Windows 10: Fall Update - Restore Points Turned Off

Discus and support Fall Update - Restore Points Turned Off in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; The fall update removes all restore points - cannot restore to prior to update. Also, it turns off protection settings in CP/System... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by lagunasrfr, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Fall Update - Restore Points Turned Off

The fall update removes all restore points - cannot restore to prior to update.

Also, it turns off protection settings in CP/System Protection/Configure. You will have to press button to turn on system protection and assign disk space for restore points. Would probably be a good idea to do this first thing after Fall Update completes and create an initial restore point.

:)

lagunasrfr, Nov 15, 2015
  2. poker123 Win User

windows 10 update

After the new windows 10 update,fall creators update, I had no system restore points and all the protections on my hard drives were switched to off. I thought all updates were preceeded with installing a new restore point should anything go wrong with
    the update. Is this a bug or new procedure?

poker123, Nov 15, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    windows 10 update

Hi Poker123,

When Windows 10 installs a major Update like the Fall Creators Update, it removes all Restore Points. this is done to maintain System File Integrity.

If say you chose to restore after a major update like this, your system would be a mixture of pre and post update system files and would therefore become unstable . . .

Your best option after each major update is to turn system protection back on and create a restore point . . .

DaveM121, Nov 15, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Fall Update - Restore Points Turned Off

Well, I would agree with MS that the restore points for the old build should be deleted for obvious reasons.

But I totally disagree with MS in that they have overidden my choice to have restore points enabled. Without warning.

(And to be consistent with that, the user should really be advised to make an image backup prior to this (kind of) update. Sorry, upgrade).

dalchina, Nov 16, 2015
  5. Mine wasn't turned off? After a clean install it was enabled for my Windows drive and turned off for my Data drive. Just the way I left it before doing my clean install.

alphanumeric, Nov 16, 2015
  6. Alphanumeric - did mine through Win update process.

lagunasrfr, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Fall Update - Restore Points Turned Off

1. Fall Update - Restore Points Turned Off - Similar Threads - Fall Update Restore

2. Is it safe to turn off my PC while making a system restore point?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it safe to turn off my PC while making a system restore point?: My computer started making a system restore point by itself, It has been doing so now for the past 40 minutes. Is it safe to shutdown my pc?...
  3. Is it safe to turn off my PC while making a system restore point?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it safe to turn off my PC while making a system restore point?: My computer started making a system restore point by itself, It has been doing so now for the past 40 minutes. Is it safe to shutdown my pc?...
  4. Is it safe to turn off my PC while making a system restore point?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Computer turned off during system restore point

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer turned off during system restore point: i was doing system restore point but the power went off and i think windows is corrupt i can’t go in safe mode but i can go to advanced option and stuff i have tried everything in the advanced options and many command prompt commands is there a way to recover the image...
  6. How can I turn on Restore Point?

How can I turn on Restore Point?: Hello, How can I turn on Restore Point? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-turn-on-restore-point/7fa08ef3-148a-4f66-a315-1619199306a2
  7. System Restore Turned off after updates

System Restore Turned off after updates: I know many have complained that after any major update, Windows turns off System restore and deletes all restore points. Though I can understand why this might be important when a system has been updated I cannot understand why it doesn't automatically create a new restore...
  8. System Restore Points turned off after Major Updates

System Restore Points turned off after Major Updates: Today I did the update to Version 1903. After the update I went to see if I had restore points as after the last Major update it was turned off and I lost all my restore points. Alas, again, the system restore was turned off so I again lost all my restore points. Why do...
  9. *UPDATE ON SYSTEM RESTORE POINTS*

*UPDATE ON SYSTEM RESTORE POINTS*: A little bit of backstory: I downloaded a safe program bundled with a bunch of PuPs. Blind me didn't see the custom install feature. Anyways, because all the PuPs slowed down my PC by 25%, I wanted to make sure they were ALL GONE, so I preformed a system restore to a point...
  10. Fall Creator Update Screen Turn Off Issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creator Update Screen Turn Off Issue: Ok, since the 1709 update my screen turns off after 3 minutes. No matter what. No matter what my screen setting or sleep setting is at. A billion minutes or Never. Screen shuts off in 3 minutes with the lid up. The pc doesn't go to sleep, just the screen turns off. I've...