Windows 10: Fall creators upgrade messed up my system

Discus and support Fall creators upgrade messed up my system in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I used the ISO to upgrade my PC to the fall update but after update the task bar is just dead clickable but not responsive. can't open start menu or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by M94Khaled, Oct 17, 2017.

1. M94Khaled Win User

Fall creators upgrade messed up my system

I used the ISO to upgrade my PC to the fall update but after update the task bar is just dead clickable but not responsive.

can't open start menu or action center or my networks or volume slider or access settings nothing working and i don't even able to access Settings to rollback to my previous windows!!! any help!!

:)

M94Khaled, Oct 17, 2017

2. Rise of Nations Extended Edition says not signed into xbox live

Glad yours is working but mine is not since the fall creators update messed up my system and I had to reinstall win 10.

JoeHattaway, Oct 17, 2017
  3. File explorer not showning hard drives after 2017 fall creator update

I did. Made some changes, restarted and system would not boot up (No operating system found). Fortunately, I imaged the system drive prior to upgrading. Currently running pre-fall creator version. Additional info, ran the fall creator update again,
    same issue. Reverted back to pre-fall creator version. Awaiting additional input/assistance. Thanks.

grampsgbesaw, Oct 17, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Press Win (windows logo key + R to open a run dialog box. Run:
    netplwiz

Click Add to add a new user account. Look for the link at the bottom of the next window that should pop up to "Sign in without a Microsoft Account (not recommended)". Click on that. Add a local user account. When you get back to the netplwiz window, click on the newly added account, then properties. Then group membership tab. Change it to administrator.

Log in to the new user account you created and see if the problem exists in the new account.

NavyLCDR, Oct 17, 2017
  5. M94Khaled Win User
    I did that and tried to open actin center and it opened only once after that the problem appeared again!!

I upgraded another machine with the same iso and didn't face that problem on it!!

M94Khaled, Oct 17, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    It sounds like you either need to revert back to the previous version of Windows, or do a clean install of Fall Creator's Update. I would go for the clean install, because it appears as if there was something wrong with your Windows install to begin with that caused this problem.

NavyLCDR, Oct 17, 2017
  7. Geneo Win User
    Having the same issue.. Every other boot the start menu, cortana , Edge etc. won't open. I have uninstalled anything that can affect this and nothing works. Safe mode is fine.

Also, when I get this hang and the start menu won't open. When reboot I get the message:

"Task Host id stopping background tasks (Microsoft \ Windows \ Plug and Play \ Device Install Reboot required)"

There should be no device install, everything is already detected and drivers loaded.

Geneo, Oct 17, 2017
  8. Hanabishi Win User

Guys, i've done some experiments and found a problem cause. This is a "Diagnostic Policy Service", try to disable it in "Services" panel.
    Or just run this in cmd (as admin):
    Code: sc config DPS start= disabled[/quote] And then reboot of course.

Hanabishi, Oct 18, 2017
  9. Geneo Win User
    Didn't do it for me, sigh. Back to CU for me I guess.

Geneo, Oct 18, 2017
  10. Reiche Win User
    I got the very same issue after installing the update via the update assistant the day before yesterday. Yesterday I decided to perform a clean install of Windows on the system drive. Fixed the problem for the moment, had a few trouble free boots yesterday and earlier today. Now I installed some anti virus software (Panda Anti Virus Free) and the problem appeared again. Uninstalling fixed the problem for now.

Now I realised it might have been caused by the AV software yesterday as well. I read some advice somewhere and thus removed all unnecessary USB devices and uninstalled the AV software before performing the update.

Gonna try other AV software now and I'll report if the problem happens as well.

Pretty pissed right now I didn't think about the AV software before doing the clean install.

Regards,

Edit: I just remembered I had the latest Intel chipset driver in mind which updated after running the Fall Creator's Update.

Reiche, Oct 20, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    Just wondering if it's related to your graphics driver. One person found that reverting to an older version allowed them to use their start menu with the FCU.

dalchina, Oct 20, 2017
  12. Geneo Win User
    I only use defender. I tried removing all USB devices too. Neither worked for me.

Geneo, Oct 20, 2017
  13. Reiche Win User

Right now my system is working with Avira Free Antivirus.

Moreover, I had and still have the latest graphics driver installed (387.92), didn't make a difference as it is working now.

Reiche, Oct 20, 2017
  14. Geneo Win User
    What did you do to get it working?

Geneo, Oct 21, 2017
  15. Reiche Win User
    Hi Geneo,
    I did a clean install of Windows on my C drive, removing anything from that drive. However, the problem appeared again after installing Panda Free Antivirus software - which was the very first program I installed. Removing Panda AV fixed the problem again. I tried another AV software (Avira) and it's running just fine now. But you already mentioned you're only using Windows Defender, so unfortunately this will be little help for you. =(

I just tested if I can reproduce the problem and in fact: I installed the Panda software (this time on D drive, as I'm slightly re-arranging stuff) and when I rebooted stuff was irresponsive again and I got the .../Plug and Play/Device Install Reboot Required message again on shut-down. Second reboot is working fine again, so it's this odd "every other boot" behaviour again.

If it's of interest for you or anyone out there, I can provide more info about my system. However I think it's strange the problem re-appeared after installing Windows on a "naked" hard drive.

Just some basic info: MSI X99A Raider mainboard, P.5 bios, Intel i7 i5820k, system drive is a M2 ssd Samsung MZHPV128HDGM, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 RAM.

Reiche, Oct 21, 2017
Thema:

1. Fall creators upgrade messed up my system - Similar Threads - Fall creators upgrade

2. How To Stop The Fall Creators Upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How To Stop The Fall Creators Upgrade: I tried to use the method I used to stop 14393.1715 from upgrading to The CU but with 15063,632 that method stops all updates. Does anyone know of a workable one as 16299 will not work properly on my PC. 94817
  3. After upgrading to fall creator, Printer not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After upgrading to fall creator, Printer not working: Yesterday, I upgrade windows to fall creator and now my HP 1020 Plus printer (2017 Mfg) is not working. I ran the MS troubleshooter but it did not find any problem. 97000
  4. Fall Creators Upgrade, ATI PowerPlay, BSOD

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Fall Creators Upgrade, ATI PowerPlay, BSOD: fresh install to fall creators update, installed legacy drivers as usual (v10.2). this time, if i try to change powerplay settings windows gives me a BSOD. does anyone know if it is possible to set/change something in the .inf file to reduce power consumption?!...
  5. System Tunup Prior to Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System Tunup Prior to Fall Creators Update: Hi All System Tuneup prior to Fall Creators update, then again I may just do a clean install, not sure yet Windows 10 Pro x64 15063.540 AMD FX 8310 8 Core Radeon R7 240 video card Avast Free Antivirus Malwarebytes3 Mainly want the best performance and system...
  6. Upgrade to Fall Creator affects Start menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade to Fall Creator affects Start menu: I did the Fall Creator update and found that my Start Menu and Tiles did no longer contain my apps. Regular programs, Office, Edge, etc. show up as they should but apps like facebook, MyRadar, Solitaire(s), etc. do not. The apps are still on the computer and can be accessed...
  7. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not. 95662
  8. fall creator update

fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324
  9. Fall Creators Update

Fall Creators Update: I just bit the bullet and went to Microsoft site and tried to install it. It hung up stuck on 24% and stayed there for an hour so I pulled the plug and it has gone back to the previous version. Now what? 99881
  10. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: I work for a company that has about 200 desktop and laptop running Windows 10 (most are HP's)on our own domain and after the fall creators update, we have experienced Unauthenticated network messages as well as download issues in all browsers (Edge, IE 11, Chrome, Firefox)....