prompt as admin and run this DISM command to detect and repair missing Windows files:
    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

dalchina, Nov 24, 2015
  8. Almighty1 Win User

Almighty1, Nov 26, 2015
  9. Almighty1 Win User
Thema:

1. Failing to replace failing laptop hard drive - Similar Threads - Failing replace failing

2. Windows 10 Hard Drive is Failing...Need help to replace.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Hard Drive is Failing...Need help to replace.: I have a HP Pavilion Elite e9107c, Win10 Home 64bit upgraded from Win 7, the computer is stock except for the graphic card original card fail and a PCIe USB 3.0 card, both installed about 3yrs+ ago. The HDD currently in the computer is a Seagate Barracuda 750GB...
  3. Get back to Windows 10 after motherboard replaced and hard drive failed

Get back to Windows 10 after motherboard replaced and hard drive failed: Dell XPS One 2720 All-in-one My history: Machine supplied with Windows 8.1 Motherboard replaced during first year and machine shipped back to me Free upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Hard drive failed last month and replaced Windows 8.1 reinstalled by Dell last...
  4. HP 1KU84UA#ABA Laptop Hard Drive Failing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HP 1KU84UA#ABA Laptop Hard Drive Failing: I have my daughter's HP 1KU84UA#ABA laptop here for updating. However, when I turn it on, I get a notice that the hard drive is going to fail: SMART Hard Disk Error The SMART hard disk check has detected an iminent failure. To ensure not data loss, please backup the...
  5. Replacing a failing hard disk and want to retain info

Replacing a failing hard disk and want to retain info: I am replacing a failing SSHD on my HP Pavilion 23 all-in-one computer with a SSD from Samsung. What do I need to do to retain my operating system Windows 10 Home 64 bit and my installed programs. I have already downloaded and stored my files....
  6. Hard drive fail - replaced - Windows reinstall issues

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Hard drive fail - replaced - Windows reinstall issues: Dell Inspiron 3670. Purchased with win 10 Pro installed in 2018. SSD died on Monday. Tested in BIOS - DEAD. New SSD installed yesterday. Used Windows 10 installation media creation tool to create USB installation drive and input the wrong email address while reinstalling...
  7. Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing a laptop hard drive with a SSD: I have a Dell Latitude E5420 laptop which has a Windows 10 Pro O/S. I would appreciate a step by step guide on the procedure to replace the hard drive with a Solid State drive; specifically dealing with the transfer of all the software from the old drive to the new. I have an...
  8. Replacing Win10 on new hard drive after original failed

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing Win10 on new hard drive after original failed: First timer so please be gentle. My hard drive failed on my Asus desktop and had to be replaced. This whole thing made me aware of how little I prepared for such a situation. I had a recovery usb but it was from the date of purchase (2012/13) so I created a new one using my...
  9. Hard drive failing?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive failing?: Recently I’ve tried to acess my HP laptop running windows 10 on it after a hard restart, but when it attempts to boot from hard drive it gove me the auto repair startup. Almost immediately after it attempts to start up, it goes to black screen. I have run tests on my hard...
  10. replace dead hard drive for laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    replace dead hard drive for laptop: Here is the situation My wife has a Toshiba laptop that crashed, the hard drive is done. I have done everything that I have been able to looking at tutorials etc to revive it, its dead jim. I even tried to wipe the hard drive and it would have none of it. My Toshiba laptop...