Windows 10: Falls Update removed my built-in admin acct

Discus and support Falls Update removed my built-in admin acct in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Win 10 Home, version 1709 OS Build 16299.19 I had 2 accts. My own admin acct and the built-in admin acct. That has been my habit to have an emergency... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by davidhk, Oct 17, 2017.

1. davidhk Win User

Falls Update removed my built-in admin acct

Win 10 Home, version 1709 OS Build 16299.19
    I had 2 accts. My own admin acct and the built-in admin acct. That has been my habit to have an emergency admin acct.

Today, I've found out the built-in admin acct was gone.
    I am not sure if it happened after I installed 16299.15. I did not think of checking because I always leave my computer at sleep mode when not in use with wake up without password
    After 16299.19 installed, today I did a Restart and realized the Built-in Admin Acct is missing.
    Furthermore, one strange thing has happened. When I signed in, the screen blinked once and came right back to sign in screen. I signed in again, and I got in.
    I tried the Switch User option and there was no built-in admin acct.

I am posting this just to find out if someone else has the similar encounter.

:)

davidhk, Oct 17, 2017
  2. BE_H Win User

how can I set a pswd for the admin acct - Win 10 ?

I'm referring to the built-in admin. acct. The reason I enabled it was for troubleshooting. I always use a defined user acct. for day-to-day use. I want to assign a pswd to the build-in admin. acct.

thanks

3. Windows 10 Mail and Calendar apps not opening when signed on in Family Member acct.

1. when you ask "Have you login to Local account or Microsoft account?", are you referring to my admin acct or my wife's family acct?

2. I get NO error messages. I highlight the tile and the tile border line appears. I left click on it. The border line goes while the mouse button is depressed and when it is released all that happens is the borderline reappears until I move the cursor
    away from the tile.

3. Other Apps(eg weather) operate ok and the app loads fine when I'm signed on using the admin acct.

Issue appears to be only with Mail/Calendar Apps and only on the family acct NOT the admin acct.

When running the built-in Windows Store app troubleshooter(when on the family acct) , I would normally left click but using left or right prompts me to sign in as administrator.
    "Troubleshoot Compatibility" is not mentioned in the process so I'm not sure where you get that from. NO problems are found.

So, when you say " remove these emails accounts from the Mail app and re-add it" which email accts are you referrring to, the ones in the family acct or the ones on the admin acct or all. I can't remove the e-mail accts in
    the family acct as the mail/calendar apps WILL NOT OPEN. What do you mean by "re-add it"? Do you mean the email accts or the App??

allen c 1952, Oct 17, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Not gone, just disabled.

By default, the built-in Administrator account is disabled. The upgrade to Fall Creators Update has probably reset it to the default. If you open a command prompt and type net user administrator it will tell you if the account is active or not. You should be able to make it active again and carry on as before.

*Arrow Enable or Disable Elevated Administrator account in Windows 10

5. davidhk Win User
    I already have the built-in admin re-enabled.

Thank you.

davidhk, Oct 17, 2017
  6. davidhk Win User
    That must be the answer why.
    Thank you.

davidhk, Oct 17, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    That's another one to add to my list of 'thing that get reset to their defaults'. Some others I've found are Fast Startup gets turned back on (I had it turned off), Defrag is set to automatically defrag all drives (I had it set to just CFalls Update removed my built-in admin acct :) and the image viewer is set to Photos (I had it set to Windows Photo Viewer). All easily reset, but it's annoying that I have to each time there's an upgrade.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Falls Update removed my built-in admin acct - Similar Threads - Falls Update removed

2. bypass user acct admin password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    bypass user acct admin password: i bought a laptop 2nd hand an the user account installed is password protected as an admin account, i cant even use anything in control panel without password it wont let me add my printer, i dont mind doing a complete wipe ...but i have no windows operating system to...
  3. bypass user acct admin password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bypass user acct admin password: i bought a laptop 2nd hand an the user account installed is password protected as an admin account, i cant even use anything in control panel without password it wont let me add my printer, i dont mind doing a complete wipe ...but i have no windows operating system to...
  4. Another only admin acct hidden

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Another only admin acct hidden: (Thanks to W10 Tweaker for the redirect.) Ref: Hidden Administrator account, no backup admin W10H 1909 (18363.815), ASUS laptop i5-8250, x64, 8GB, 250SSD. So I did the same thing. Working on my son's computer, annoyed that everybody's login shows up on the front screen. He...
  5. Admin acct

in Windows 10 Customization
    Admin acct: I am admin. I read that I should also have a standard user acct for everyday work. How do I set that up? Then how will I know which acct I'm in? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/admin-acct/3fceec95-1516-406c-bade-b6610f105070
  6. removing a user acct

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    removing a user acct: I am giving my old laptop to a grandson. How do I remove my user acct and start one for him? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/removing-a-user-acct/a032f121-b5ba-45d4-86e8-1e0b311416fd"
  7. Can't access Admin acct., admin files are still there

Can't access Admin acct., admin files are still there: I just transferred from Windows 7, and everything worked except for the fact that the admin account on the computer (also the superuser account) cannot be accessed. The account shows up in the Users file under the Local Disk, but I can't access it by signing out and signing...
  8. Make Exact Duplicate of Admin. Acct and Transfer It to Standard Acct

Make Exact Duplicate of Admin. Acct and Transfer It to Standard Acct: My new laptop (Lenovo P51) is about 3 weeks old and maybe the first or second day along with my login administrator account which I have been booting into I created a standard acct as well as a second administrator account. The reason for the standard acct is probably obvious...
  9. Built-In Admin Issue

Built-In Admin Issue: Hello, I recently encountered an issue while cleaning my mother's pc. She has a win 10 home hp laptop, with her own profile as administrator; and somehow while resetting the pc to restore some files lost in a power outage, I managed to turn on the built-in admin profile....
  10. Non Admin acct questions

Non Admin acct questions: Setting up new machine. I first created an Admin acct on my wife's new machine when it started the OOBE questions etc. I got that acct all setup and then updated (long time downloads) and installed a few apps. Everything working fine there. Ok now I've set up a Non Admin...