Windows 10: Fast boot, is it a good thing or bad ?

Discus and support Fast boot, is it a good thing or bad ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I personally enjoy it, makes a pc load fast, what am i missing > i see on many answers around the board disable fast boot 77890 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tonez, Feb 22, 2017.

1. tonez Win User

Fast boot, is it a good thing or bad ?

I personally enjoy it, makes a pc load fast, what am i missing > i see on many answers around the board disable fast boot

:)

tonez, Feb 22, 2017
  2. korngear Win User

Mini USB interface - good or bad thing?

Mini USB is obviously a good thing. It is stable.

korngear, Feb 22, 2017
  3. Mini USB interface - good or bad thing?

mini USB all the way, you can use any usb cable that has mini usb...

friedbrains, Feb 22, 2017
  4. Ztruker Win User

Fast boot cause problems for many people. I'm one of them.
    Only disable it if you are one of those people.

Ztruker, Feb 22, 2017
  5. tonez Win User
    so i ask what is the problem ?

tonez, Feb 22, 2017
  6. pparks1 Win User
    I've not had any problem with it, so I leave it on.

pparks1, Feb 22, 2017
  7. DavidE Win User
    I have multi-boot PC's and it causes problems for me.
    When i restart (W7) it needs to run check disk for every drive when booting.
    Takes a long time, and messes things up.
    I turn it off in W8.1 and W10.

DavidE, Feb 22, 2017
  8. Ztruker Win User

Following from an article on HowToGeek.com: The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode
    Read the section under Why You Might Want to Disable Fast Startup.

Ztruker, Feb 23, 2017
  9. I have SSD's for my OS drives so there isn't much benefit to having it on. When enabled I can't access my BIOS settings during boot up. Including my quick boot menu to select booting from USB media. I have to then drill down through Settings to get to the Boot to UEFI option. If that PC has UEFI. This PC doesn't so I can't get there from here. I have to turn Fast Startup off and reboot. yadda yadda yadda. I just turn off hibernation from the command line, which also gets ride of the hyberfile.sys file for me.
    IMHO, it boils down to how you use your PC. Its an inconvenience for me so I disable it. I'm not a big fan of Sleep or Hibernation mode to begin with.

alphanumeric, Feb 23, 2017
  10. For the record, I have the BIOS Fast Boot option on. The OP mentions Fast Boot and the assumption is they meant Windows Fast Startup. Two completely different things.

alphanumeric, Feb 23, 2017
  11. Good point, but I consider both as evil, so either have both on or off.

It is really up to user if a few secs faster boot is worth giving away something in return. I usually turn on the computer only once a day, then I go to make a coffee or something, so I do not care, if it takes 10 secs or a minute, considering I will have more reliable computer, there is really no choice to make for me.

TairikuOkami, Feb 23, 2017
  12. AddRAM Win User
    Ya maybe someone could explain what Fast Boot in the Bios is for ??

Is it just an Asus thing ?

AddRAM, Feb 23, 2017
  13. Edward Win User

I left it on even on SSD, I like the fast boot but when I insert my other SSD which have Linux installed on it I turn it off.

Edward, Feb 23, 2017
  14. AddRAM Win User
    Doesn`t skip it on my board, I mean my boot is fast but it doesn`t skip the post.

But I do disable the splash screen and set the timer to 1 second.

AddRAM, Feb 23, 2017
Thema:

1. Fast boot, is it a good thing or bad ? - Similar Threads - Fast boot thing

2. Is fast startup bad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is fast startup bad?: I am running windows 11 on a NVME SSD with 512gb storage is fast startup bad for my pc?SSD:WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ-512G-1006 512.1 GB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-fast-startup-bad/0e7c20d1-f175-44a0-afc4-eb0dffee6089
  3. Is fast startup bad?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is fast startup bad?: I am running windows 11 on a NVME SSD with 512gb storage is fast startup bad for my pc?SSD:WDC PC SN530 SDBPNPZ-512G-1006 512.1 GB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-fast-startup-bad/0e7c20d1-f175-44a0-afc4-eb0dffee6089
  4. Automatic Updates Good or Bad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic Updates Good or Bad?: Hello.So, since Windows XP, there was an automatic updates feature. But I'm one of those people who DON'T like it. I just want to see your opinion about this feature....
  5. A good but A BAD update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A good but A BAD update: Hi!Yesterday I updated my windows from Win7 to Win10.When i opened windows explorer I saw that my disk D: is missing..I tryed to update the drivers or search for it in Disk Management but i can t find it. I opened the command prompt and type diskpart..Here i search for my...
  6. signing in as administrator, good or bad?

in Windows 10 Customization
    signing in as administrator, good or bad?: I've been told I should not be signing in as an administrator on my laptop when I'm going to be using the internet. Is that true? If so, how do I sign in on my laptop without administrator privileges?...
  7. Is Fast Boot/Startup good or bad for a HDD?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is Fast Boot/Startup good or bad for a HDD?: Why is it good or bad whether it's turned on or off? 146224
  8. Apps - The Good Bad & the Ugly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps - The Good Bad & the Ugly.: Hi, Not asking anyone to solve this problem really but just wishing to raise the subject of problematic Apps which for me are spoiling my satisfaction of Windows 10. Windows 10 for me is working fine and I like it. that is all but the Apps which are a complete pain. Here is...
  9. New Tools is this a good or bad thing ????

in Windows 10 Support
    New Tools is this a good or bad thing ????: New tools promise to unlock the potential of Windows 10 Mobile and Lumia smartphone. Can Windows Phone Internals bring the hacker community back to the fold? Windows Phone has a very ironic history. Back in the mid-2000s it was the operating system for hackers, tinkerers...
  10. Is the "Upgrade" a good thing to get?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is the "Upgrade" a good thing to get?: I have an icon on my homescreen that's called "Windows Update assistant". When I clicked it in the past, it would tell me that my Windows Updates needed to be current in order to work, so I made sure to do that. Now, I clicked it and it mentioned something about a Win10...