Windows 10: Fall upgrade failed to install, PC cannot reinstall windows

Discus and support Fall upgrade failed to install, PC cannot reinstall windows in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi. I built a new PC last week. Everything was working fine, save for some problems with the DVD drive recognition dropping out (old driveproblemsI... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Esco91, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Esco91 Win User

Fall upgrade failed to install, PC cannot reinstall windows

Hi. I built a new PC last week. Everything was working fine, save for some problems with the DVD drive recognition dropping out (old driveproblemsI think) until I tried to install the latest MS update. This took around 8 hours, with the screen on 98% complete for most of this time, then the system rebooted and started telling me 'the previous version of Windows will be reinstalled'. This was around 12 -14 hours ago - the computer is still dispaying this screen.

Any advice on what to do here?

:)

Esco91, Dec 19, 2017
  2. yaozk Win User

Why my Windows 10 retail version become OEM version?

I bought Windows 8.1 Pro (retail version) in 2015 from Microsoft Online Store, and upgrade my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 at the same year. Last year I upgraded the Anniversary update for my PC, and it failed. So, I reinstalled the OS for my PC via the official
    OS install tool. However, after I reinstalled the OS Windows 10 automatically activated and my Windows version became OEM version.

Few weeks ago, my PC was update by the system and it failed again(I cannot get into the desktop). So, I am going to reinstall the OS again. This time I want to my PC back to be retail version, so how can I do it?

yaozk, Dec 19, 2017
  3. 0xC1900101 - 0x2000C while installing Windows 10 1511

I have tried to up grade my H.P, Envy laptop to the fall update over 10 times.

I tried the standard update when I received the invite from MS, failed.

I tried to use the Media creation tool, Failed.

I tried to use Upgrade to Windows 10, Failed.

I receive this error message:

"We couldn't install Windows 10

We've set your PC back to the way it was right before you installed windows 10.

0xC1900101 - 0x2000C

The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during APPLY_IMAGE operation "

Please help,

N.

Windows 10 Fall Update continually fails- Original Title

Niall Maloney, Dec 19, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

When you installed windows which version and build was installed?
    Is the problem a windows update or upgrade?

If the problem is an upgrade the Panther logs can be troubleshooted.

In the lower left corner search type winver > post the image into the thread.
    In the lower left corner type windows update > post an image into the thread
    Click update history > post an image into the thread.
    If you see an error message or code > post into the thread

zbook, Dec 19, 2017
  5. Esco91 Win User
    I installed a brand new store purchased CD copy of Win10 OEM (German) Home 64bit 10 days ago, fresh SSD, no upgrade from Win7 or anything like that. It seems to be version 1703, the build date on the pack says 9-3-17.

Yesterday I tried to use the update assistant in win10 to update to the 'latest' settings. As I say, it spent about 7 hours installing the new update, hung at 98% for the final 4-5 hours and then after 7 hours restarted and instead of loading windows the a black screen with a moving (not frozen) circle comes up with 'Die Vorherige Version von Windows wird weiderhergestellt' (the previous version of windows is being installed). It has now been in this state for around 16 hours, with absolutely no sign of progress.

I'm now at the point where I have just downloaded an iso of the fall creators update on a usb stick, from what I have read it seems I can boot from this, and the upgrade should perform like magic or something?

Otherwise my option seems to be to remove the SSD, attach it to this laptop using a SATA to USB 3 caddy, format it then reload windows from the CD. However, I'm a little worried about doing this as it is an OEM copy and I seem to remember having had a problem doing something similar on a long previous OEM edition of windows and it being a nightmare which ended in having to contact microsoft.

Esco91, Dec 20, 2017
  6. zbook New Member
    Please post images per post #2:
    Take Screenshot in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials
    If there is any problem posting images please use one drive or drop box share links.

Language - Add, Remove, and Change in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials

Open administrative command prompt and type:
    1) sfc /scannow
    2) dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    3) chkdsk /scan
    4) Lpksetup /u
    5) slmgr /dlv
    6) When these have completed > right click on the top bar or title bar of the administrative command prompt box > left click on edit then select all > right click on the top bar again > left click on edit then copy > paste into the thread
    Post images or share links into the thread.

zbook, Dec 20, 2017
  7. Esco91 Win User
    I can't post a screenshot or enter CMD prompt because I can't enter windows, as described?

Esco91, Dec 20, 2017
  8. zbook New Member

zbook, Dec 20, 2017
  9. Techjourney, Dec 20, 2017
  10. Esco91 Win User
    I'll find out.

I have already created a downloadable USB stick with the installation tool on ready to go

Esco91, Dec 20, 2017
  11. Esco91 Win User
    OK, if I reboot then I get exactly the same screen , telling me a previous version of windows is being installed.

If I reboot with my Win 10 CD in the drive I get a lilac screen with a turquiose windows box on it, then a message telling me an upgrade has already been detected as being in progress and that I can either click yes and continue with this or no and do a fresh install. Clicking yes returns me to the dreaded loop.

Now I'll try seeing what happens if I boot using the win10 usb tool thing. Edit - i get the same option with the CD.

Looking at it I am going to have to go for the fresh install option, would I be quicker/better off doing this from the CD version or from the USB stick (usb3)?

Esco91, Dec 20, 2017
  12. zbook New Member
    Either one should work.
    Speed is a guess.

If the CD is 1703 then use the iso which should be 1709.

Delete partitions > make an unallocated drive > install windows 10 1709 > perform updates > install drivers > install applications

zbook, Dec 20, 2017
  13. Esco91 Win User

Cool, cheers - gone with the USB stick option as you say, it's later and I may as well come out of this with something!

Looks like the installation process is a little different in this version too, with a 'helpful' audio assistant!

Esco91, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Fall upgrade failed to install, PC cannot reinstall windows - Similar Threads - Fall upgrade failed

2. Reinstall of of Windows 10 failed - 0x8007025D - 0x2000C The installation failed in the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reinstall of of Windows 10 failed - 0x8007025D - 0x2000C The installation failed in the...: Had problems performance/graphics card etc with a recent Windows update and despite my best efforts came to conclusion that i needed to re install windows. Used the media creation tool to do this but presume near the end of the process i get the error ..We couldn't install...
  3. Reinstall of of Windows 10 failed - 0x8007025D - 0x2000C The installation failed in the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reinstall of of Windows 10 failed - 0x8007025D - 0x2000C The installation failed in the...: Had problems performance/graphics card etc with a recent Windows update and despite my best efforts came to conclusion that i needed to re install windows. Used the media creation tool to do this but presume near the end of the process i get the error ..We couldn't install...
  4. Reinstall of of Windows 10 failed - 0x8007025D - 0x2000C The installation failed in the...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Upgrade install fails

Upgrade install fails: Trying to repair daughters laptop Win10 updates have failed for 2 years and every boot takes 10 minutes of heavy activity before it is usable. Attempts of "Troubleshooting" to repair updates have failed, which implied some files are corrupted. Tried suggested delete update...
  6. Windows Installation failed and unable to reinstall Windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Installation failed and unable to reinstall Windows: Hello everyone This suddenly happened picture 1 to my laptop and it won't go away So I decided to reinstall windows on my C drive, but every time I try this message appears picture 2 and I'm unable to reinstall windows on my C drive Error message 1 picture 1: repairing...
  7. Cannot reinstall windows or reset pc.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot reinstall windows or reset pc.: Whenever i try to reinstall windows with the windows media tool, or reset using the built in system, it always encountered an error and starts to undo the changes made. how can i fix this so i can reset my pc? Edit: Specs- gtx 1070ti core i7 7700k 32gb corsair vengeance ram...
  8. Windows upgrade fails -- cannot uninstall a device

Windows upgrade fails -- cannot uninstall a device: Trying to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 using Setup. Dell laptop XPS 15Z. Eventually get to a place where the upgrader says it needs to uninstall incompatible things including Microsoft Security Essentials. One of these is a Cypress TrackPad app. I have uninstalled this...
  9. Upgrade or Clean Install Windows 10 Fall creators update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade or Clean Install Windows 10 Fall creators update: Hallo, my name is mochaffff. I want to ask about upgrading from windows 10 home to windows fall creators update, so my laptop acer swift 3 i7 is preloaded with w10 home, and i want to upgrade it to w10 fall creators update, but im confused how do upgrade it bcs i dont want...
  10. Fall Creators Update fails to install

Fall Creators Update fails to install: Attempted from 16299.15 ISO. Suspect something to do with AMD 17.7.2 driver (latest for this system) since it aborts at 33%. [img] Edit: Today I did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro 16299.15 on a unused partition. It installed with any issues and Windows 10...