Windows 10: Fallout4 and Deadspace3 will not start

Discus and support Fallout4 and Deadspace3 will not start in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I recently had to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 to solve update problems. The reinstall went well, except that most of my games will not start;... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by tybee, Aug 14, 2016.

1. tybee Win User

Fallout4 and Deadspace3 will not start

I recently had to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 to solve update problems. The reinstall went well, except that most of my games will not start; i.e. Fallout4 (Steam) and Deadspace3 (Origin) won't, but Dragonage Inquisition (Steam) will. Those that won't present the message: Performing first time setup... Installing DirectX for Windows... where it fails. At the first attempt to start the game it has installed some things but couldn't install DirectX. The final message reads: C:\Windows\System32\xactengine3_5.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it comtains an error. Error status 0x000012f. I looked for solutions and found many references to Visual C++ issues but did not find any helpful solutions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:)

tybee, Aug 14, 2016
  2. amir1012 Win User

fallout 4 has stop working

hi my name is Amir

i bought fallout 4 and install it totally but when i run it it says fallout4.exe has stop working and my hardware can support it how can i fix it?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Install, upgrade, & activate

amir1012, Aug 14, 2016
  3. Windows will not sleep and will not start screen saver

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Try to follow these methods, mentioned below:

Method 1:

Power troubleshooter:

You can run the Power troubleshooter to adjust your computer's power settings. The Power troubleshooter checks things like your computer's timeout settings, which determine how long the computer waits before turning off the monitor display or
    entering sleep mode. Adjusting these settings can help you conserve power and extend your computer's battery life.

In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
    Troubleshooting. Under
    System and Security, click
    power Option.‌ If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Method 2:

Clean boot:

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying, if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After troubleshooting, refer to this section "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting".

Note: The troubleshooting steps in the above links are meant for windows 8, however, you can use the same for windows 10 tech preview as well.

Hope this information helps you. Reply with the updated status details, so that we could help you further.

Thank you

AntonyJose, Aug 14, 2016
  4. tybee Win User

Update. I have found references that point out that the error message "Windows\System32\ (etc)" refers to a x32 bit operating system whereas mine is a x64. It also pointed out that updating the DirectX should be done a in the Windows\Syswow64 directory. So I looked in each dircectory and saw that (1) the System32 directory only has file a xactengine3.4.dll file and (2) that only Syswow64 had the correct file name in its directory... but I have no idea how to interpret this info or what to do about it if anything. Any help would be great. thanks

tybee, Aug 15, 2016
  5. simrick Win User
    Hi.
    Please go ahead and run the sfc /scannow and let us know the results.

Perhaps @blackroseMD1, @lx07 or @dalchina will have an opportunity to drop in here and give you some assistance. *Smile

(I apologise, but am not a gamer...)

simrick, Aug 15, 2016
  6. tybee Win User
    I ran sfc /scannow. It just finished reporting that it found no integrity violations. I was wondering, since scannow is running from the windows\system32 directory, is it checking the files in the windows\syswow64 directory? Which is where the xactengine3_5.dll file is located.
    I also wanted to add that all the games that won't run now were running ok before I performed the Windows Clean Install. Also, the only game I have found that will run is Dragonage Inquisition (on Origin). No games from Steam will run and no other game from Origin will run; all give the same error message.

tybee, Aug 15, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    SFC /scannow is a System File Check - it verifies the integrity of all Operating System files.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833
    Please type winver in the search bar and run the task; post a screenshot; black out your name at the bottom.
    Thanks.

simrick, Aug 15, 2016
  8. tybee Win User

I ran winver:
    Fallout4 and Deadspace3 will not start [​IMG]

tybee, Aug 16, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    Okay so you're still on the November update - that's fine.
    Type dxdiag in the search box and run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
    "NEXT" through each tab, and at the bottom box on each one, it should say no problems found.
    If you come to a page which shows a problem, please give us a screenshot.

simrick, Aug 16, 2016
  10. simrick Win User
    You have the most current video drivers installed, right?

I'd like you to run our DMCollector Tool, and post the results here. Let's see if @axe0 has some time to have a look at them for you.
    Here are the instructions.
    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

@axe0: This rig is a clean install of v1511, after troubleshooting with tybee in this thread:
    Solved Windows 10 fails to update - Page 12 - Windows 10 Forums

I hope you can shed some light on his problem. Thanks for your help. *Smile

simrick, Aug 16, 2016
  11. axe0 New Member
    Subscribed, I have some time left before my summer vacation ends *Smile

12. simrick Win User
    Cheers @axe0. Could use your expertise on this one. Thanks. *Smile

simrick, Aug 16, 2016
  13. axe0 New Member

Yes, a simple Google Search gives me a first result of the Microsoft forum saying

14. tybee Win User
    I ran dxdiag. No problems found. I then read through the DM Log Collector description and want to make sure you understand that my system does not crash nor suffer any BSOD issues; it just tries to load DirectX when I try to load a game. Which fails with the error message and then waits for the next instruction. At that point I usually just do some other computer activity with no problems.

tybee, Aug 17, 2016
  15. tybee Win User
    I ran the DM Collector tool. HERMAN-Wed_08_17_2016_163858_51.zip

tybee, Aug 17, 2016
Thema:

1. Fallout4 and Deadspace3 will not start - Similar Threads - Fallout4 Deadspace3 start

2. One drive renaming game settings files, Fallout4.ini Fallout4Custom.ini Fallout4Prefs.ini...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    One drive renaming game settings files, Fallout4.ini Fallout4Custom.ini Fallout4Prefs.ini...: Hello hello.So I have different computers and they use different kind settings because hardware.One drive changes ini-files names like Fallout4-computer name.ini Well, this is not okay. These ini-files are in OneDrive - Personal/Documents/My Games-folder, where steam puts...
  3. One drive renaming game settings files, Fallout4.ini Fallout4Custom.ini Fallout4Prefs.ini...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One drive renaming game settings files, Fallout4.ini Fallout4Custom.ini Fallout4Prefs.ini...: Hello hello.So I have different computers and they use different kind settings because hardware.One drive changes ini-files names like Fallout4-computer name.ini Well, this is not okay. These ini-files are in OneDrive - Personal/Documents/My Games-folder, where steam puts...
  4. One drive renaming game settings files, Fallout4.ini Fallout4Custom.ini Fallout4Prefs.ini...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Where to start? How to start?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where to start? How to start?: I have downloaded Visual Studio 2019. Exceptionally brilliant languages, platforms and project types but the problem is I do not know how to code completely. So from where should I start and how?...
  6. Start Menu No Start

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start Menu No Start: When I select my Start Menu, I receive a critical error message. I uninstalled the last Windows update but that didn't solve the problem. submitted by /u/HalfFoods [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fq6m3a/start_menu_no_start/
  7. "Start Perfect" Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Start Perfect" Start Menu: [img] Here is my start menu. All tiles change colors when I change the theme! 51562
  8. Game problems after Win update (Fallout4 & SC Blackl.)

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game problems after Win update (Fallout4 & SC Blackl.): Hi guys. Sorry if I'm reposting something. I googled my problems and nothings come up too reliable. I was playing Fallout 4 a lot for a few weeks before I got the new Windows 10 update. When I started playing again after the update, the game was lagging and became...
  9. Start-up item not starting.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start-up item not starting.: In Program Files folder I have a file called "ClocX.exe". If I double-click on it the clock appears on my Desktop. But in Task Manager > Start-up I cannot get ClocX.exe to apear automatically on start-up whatever I do: drag ClocX.exe (or its Shortcut) on to the Start-up...
  10. Start starts slow, Search, Cortana Won't Start

in Windows 10 Support
    Start starts slow, Search, Cortana Won't Start: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586] So apparently after a recent "update" (let it be known I don't like the Win 10 lack of update control) The Start opens slowly (click once and wait 2 seconds), Search (Magnifying Glass) does not launch and Cortana from the Menu...