Windows 10: Fall Creators Update Butchered MS Office 2007

Discus and support Fall Creators Update Butchered MS Office 2007 in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; After installing the Fall Creators Update on my old Lenovo Thinkpad, I found that my MS Office 2007 was butchered. Whenever I try to open Word or... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by johnpd, Oct 18, 2017.

1. johnpd Win User

Fall Creators Update Butchered MS Office 2007

After installing the Fall Creators Update on my old Lenovo Thinkpad, I found that my MS Office 2007 was butchered. Whenever I try to open Word or Excel, Office goes into a "reconfiguration". When I open Excel, I first get an error on stdole32.tlb. In looking at what was changed by the FCU, I saw that the stdol32.tlb and stdole2.tlb files had date changes, but the file sizes were the same. Will try uninstall and reinstall.

JohnD

:)

johnpd, Oct 18, 2017
  2. Rohn007 Win User

Windows 10 Update caused MS Office 2007 issue

Office 2007 is no longer officially supported by MS, MS no longer provides updates for it. But I have not heard that it cannot run on Win 10 FCU (Fall Creators Update).

When an Office application starts, it does a check to confirm it's version is currently set to default, it Office 2007 applications are set to default. This normally is not a problem with only one installed version. But if you have applications from more than
    one version of Office installed, this check triggers the configuration process to set the defaults.

If the reapir does not help (I don't think it will in this case) you have 2 other "traditional" options to deal with this problem.

First is "run as admin":

. * close all other applications

. * start one of the Office applications using "Run as Admin"

. * allow the configuration process to complete

. * close the application normall

. * restart windows normally

. * check to see if the problem is fixed

The other is a registry hack. It is designed to allow you 2 run 2 versions of Office at the same time. You have to add "NoReReg" keys to the registry to defeat this feature. If you want to do this, let us know. I can provide detailed instructions.

Rohn007, Oct 18, 2017
  3. tasdemon Win User
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update error 0x800705b4

thnx @suzanne bosch

turning off get updates for other Microsoft products in windows update
    solved the problem.

the problem started after i reinstalled ms office 2007 and then installed the updates for ms office 2007 from windows update. so it seems there is something in the ms office 2007 updates that caused a conflict for me

im running win10 pro ver1511 with jan2017 windows updates.

tasdemon, Oct 18, 2017
  4. Try3 Win User

John,

There is an MS KB article about this [dated 2013].

Note the adjustment to it recommended by Doug Robbins before you start working through it -
    see MS Office 2007 goes through Configuration Process first time an office app is used after
    computer turned on

The MSKB is Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus configures each time you start KB2528748
    Doug's adjustment makes the fix work for Office 2007.

Please do respond to say how you get on. It's possible that Ver 1709 has introduced a new problem that this fix does not cope with.

Denis

5. johnpd Win User
    I got it working again following the instructions on this page:

Excel 2007 start up - Microsoft Community

Although the two fix programs worked rather weirdly. The first one from Step#1 ["o15-ctrremove.diagcab"] ran ok but came to a spot where it said it wanted you to do a reboot, but here was no reboot button, just a "Next" button. So I hit "Next" and it seemed to go through the uninstall process again. So after the second pass, I just did a manual reboot at that point expecting it to come back and ask to continue, but it never did.

So I ran Step#2 ["MicrosoftProgram_Install_Uninstall.meta.diagcab"]. It asked whether you were having a problem installing or uninstalling a program. I said uninstalling and it seemed to do some things and then provided a list of software to select to uninstall. Office was not listed and it indicated in that case to select "not listed". It then asked me for a 35 character Product Code. I could not find such a thing. The Product Key is 25 characters so I just cancelled out of that.
    The instructions mentioned to do a "clean boot", but I did not do that as one other person also indicated. I put in the CD and reinstalled Office 2007. That worked fine and when I opened Excel and Word they now ran fine. I don't know what the FCU did to Office but it was not nice. Have not noticed anything else it may have screwed up.

JohnD

johnpd, Oct 18, 2017
  6. VBF
    VBF Win User
    I am getting this problem only far worse! I've had the issue that John described, but also it affects Word and Outlook. In fact a perfectly working Office 2007 is completely knackered with the Fall Creators Update.
    I've tried the fix above - and loads more from around the 'net. No way. I also get loads of Events concerning Office trying to access protected Registry keys. It also will not complete a "repair" on the Office installation

I'd be more specific but at 3AM (!) I gave up and restored the image of 1703 (OS Build 15063.674) on to the failing laptop Thank goodness for Macrium imaging tools! The laptop works perfectly with that - not even anything untoward in any of the Event logs. however re-apply the Fall CU - problem returns.

Given my admittedly sparse information - any one got any ideas......PLEASE! *Mad*Sad

7. johnpd Win User
    I only had the Home and Student Edition with Word, Excel, and Powerpoint. The "o15-ctrremove.diagcab" should have totally uninstalled Office. At least that's what it says it is supposed to do. I thought the second one was supposed to remove any remnants. When I ran it, Office 2007 did not exist in their list of things to uninstall and I could not go any further. There were others who used Revo Uninstaller to remove Office. Maybe that would work for you. You could also try uninstalling Office before you do the upgrade and reinstall it after the upgrade.
    I second Macrium as a great backup product.

JohnD

johnpd, Oct 27, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Odd - this is the second thread on this. As I said in the other one....
    https://www.tenforums.com/software-a...ml#post1182471

Another thought - both the threads were having problems with the Home and Student Edition. Mine was an OEM install of (as far as I can make out) Office 2007 Pro (it's second hand machine, I bought it with Office already installed).

9. lvgandhi Win User
    I am having MS office 2007 Enterprise. I did not get FCU so far. Any one had any problem after FCU with office2007 enterprise edition.

lvgandhi, Oct 27, 2017
  10. VBF
    VBF Win User
    Now my laptop is back in the stable state with 1703 I'm going to apply the FCU again and try the various solutions above in a more structured manner. First time around i just hit it with whatever I could find (apart from a hammer!) and possibly did more harm than good!

Another question before i do...do any of you have any comments about Outlook either working or not after the FCU upgrade? That not working really is a problem for me!

11. What a nightmare!
    I thought updates were meant to FIX things, not BREAK things.

margrave55, Oct 31, 2017
  12. VBF
    VBF Win User
    Eventually I gave up and bought Office 2016 to "solve" my problem. Only mentioning it here to "close the loop" as it were. I spent far too many hours banging my head against a brick wall and it's so lovely to be able to stop! *Cool

13. Fall Creators Update Butchered MS Office 2007

To fix Outlook, Word and Excel Errors in MS Office 2007 after fall creators 1709 upgrade, only deinstallation and reinstallation of MS office under Win 10-1709 solved it in 2 cases. Mail accounts and datafiles of Outlook stayed intact after reinstalltion.
    Just have set up an elderly PC from Win 7 pro to Win 10 pro 1709 followed by office 2007 enterprise- no problem.

rreinhardklein, Dec 13, 2017
  14. VBF
    VBF Win User
    That was one of the many things I tried to no avail! Which was why I eventually just upgraded to Office 2016, over the top of O 2007, THEN uninstalled O 2007. (See my post #10 above) All is now good and O 2016 is a definite improvement.

15. maryeleek Win User
    I may find myself in the same situation you encountered. May I ask how you like Outlook 2016? I'm a home user and not keen on the new features of Outlook 2016.

I came across a mention of OE Classic, a pop mail client performing much like the old Outlook Express Mail Client MS killed off some years back. I would like to have a look but leery of messing up my current Outlook 2007 installation.

Any comments regarding your opinion of Outlook 2016 in comparison to Outlook 2007 would be most appreciated.

maryeleek, Feb 18, 2018
Thema:

1. Fall Creators Update Butchered MS Office 2007 - Similar Threads - Fall Creators Update

2. MS Office 2007 Updates

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS Office 2007 Updates: I have Office 2007 installed but have realised I never seem to have got any updates. Can I get some, from somewhere?Updates is set to download product updates as well as Windows ones.Sorry the available categories for the post don't cover Office...
  3. MS Office 2007

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MS Office 2007: Hi - recently I have started to get a pop up from MS One Note. I happen to have an older MS Office Program from 2007. I think the pop up maybe from a newer one note program but I am not sure. I really don't use one note at all. The pop up basically wants me to make entries...
  4. Fall creators update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fall creators update.: How do i stop or block this virus you call the fall creators update, 3 times this year it's uploaded itself onto my computer and every time i've had to revert to the previous build. Each time it installs itself i loose 3-4 hours of work time because i can't use my computer,...
  5. Sandboxie and Fall Creators Update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sandboxie and Fall Creators Update: I don't know how many Sandboxie users we have here but there's got to be a few. If you are, and have upgraded W10 to FCU, you should install beta 5.21.6. It was released today. Sandboxie doesn't officially support FCU yet, but based on my personal case use, the beta is...
  6. MS Office 2007 strange language after today's office 2007 update

in Microsoft Office and 365
    MS Office 2007 strange language after today's office 2007 update: Hello, today the automatic update performed Cumulative update 1703 and MS Office 2007 update, the KB numbers follow KB4038788 KB4038806 KB3213649 KB3213646 KB3114428 KB3213642 KB4011086 KB3213641 KB4011064 KB4011063 KB4011062 on a machine with CZECH Windows,...
  7. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not. 95662
  8. fall creator update

fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324
  9. Fall Creators Update

Fall Creators Update: I just bit the bullet and went to Microsoft site and tried to install it. It hung up stuck on 24% and stayed there for an hour so I pulled the plug and it has gone back to the previous version. Now what? 99881
  10. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: I work for a company that has about 200 desktop and laptop running Windows 10 (most are HP's)on our own domain and after the fall creators update, we have experienced Unauthenticated network messages as well as download issues in all browsers (Edge, IE 11, Chrome, Firefox)....