Windows 10: False properties for external drive

Discus and support False properties for external drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I have a 6TB Samsung D3 external drive formatted in NTFS which I use for backups I have a backup folder/subfolder then 2 further subfolders... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by robgr, Mar 8, 2018.

1. robgr Win User

False properties for external drive

Hi
    I have a 6TB Samsung D3 external drive formatted in NTFS which I use for backups
    I have a backup folder/subfolder then 2 further subfolders (89.9GB & 86.3GB)
    Win Explorer/properties reports the 2 higher level folders as 89.8GB (the size of the oldest of the 2 subfolders)
    However, WinDirStat details the size of the 2 lower level folders as 666.6GB & 606.2GB (total 1.2TB)
    Why has Win Explorer got this discrepancy?
    As it was out by a rough order of magnitude it stuck out
    CystalDiskInfo doesn't show anything of note
    Any ideas?

:)

robgr, Mar 8, 2018
  2. pdomino Win User

Windows 10 does not give me the option to eject external hard drives

And you are right clicking on the external hard drive properties?

pdomino, Mar 8, 2018
  3. Error 0x800701E3: The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error

Hi OmPrakashYD,

Looks like the might be a problem on your external drive, please try this:

- Right click on the external hard drive File Explorer and select properties.

- In the properties window, click on the Tools tab.

- Click on 'check’ under Error Checking.

- Report back here with the result.

Erik Moreau, Mar 8, 2018
  4. AndreTen Win User

Check also with Wiztree and Treesize and compare individual file sizes. Some programs have problems with symbolic links

AndreTen, Mar 8, 2018
Thema:

1. False properties for external drive - Similar Threads - False properties external

2. Will the Owner property of files on an external drive change when the external drive simply...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will the Owner property of files on an external drive change when the external drive simply...: I am concerned with the "Owner" and "Computer" properties of a file just right click a file and select "Properties", then in the "Details" tab, there are the "Owner" and "Computer" properties,I just plugged my external hard drive into a PC just call PC_new with Windows 11...
  3. Will the Owner property of files on an external drive change when the external drive simply...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will the Owner property of files on an external drive change when the external drive simply...: I am concerned with the "Owner" and "Computer" properties of a file just right click a file and select "Properties", then in the "Details" tab, there are the "Owner" and "Computer" properties,I just plugged my external hard drive into a PC just call PC_new with Windows 11...
  4. False indication of Locked Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    False indication of Locked Drive: What is the problem:When I open "This PC", double clicking on either C: or D: does nothing no error response nor feedback.There are no Event Viewer entries when I tried to double click the drives.If I right click and select "Open" or "Open in new window", both drives can be...
  5. False indication of Locked Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    False indication of Locked Drive: What is the problem:When I open "This PC", double clicking on either C: or D: does nothing no error response nor feedback.There are no Event Viewer entries when I tried to double click the drives.If I right click and select "Open" or "Open in new window", both drives can be...
  6. False indication of Locked Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. external USB hub not working property

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    external USB hub not working property: I have a keyboard and mouse that share a single USB receiver. I also have a webcam and microphone sharing a single USB cable. I have a 2-port USB KVM switch with audio TK-209K. If I plug the the webcam/microphone cable directly into one of the USB port on the computer, both...
  8. weird drive properties

in Windows 10 Support
    weird drive properties: There is a compress option missing on one of my USB drives. None of my drives is compressed. I just can't explain why the option is missing. windows 10 1909 [img] 160320
  9. Computer Assigned A False Drive Letter - Cannot Access External Hard-D

Computer Assigned A False Drive Letter - Cannot Access External Hard-D: Hi. Here's a screen shot. Woke up and fired up computer this morning. Went to access my External Hard-Drive. I have several of these, and the one I needed has been assigned drive letter G: Was showing up as 'I' and not letting me access. Upon closer look it...
  10. False Boot Drive?

False Boot Drive?: I have two disks listed as boot devices when my computer boots up, however I want to skip selecting the disk and boot directly to my SSD (Disk 1) instead. The other drive listed(Disk 3) just goes to a blank screen when selected. In This PC the icon for Disk 3 is faded....