Windows 10: Family Just Ordered Me a Newer PC, Some Security Questions

Discus and support Family Just Ordered Me a Newer PC, Some Security Questions in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi All Not sure if it's gonna have Windows 8.1 Pro or Home as yet, (Current Desktop has Windows 10 Pro), but if I end up with Home, no big deal, I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by AMDMan2016, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Family Just Ordered Me a Newer PC, Some Security Questions

Hi All

Not sure if it's gonna have Windows 8.1 Pro or Home as yet, (Current Desktop has Windows 10 Pro), but if I end up with Home, no big deal, I can reupgrade to WIndows 10 Pro later on, or next Christmas or whenever I have more money.

Security Question is
    Should I stick with Windows Defender on Newer System, or Continue using Avast on Newer System?
    I already use Malwarebytes Free as well

Just wanna reduce programs installed once new one arrives, and enjoy gaming on it, music and such

:)

AMDMan2016, Jan 3, 2016

2. Help me install a newer version of a program just to try it without uninstalling the original version?

I'm sure you read in my clearly thought out & written Question that "the program developer" hasn't been in business since a long time ago or at least that they sold their rights to this product to another company long ago, maybe a decade ago. Therefore,
    they surely wouldn't be able to or anxious to provide support on an ancient software product.

That's why I came here to ask this, since it will need to reside & operate on Microsoft's operating system.

But whatever. Maybe I'll ask the same thing in the Tech Republic forum or find a forum of users of the old versions of JASC's Paint Shop Pro program.

Jeff A. Davis, Jan 3, 2016
  3. Help me install a newer version of a program just to try it without uninstalling the original version?

I understand enough to know that various processes that are written into the coding of a program will be handled differently based on how it was written. I guess my only hope, since the company either no longer exists or doesn't support that program since
    they sold it so long ago, would be to either find a user forum and hopefully get some good advice or to just try it myself. I could also go thru the whole ugly process of uninstalling my old version, try the new, and then decide where I want to go from there.

Jeff A. Davis, Jan 3, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Family Just Ordered Me a Newer PC, Some Security Questions

As far as security is concerned, it does not matter if the OS is Win 8 or Win 10.
    If you are satisfied with the program(s) you have been using, continue using Avast and Malwarebytes.
    This subject could easily, in this forums that is, turn into multiple pages and hundred of posts.

The key is : Each to his/her own. It depends on your needs and how you use your computer. What works for others does not necessarily workable to you.

Bottom line : If you are satisfied with the program(s) you have been using, continue using the same.

davidhk, Jan 3, 2016
  5. Yeah guess will stick with current programs after all, am happy with them, just thought i'd ask to be sure lol, guess really didn't need to even post this after all.

AMDMan2016, Jan 3, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    No, no. It's always good to ask.
    That's how we learn.

davidhk, Jan 3, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    Hi.
    You might want to consider adding Malwarebytes Antiexploit (MBAE). It has a very small footprint, runs in the background (unlike MBAM free) and protects your browser from new "zero-day" threats that the AVs may not be detecting yet.

A layered approach is always best, especially with all the crypto malware going around now. No one program will protect from everything.

simrick, Jan 4, 2016
  8. Family Just Ordered Me a Newer PC, Some Security Questions

Yes will consider MBae as well on the new system...current one no use adding at this point lol, but will set it up on the newer one definitely

AMDMan2016, Jan 4, 2016
  9. simrick Win User
    *Thumbs Have fun with the new rig!

simrick, Jan 4, 2016
  10. Thanks...fun part is not at first lol, installing everything, but at least can check out performance while it installs all my various programs

AMDMan2016, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Family Just Ordered Me a Newer PC, Some Security Questions

1. Family Just Ordered Me a Newer PC, Some Security Questions - Similar Threads - Family Ordered Newer

2. Microsoft Family Question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Family Question: I have a question. If I have a child microsoft account can my parents/Administrator see what I log into on my browser. I would really like to know? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-family-question/2e3d7d80-ee89-4a4c-881e-ed5789960286
  3. Microsoft Family Question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Family Question: I have a question. If I have a child microsoft account can my parents/Administrator see what I log into on my browser. I would really like to know? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-family-question/2e3d7d80-ee89-4a4c-881e-ed5789960286
  4. just a question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    just a question: what's the difference between windows 11 home and windows 11 pro education, I just upgraded mines but don't see any difference https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/just-a-question/d120c8d0-54fa-4f77-95ae-7368f2fc2b81
  5. just a question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    just a question: what's the difference between windows 11 home and windows 11 pro education, I just upgraded mines but don't see any difference https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/just-a-question/d120c8d0-54fa-4f77-95ae-7368f2fc2b81
  6. Question about boot order

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about boot order: I have a question about boot order. I have an Optiplex 9020 with Windows 10 21H1 on a 240 gb ssd and a 1 tb hdd for storage. Windows boots just fine but I was looking in bios and noticed that my first boot device is 'hard drive' rather than 'windows boot manager.' Can someone...
  7. Newer PC crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Newer PC crashing: Hello I have a newer PC that is running windows 10 that seems to keep crashing. I have updated everything and tried my best to figure out how to solve the problem or how to share the problem with the community for help. In the event viewer it reads an error as The...
  8. Some General Newer Computer Questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Some General Newer Computer Questions: Question #1: first question is, is it bad to use the button on case daily to turn off the RGB Lightning prior to sleeping? i could sleep with it, wouldn't bother me i don't think, but lately been switching it off nightly. Just worry a bit if i turn it off too much, might...
  9. Macrium Question of Newer Version

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Question of Newer Version: I am currently on v6 latest and all is good. Got to reading here and the newer v7 has been released. My question is that I read that there were several updates already from 7.1.2607. To update which is the way: A - use the current 7.1.2619 because the Macrium updates are...
  10. Some questions:

in Windows 10 Support
    Some questions:: Win10Pro-x64, i5 2500, 16GB RAM 1) TrustedInstalleiter: When will you finally make this system easily overridable? I'm not even master in my own system then? 2) UAC: Often I'm prevented from installing programs by UAC, same question: when will you make this finally...