Windows 10: Fall update v.1709 creates problems: CPU usage and Desktop wallpaper

Discus and support Fall update v.1709 creates problems: CPU usage and Desktop wallpaper in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; First one is very high cpu usage for two new services: Service Host: Local Service (No Network) (3) Service Host: Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bardos, Oct 18, 2017.

1. bardos Win User

Fall update v.1709 creates problems: CPU usage and Desktop wallpaper

First one is very high cpu usage for two new services:
    Service Host: Local Service (No Network) (3)
    Service Host: Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

Cannot maintain my own desktop wallpaper, it always reverts to the default win10 wallpaper.

Anyone else experiencing this? A fix?

:)

bardos, Oct 18, 2017

2. Service host : local service (No Network) (3)

I followed the instructions from Fall update v.1709 creates problems: CPU usage and Desktop wallpaper - Page 5 - Windows 10 Forums. It worked for me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resetting Windows Defender Firewall indeed solved my issue. I did with the procedure indicated in the thread above,
    Settings -> Update and Security -> Windows Defender -> Open Windows Defender Security Center -> Firewall and Network Protection -> Restore Firewall default settings

DorinBerian, Oct 18, 2017
  3. Windows 10: apply theme programatically

Why? What's the usage scenario?

There's IDesktopWallpaper if you want to update the desktop wallpaper...

zachd [MSFT], Oct 18, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

No, none of the above. Task Manager shows those two service hosts at 0%, and my wallpaper (before and after the upgrade) is a slideshow changing once a minute.

5. Hanabishi Win User
    Expand it, look which of services exactly drains.

Hmm, you can disable ICS service if you don't need it. (Not using wi-fi adhoc sharing or so.)

Hanabishi, Oct 18, 2017
  6. bardos Win User
    I have ICS service disabled and it still is eating 25% of CPU according to task manager

bardos, Oct 18, 2017
  7. Hanabishi Win User
    Can't be *sarc
    Sure you disabled it (as on the screenshot)? And rebooted after?

Fall update v.1709 creates problems:  CPU usage and Desktop wallpaper [​IMG]

Hanabishi, Oct 18, 2017
  8. Cliff S New Member

See if you are syncing your theme, and turn it off:

Cliff S, Oct 18, 2017
  9. bardos Win User
    And rebooted, yes.

it says "Starting" ... strange

bardos, Oct 18, 2017
  10. bardos Win User
    It's off, yeah. Not synced

bardos, Oct 18, 2017
  11. Hanabishi Win User
    Ok then, looks like it trying to start and drains CPU.
    You can disable it from the "msconfig", uncheck this service on the services tab.

Hanabishi, Oct 18, 2017
  12. bardos Win User
    In MSCONFIG/Services, it does not appear... still draining 25% or so...
    Service Host: Local Service (No Network) (3) is draining 35%

bardos, Oct 18, 2017
  13. bardos Win User

I may have fixed the wallpaper issue by logging on to a Microsoft account instead of a local account.... the excessive CPU usage remains,

bardos, Oct 18, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    If it only happens in one local account it may have a corrupt profile. Try another local account as a check.

15. Hanabishi Win User
    Enable it back in the services, to make it appear in the msconfig. Then uncheck.

Expand group to see what exactly drains. I suppose it will be "Superfetch".

Hanabishi, Oct 18, 2017
Thema:

1. Fall update v.1709 creates problems: CPU usage and Desktop wallpaper - Similar Threads - Fall update 1709

2. Updating Windows 10 v.1709...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Updating Windows 10 v.1709...: I have a system that has Windows 10 Pro v. 1709. Can it be updated directly to v.1809, or the v.1803 required to be installed first? Or rather... What would be the most trouble free way to get this system to the latest version? TIA... 123063
  3. Fall Creators update breaks older wallpaper menu usage

in Windows 10 Customization
    Fall Creators update breaks older wallpaper menu usage: I've use this: Code: C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl, @desktop[/quote] to change my wallpaper settings for so long, I feel lost now that its not usable! Maybe someone with some smarts will fix that for us diehards *Cool. 95885
  4. Win 10 - Fall Creators Update 1709 - Logon Screen Problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Win 10 - Fall Creators Update 1709 - Logon Screen Problem: Hi, I have update three machines to the new Fall Update, and all of them have the same issue with the Logon Screen. I have had the 'Cave' picture to be shown when logging in and after installing the Fall Update, this picture was replaced by the stupid Mountain Lake. Ok,...
  5. Fall Creators 1709 Update Issue Possibly

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Fall Creators 1709 Update Issue Possibly: Hi All Not sure if this is a real issue or not, but it shows Other Updates all Failed, is it Related to Avast Free 17.8? or just a Windows 10 Update glitch, or nothing to be concerned about, I can try the update reset if need be 97860
  6. After Fall Creators 1709 update Cellular and Ethernet problem appeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    After Fall Creators 1709 update Cellular and Ethernet problem appeared: The Verizon WWAN connection works if no Ethernet present and Wifi is off. Plug in Ethernet cable (static or dhcp to non internet router) and the Cellular connection changes to private so we lose internet. If I turn on wifi and connect it to a non internet router - then the...
  7. Fall Creators Update (1709) Remote Desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fall Creators Update (1709) Remote Desktop: After upgrading window 10 to the Fall UC, i'm having some problems with remote desktop: two pc both with 1709: Sometimes the login stuck and i only see the login image with the user icon but it does not enter the descktop, some other times it ask for password again, it...
  8. Hard Disk Usage After Fall Creators Update 1709

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard Disk Usage After Fall Creators Update 1709: I installed the FCU 1709 today. About an hour ago, I was looking at my C: drive properties and I lost about 20 GB's with the install. Are there some very large download/install files on my C: drive that can be deleted now ? My C: drive is SDD 128 GB and before the install, I...
  9. Fall Creators Update v. 1709 Keeps Restoring to Previous Version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fall Creators Update v. 1709 Keeps Restoring to Previous Version: Hi, I've never had a problem updating my Win 10 Pro up til now. But for some reason, I am unable to go from current version 1703 to latest version 1709. I'm using the Windows 10 Update Assistant - which downloads the files and runs the installation. The computer then signs...
  10. Windows Fall Creators Update 1709 Problems Please Help

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Fall Creators Update 1709 Problems Please Help: Hello,I have successfully installed the update But my Acer Aspire F 15 Notebook wont Reboot and shuts of when I use AIMP4 and A Browser at the same time,there are other issues but this is the worst,in generally my pc runs like the wind.*Mad 100134