Windows 10: Fall creators update installing despite being on business branch

Discus and support Fall creators update installing despite being on business branch in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; To my horror after the monthly patch installation Windows suddenly starts preparing the fall creators update. I DO NOT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN BUT CANT... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Win10usr, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Win10usr Win User

Fall creators update installing despite being on business branch

To my horror after the monthly patch installation Windows suddenly starts preparing the fall creators update. I DO NOT WANT THAT TO HAPPEN BUT CANT STOP IT. This doesn’t look good at all. Just triple checked my settings, there is really stated ‘current branch for business’. I start to panic a bit, to be honest because I have really no time for this now. WHY DOES MICROSOFT NEVER LISTEN TO WHAT ITS USERS WANT??? I have SO extremely enough of this. *Huh

anyone else experincing this behaviour also today?

Greetings,

Ron.

:)

Win10usr, Nov 13, 2017
  2. tunepunk Win User

Pen issues after the Fall Creator update

If you use Win 10 pro. Go to settings > Update & Security. In windows update you can select advanced options. There you can choose current branch for business and defer feature updates up to 356 days. Changing those setting and 1703 will not update to 1709
    fall creators update for at least a year.

tunepunk, Nov 13, 2017
  3. Entegy Win User
    Judge emoji not showing correctly on PC with Windows 10 Creators Update

It looks like this emoji is not properly supported in Creators Update despite being on the Emoji 4.0 list. I see the same thing on my Creators Update PCs.

Good news is that it's fixed on my Insider PCs, so at worst, it'll be fixed with the Fall Creators Update later this year.

Entegy, Nov 13, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I assume you have Win 10 Pro- is that correct?

And then you have deferred the delivery of 1709 upgrade, like me.

No, I've not seen any sign of 1709 being offered.

Your GP Editor should look sthg like this:

Fall creators update installing despite being on business branch [​IMG]

Note the number of days.

I have a second line of defence: I've set updates to Notify - so I should get an Action Centre notification of any pending update.

Now you see the update, you may have the chance to hide it (disable it).
    Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

dalchina, Nov 13, 2017
  5. Win10usr Win User
    looks like that indeed, right now I lost another system to this bug. Will try to restore an image and setup days to block. Indeed it’s pro, paid a lot for that even. I am in deep shit at the moment. WHY is every update a deep dive into the unknown???

Win10usr, Nov 13, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Nov 13, 2017
  7. Win10usr Win User
    Why the f*** isnt there an option cancel implemented? Incredible! I am extremely pissed off and stressed.

Win10usr, Nov 13, 2017
  8. Win10usr Win User

There are several reasons I cant run this update yet. Thats why I spend a lot of money for a Pro-version. Which MIcrosoft obviously treats as a Home version. Waste of money.

Win10usr, Nov 13, 2017
  9. Win10usr Win User
    Unfortunately, it looks like there is a huge bug in this KB. On business machines it indeed installs 1709 without checking the chosen business branch. That’s not good news at all and the first complaints are slowly appearing *Sad It happens directly after the install of the latest KB and a check for new updates. Which happens after a restart or new boot for example. No way of stopping it anymore. I have an idea though, will let you know if it works. For now: Houston, we have a problem.

Win10usr, Nov 14, 2017
  10. msmith Win User
    Just made an account here just to say I have encountered the same issue. Updates were set to CBB in the Settings app but not in gpedit.

I managed to cancel the installation by manually rebooting (while it was 'preparing to install update') and then stopping the Windows Update service. Next I enabled the relevant policy in gpedit, and for now the 1709 update seems to have disappeared from the pending updates...

msmith, Nov 14, 2017
  11. Win10usr Win User
    in other forums I see people complaining about it also. Either it’s a huge bug or Microsoft shows everyone the middle finger. I am trying again now after restoring an image from last week. Directly after logging in I set the numberbof days to defer a feature update to 180 days, this seems to work. For now. It worries me deeply though that an upgrade to 1709 can be rolled out at any random moment. How is this possible? Either a blunder of huge proportions or the well-known attitude ‘we know what’s best for you’. I am preparing for switching to another OS. It will be either a Mac (expensive but very reliable) or Linux Mint with a virtual machine to run Office. Windows 10 doesn’t work at all for me. I am self employed and since I had to buy a laptop with Windows 10, I wasted huge parts of my life on solving problems, especially around updates. The whole mechanism of that sucks, it’s totally unreliable and comparable to Russian Roulette. Windows 10is either for gamers or light home users, but certainly not for professional use. Especially not if it’s not maintained by a large IT-department of a company.

Win10usr, Nov 14, 2017
  12. Gordon7 Win User
    Gordon7, Nov 22, 2017
  13. Win10usr Win User

Tnx for the info! The patch will arrive too late for most people. If it wasn’t done on purpose, it was a stupidity of gigantic proportions. It cost me and others huge amounts of time. Still very angry and actively looking at Mac’s. Also not perfect, but still much more reliable then this Windows-junk. Incredible.

Win10usr, Nov 23, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    Another argument for setting updates to Notify (apparently not possible with Home now)- so you have to approve it. I avoided one update to 1703 a while back before I was ready for it because of that.

dalchina, Nov 23, 2017
  15. roy111 Win User
    And how do you know t will not "upgrade unexpectedly", what i read is:

"Windows Pro devices on the Current Branch for Business (CBB) will upgrade unexpectedly."

do not see your solution proposed as a work around, but we sure can set updates to Notify and hope *Wink

roy111, Nov 23, 2017
Thema:

1. Fall creators update installing despite being on business branch - Similar Threads - Fall creators update

2. Fall creators update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fall creators update.: How do i stop or block this virus you call the fall creators update, 3 times this year it's uploaded itself onto my computer and every time i've had to revert to the previous build. Each time it installs itself i loose 3-4 hours of work time because i can't use my computer,...
  3. Unable to install Windows Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to install Windows Fall Creators Update: My computer has been trying to install this update for over a week. Each time I get this error message "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 - Error 0x80070057" I have tried everything I can find on the net to counter this error message. My question is,...
  4. Fall Creator's Update refuses to install

Fall Creator's Update refuses to install: Hi, all. I've had no problems with updates on my Toshiba L50-C laptop until trying to install version 1709. The update wouldn't download last night, so I shut down and ran the WU troubleshooter this morning. Then it downloaded, but got stuck 'preparing to install' at...
  5. Current Branch vs Current Branch for Business

Current Branch vs Current Branch for Business: Using Creators Edition. I have 3 Win 10 Pro machines. In Updates > Advanced all three are set for Business and are grayed out. Since these are used at home, which option would be better ? GPedit.msc didn't change. Where can I make a change ? My guess would be in the...
  6. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not. 95662
  7. fall creator update

fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324
  8. Fall Creators Update

Fall Creators Update: I just bit the bullet and went to Microsoft site and tried to install it. It hung up stuck on 24% and stayed there for an hour so I pulled the plug and it has gone back to the previous version. Now what? 99881
  9. Fall Creators Update fails to install

Fall Creators Update fails to install: Attempted from 16299.15 ISO. Suspect something to do with AMD 17.7.2 driver (latest for this system) since it aborts at 33%. [img] Edit: Today I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 16299.15 on a unused partition. It installed with any issues and Windows 10...
  10. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: I work for a company that has about 200 desktop and laptop running Windows 10 (most are HP's)on our own domain and after the fall creators update, we have experienced Unauthenticated network messages as well as download issues in all browsers (Edge, IE 11, Chrome, Firefox)....