Windows 10: Fall Creator's Update refuses to install

Discus and support Fall Creator's Update refuses to install in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, all. I've had no problems with updates on my Toshiba L50-C laptop until trying to install version 1709. The update wouldn't download last... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Casey, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Casey Win User

Fall Creator's Update refuses to install

Hi, all.

I've had no problems with updates on my Toshiba L50-C laptop until trying to install version 1709.

The update wouldn't download last night, so I shut down and ran the WU troubleshooter this morning. Then it downloaded, but got stuck 'preparing to install' at 85 or 86%. So I ran the troubleshooter again.

This time it downloaded, and hung at 100% preparing to install...and then the download started again.

I've reset Windows Update using the instructions I found here, and this has been the current state of play for the last half an hour.

Fall Creator's Update refuses to install [​IMG]

Please bear in mind when offering solutions that I am not very technical at all, and freak out easily. I would appreciate simple instructions on how I can fix this, whether that involves getting version 1709 or not.

Thanks,

:)

Casey, Oct 25, 2017

2. Media Creation Tool in Windows Insider Build 17025.1000

I am unable to persuade MCT to work on 2 different computers with 17025 installed. I am trying to make installation media for Creator's Update for a Non-Insider PC. If I try, I just get error 0x80072F76-0x20017.

On this other desktop PC I installed Fall Creator's with no problem, but a couple of days later Windows refused to load, so I am trying a cleean install of Creator's.

WilliamTStevenson, Oct 25, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 Build 16299.19 Double Login Screen Problem

-------------------------------------------

Hello PA Bear,

> Did you choose to install Fall Creators Update manually or...?

It was downloaded and installed automatically on 10/17/17 through the Widows 10 update. And at that time i was running the most up to date Creators Update.

> Were you running Win10 1709 OS Build 16299.0 prior to installing Fall Creators Update?

No... 1703 Creators

Leprechaun J, Oct 25, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, please post a screenshot using Minitool Partition Wizard (download, install), expand columns where necessary to make text visible and post a screenshot.
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon. Then Browse to your image, select it and upload it. E.g. png, jpg. Thanks.

Before upgrading - which is a significant process- it would be wise to create a disk image of your existing Windows, so if something goes badly wrong you have a way back.You can do that using Macrium reflect (free) (option Backup Windows)+ an external disk to store disk images
    (We strongly recommend the routine use of disk imaging- lets you restore your PC even if your disk fails and you need a new one).

When upgrading please
    - disable any AV
    - disconnect any unnecessary peripherals
    - make sure you have at least 500Mb of unallocated space on your system disk
    - ideally 20Gb or more free space on C:

You may prefer to attempt the upgrade manually - i.e. download the iso file, then start the upgrade:
    Download Windows 10 ISO File

dalchina, Oct 25, 2017
  5. Casey Win User
    Thanks, dalchina.

Here's the screenshot:

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,

Casey, Oct 25, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, first reaction is the somewhat unfamiliar terminology used... I've only seen it in textual descriptions.

Here's my layout for example:

That said, EFI partitions are also known as ESP (but I've never seen one before).
    The 16 Mb partition is typical
    C: has to be Windows
    WinRE is a term used for the Recovery partition, but I've not seen it on a disk like that. Also that partition is a lot larger than normal- 450Mb is typical.

HDDR - I've no idea what that is.

Note it has no drive letter, so is not visible to Windows - it's also quite big. Any ideas?

Where did this installation come from originally? Was the PC bought with Windows on it, or was it clean installed? Has it ever been a dual boot configuration?

Sorry, just a bit puzzled... probably someone's seen something like this before and can comment.

Here I've used Minitool Partition Wizard, rt clicked on my EFI partition, then clicked explore.
    Does yours look similar?

Could you do the same for WinRE and HDDR and post those?
    I'd just like to be sure what we're looking at.

Also please post your Windows build:
    Windows key + R, winver
    and a screenshot of
    Settings, System, About

Please confirm you can access Safe Mode via SHIFT + left click Restart - your PC will restart, follow through the prompts to a screen where you have a vertical numbered selection - press 4
    (This does a quick check on the recovery partition)

dalchina, Oct 25, 2017
  7. Casey Win User
    I bought the machine with Windows 10. I have no clue about the HDDR partition, and don't feel comfortable meddling with anything here.

Casey, Oct 25, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

After those quick checks, the only thing you'd need to do with the partition is to shrink C: by- let's say 2Gb (more than your existing recovery partition, just to be cautious).

Why? It's quite normal for Windows to create a new recovery partition on upgrading. If there's no space, it can't.

dalchina, Oct 25, 2017
  9. Casey Win User
    I've hit a wall, and can't do any more today. It seems to be proceeding as planned. Will report back if I have any further issues.

Casey, Oct 25, 2017
  10. Casey Win User
    Apologies for double post, but having looked at the Toshiba website, it doesn't seem that my particular model is supported for the Fall Creator's Update. Odd.

Casey, Oct 25, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    Good to check that; many PCs are upgraded beyond the OS officially supported by their manufacturer, and even though not tested with Win 10. And the owner just assumes they should and will work ok.

That's a risk, and many take that risk without considering it. If it works, great, if not, cry for help.. and it may need a fudge, or perhaps not be possible.

Incompatibilities can be unexpected- my old PC got very hot in Safe mode after upgrading to Win 8. I guess low level driver incompatibility.

That your PC now fails in the upgrade process may be nothing to do with incompatibility.

That MS has offered you the upgrade suggests your PC is not on a list to which the upgrade should not be offered.

As I said, safest course is to create a disk image before upgrading.

As a one time engineer, using things outside their spec is not good.

dalchina, Oct 25, 2017
  12. Casey Win User

Can I check the recovery partition without going into Safe Mode?

Casey, Oct 25, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

That all looks fine.. I was just curious 'cos of the different names and sizes. Ok, so you have the CU, latest build, so Windows update has been running ok- that's good too.

I can only guess the HDDR partition is your manufacturer's recovery partition - to restore your PC to as it was when bought. You're not short of space, so can just be left as is.

Just to check the Recovery partition is correctly associated- boot to Safe Mode as I said.

Then please create your first disk image of what you have now to an external disk (which needs to be at least more than half the used space on your disk) using e.g. Macrium Reflect (free). That's just being cautious.

Then shrink C: by 2Gb using Minitool Partition Wizard.

Then download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) to check your disk.

If ok, then you can either download the iso manually, and try the upgrade again, or try via Windows update- I'd recommend the former as it may take more than one attempt.

This time, disable your AV, do a clean boot and disconnect any peripherals you don't need- try not to use a wireless mouse.

dalchina, Oct 25, 2017
  14. Casey Win User
    After all the stress it's causing me, I don't give a damn about the upgrade. Is it possible to clear the Windows Update queue and tell it that I don't want the FCU?

Casey, Oct 25, 2017
  15. dalchina New Member
    You have Windows Home. Your only option would be to disable Windows updates.

dalchina, Oct 25, 2017
Thema:

1. Fall Creator's Update refuses to install - Similar Threads - Fall Creator's Update

2. Fall creators update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fall creators update.: How do i stop or block this virus you call the fall creators update, 3 times this year it's uploaded itself onto my computer and every time i've had to revert to the previous build. Each time it installs itself i loose 3-4 hours of work time because i can't use my computer,...
  3. Sandboxie and Fall Creators Update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sandboxie and Fall Creators Update: I don't know how many Sandboxie users we have here but there's got to be a few. If you are, and have upgraded W10 to FCU, you should install beta 5.21.6. It was released today. Sandboxie doesn't officially support FCU yet, but based on my personal case use, the beta is...
  4. Unable to install Windows Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to install Windows Fall Creators Update: My computer has been trying to install this update for over a week. Each time I get this error message "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 - Error 0x80070057" I have tried everything I can find on the net to counter this error message. My question is,...
  5. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not. 95662
  6. Fall Creator Update Query

Fall Creator Update Query: A couple of weeks ago I installed the Fall Creator Update.All installed well,but when I booted up all my Start Menu items were missing,also my about half my Desktop Icons had gone.so I reverted back to build 1703. have Microsoft sorted these things out,i am a bit unsure if I...
  7. fall creator update

fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324
  8. Fall Creators Update

Fall Creators Update: I just bit the bullet and went to Microsoft site and tried to install it. It hung up stuck on 24% and stayed there for an hour so I pulled the plug and it has gone back to the previous version. Now what? 99881
  9. Fall Creators Update fails to install

Fall Creators Update fails to install: Attempted from 16299.15 ISO. Suspect something to do with AMD 17.7.2 driver (latest for this system) since it aborts at 33%. [img] Edit: Today I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 16299.15 on a unused partition. It installed with any issues and Windows 10...
  10. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: I work for a company that has about 200 desktop and laptop running Windows 10 (most are HP's)on our own domain and after the fall creators update, we have experienced Unauthenticated network messages as well as download issues in all browsers (Edge, IE 11, Chrome, Firefox)....