Windows 10: Fall Creators Update fails to install

Discus and support Fall Creators Update fails to install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Attempted from 16299.15 ISO. Suspect something to do with AMD 17.7.2 driver (latest for this system) since it aborts at 33%. [img] Edit: Today... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tracit99, Oct 14, 2017.

1. tracit99 Win User

Fall Creators Update fails to install

Attempted from 16299.15 ISO.
    Suspect something to do with AMD 17.7.2 driver (latest for this system) since it aborts at 33%.

Fall Creators Update fails to install [​IMG]

Edit: Today I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 16299.15 on a unused partition. It installed with any issues and Windows 10 installed AMD driver 16.6. I installed CU to get to 16299.19. I then downloaded from AMD the latest driver for this system 17.7.2. While installing it crashed Windows 10. There were no error messages. Just a blank black screen. After restart I found that the AMD driver was in an uncompleted state. I tried to roll back to the default driver that Windows 10 installed during the clean install. I was never able to completely recover from the crash. Although Device Manager shows the original 16.6 driver installed and working, AMD Settings will not open claiming there is not a valid AMD driver installed. Over all this was a bad idea.

I suppose now it is just waiting game to see if HP, AMD or MS fixes this driver issue.

Edit: AMD has released beta drivers for FCU. See post #8. The beta is compatible with my system and FCU.

:)

tracit99, Oct 14, 2017

2. windows 10 Fall creators update 1709

windows 10 Fall creators update pro install 56% failed.

ashley wiedemann, Oct 14, 2017
  3. Fall Creator's Update, failure to install

Thank you for your response.

One of the reason why it is also not installing is, you need to check if your device is compatible with Windows 10 Fall Creators update 1709. Please check this thread and look for MVP Andre Da Costa's answer:

Fall Creators Update installation gets stuck
    . It contains explanation if your device is compatible with the software.

In the meantime, you can also check this thread:
    Fall Creator's Update" (version 1709) failed to install
    . Look for Janet_Wu. It contains troubleshooting steps pertaining to the issue.

Feel free to post back your response.

Phillip Pio, Oct 14, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

The official explanation...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ors#0xc1900101

5. Berton Win User
    Also, your My Computers show you are on the RTM Version 1703 Build 15063.674 while the Version 1709 Build 16299.15 is for the IP/Insider Preview [test] version which has not yet been released to RTM. Version 1709 is now at Build 17017.

Berton, Oct 15, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    There's a link doing the rounds on these boards to a Media Creation Tool for 16299.15, downloadable direct from Microsoft. This appears to be a leak of a link that points to the MCT that will be officially released on 17th. I've used this MCT to make what appears to be media for the RTM version of 1709. It certainly installs as if it is, and I'm no Insider.

It would seem that 16299.15 is fixed as the RTM release now, and that (as with 1703) any last minute changes will be done with a cumulative update issued simultaneously with the launch. Insiders on 16299.15 are now getting cumulative updates, currently it's build 16299.19.

7. tracit99 Win User
    I uninstalled AMD driver 17.7.2 and then installed 16.9.2 and I was then able to complete the install. After CU now at version Windows 10 16299.19 but with an older graphics driver. I will just have to live with that for now. Hopefully HP,AMD and/or MS will fix this issue.

tracit99, Oct 15, 2017
  8. Clintlgm Win User

Got a link to that link?

Clintlgm, Oct 15, 2017
  9. Bree New Member
  10. tracit99 Win User
    For anyone having issues with AMD drivers and Fall Creators Update here are the release notes and download links for AMD FCU beta.

tracit99, Oct 18, 2017
  11. Hello Bree, (Long-time-no-see),

I am having problems installing Fall Creators Update (Windows 10 v1709). It fails to install and downloads repeatedly. That is on a Windows 10 Pro 32 bit Dell Optiplex GX620 desktop. My other two Windows 10 Pro 64 bit PCs (Dell Optiplex 760 and 755) took the installation OK, although one (Dell 755) lost its Start Menu item (Administrative Tools). I managed to download the Administrative Tools components and load them into Control Panel using a TenForums Tutorial, although I couldn't access them from the Start Menu - the folder goes missing. I resolved the main issue with a System Image taken two days before.

The Windows 10 Pro 32 bit Dell Optiplex GX620 with the issue of installation failures was run with the Windows Update Troubleshooter and showed a series of error codes and eventually suggested there was a possibility of: "Potential Windows Update Database error detected". It has just had a clean install of Windows 10 from the MCT but even in its very basic state with no additional work or third-party software added since it first became active; it still fails to install v1709. It doesn't get to "Hi" "Glad you are there". It asks for a Restart but doesn't activate. It is in a loop. It suggested a problem with the download software release and not the PC.

It's going to be another AppxStaging hair-pulling exercise.

My stable system using Creators is now waking randomly again, from hibernation, with no powercfg insights as to the cause.

I am into overnight 12 GB downloads and I am considering using Shut down now .... any thoughts?
    Gratefully from

SimonFastEddy, Oct 29, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    For the 32-bit system with the issue of installation failures, use the MCT to make an ISO. Mount the ISO and run Setup to upgrade it to 1709. This may work where using the Upgrade Assistant fails. If it too fails, you will see a more comprehensive error code than from the upgrade assistant. This document lists the codes you might see, their causes and ways to mitigate them.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/win...de-error-codes

13. Fall Creators Update fails to install

Hi Bree,

Yes! I tried that, Bree.
    I used the .iso file Installation Optical Disc that worked with Anniversary Update and Creators. It gets into Creators but when I ask it to take the new Feature update it fails:

The Windows Fall Creators Update installs OK on my W10 Pro 64-bit PCs - with the exception that hibernation and Start Menu are trashed.

I've had a try with the Windows 10 Pro 32-bit PCs last night. That's with the old optical medium that worked in the past, the Dell GX620 installs a clean version (new partitions not an upgrade) up to "Hi - Glad you are there". That is up to Creators v 1703 all OK ... it's the "Features update to Windows 10 version 1709" that fail as: "Failed to install on 30/11/2017". I've been through the routine, Bree. cmd "net stop ... etcetera for Windows Update, BITS, Cryptographic Services, work done; Firewall off done; gpedit.msi work done; disk maintenance done, anti virus off done; spartan clean installation done. It's not this end, I am certain...it's Microsoft at it again. The "Check for Updates" reveals that the PC is constantly trying to re-download the Features update. There are going to be big broadband bills come Christmas. I left a post on "superuser.com" as well.

ApoplexyStaging... Nurse! I will take my drugs in the seat by the window... next to Frank... he goes blue if you mention AppxStaging.. Oh! oh! Nurse! Crash cart for Frank......

From Simon

Loads of error codes: 0x80d02002 0x800704c7 0x80244018

SimonFastEddy, Oct 29, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    Yes, the "Features update to Windows 10 version 1709" fails - but I didn't suggest you checked for updates. I suggested you download the 32-bit ISO for 1709 and use it to perform a manual upgrade. Doing so will either work (result!) or fail with a meaningful error code that will enable diagnosis. Neither the upgrade assistant or upgrading through widows update give as useful an error code.

15. Thanks Bree.

I know what you are suggesting. I need to locate an ISO for the 32-bit 1709. I'm head scratching that one at the moment. The 64-bit version may also need that work: I am getting hibernation breaking and it has an event log "The beta feature EseDisk,Consistency is enabled in ESENT due to beta site mode setting 0x8000000"

There is mention in answers.microsoft ....

After the fall creators update, i am getting a new information event - Microsoft Community

Ta! From Simon (It will take a while)

SimonFastEddy, Oct 30, 2017
Thema:

1. Fall Creators Update fails to install - Similar Threads - Fall Creators Update

2. Fall creators update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fall creators update.: How do i stop or block this virus you call the fall creators update, 3 times this year it's uploaded itself onto my computer and every time i've had to revert to the previous build. Each time it installs itself i loose 3-4 hours of work time because i can't use my computer,...
  3. Sandboxie and Fall Creators Update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sandboxie and Fall Creators Update: I don't know how many Sandboxie users we have here but there's got to be a few. If you are, and have upgraded W10 to FCU, you should install beta 5.21.6. It was released today. Sandboxie doesn't officially support FCU yet, but based on my personal case use, the beta is...
  4. Unable to install Windows Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to install Windows Fall Creators Update: My computer has been trying to install this update for over a week. Each time I get this error message "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 - Error 0x80070057" I have tried everything I can find on the net to counter this error message. My question is,...
  5. Fall Creator's Update refuses to install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Fall Creator's Update refuses to install: Hi, all. I've had no problems with updates on my Toshiba L50-C laptop until trying to install version 1709. The update wouldn't download last night, so I shut down and ran the WU troubleshooter this morning. Then it downloaded, but got stuck 'preparing to install' at...
  6. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not. 95662
  7. fall creator update

fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324
  8. Fall Creators Update 1709 Failed to install - need help

Fall Creators Update 1709 Failed to install - need help: To begin here our PC specs currently running Windows 10 Home Version 1607 (build: 14393.321) [img] I'm now a member of the Fall Creators Update Failed to install group. I've tried to install with windows update and this came up. [img] I've tried using the media...
  9. Fall Creators Update

Fall Creators Update: I just bit the bullet and went to Microsoft site and tried to install it. It hung up stuck on 24% and stayed there for an hour so I pulled the plug and it has gone back to the previous version. Now what? 99881
  10. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: I work for a company that has about 200 desktop and laptop running Windows 10 (most are HP's)on our own domain and after the fall creators update, we have experienced Unauthenticated network messages as well as download issues in all browsers (Edge, IE 11, Chrome, Firefox)....