Windows 10: Fast Start and shutdown behaving a little oddly.

Discus and support Fast Start and shutdown behaving a little oddly. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have 'Fast Start' enabled in power options. It is ticked as being on. That said it is only fair to say that I deliberately did have it turned off... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mooly, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Mooly Win User

Fast Start and shutdown behaving a little oddly.

I have 'Fast Start' enabled in power options. It is ticked as being on.

That said it is only fair to say that I deliberately did have it turned off while initially clean installing and setting up FCU a couple of weeks ago.

So... a few days ago I turned it back on and noted that start up times were more where I would expect. About 14 seconds which is a little slower than I had been getting on my previous x86 install. Still good though. Without 'Fast Start' enabled they are nearer 20 secs.

Shutdown is odd. I am still getting the same 'slow' shutdown as if Fast Start' was not enabled, and this can be anything up to 20 to 25 seconds. I am using the Start Menu right click option to shutdown.

My power plans are set to allow the power button to also 'shutdown' and I find when I use this method I get a shutdown time of just 3 or 4 seconds compared to 20 to 25 seconds using the start menu option. Having shutdown from the power button I found the restarts (edit... meaning a cold start) are very quick, around 10 seconds.

So the bottom line appears to be that the start menu shutdown is not doing what it should but the power button shutdown is.

:)

Mooly, Oct 28, 2017

2. Explorer Behaving oddly

The issue doesn't present itself on the new account. though then again that account has an almost empty onedrive folder whereas my main has 350GB

alexanderkibbe, Oct 28, 2017
  3. Explorer Behaving oddly

My windows explorer has been having some odd behavior that just started recently. Specifically it just doesn't load the files its seeing properly. The files still exist and other programs have no problem finding them.

Best case (opens but doesn't load icons and can't reorder files ie, by name/date)

Fast Start and shutdown behaving a little oddly. [​IMG]

Worst case (doesn't even load any files.)

Any other program still seems to be able to access the files just fine, IE from a recent file list, so the files are still there and can be read just fine.

Restarting the explorer process can somtimes restore some functionality and SOME of the icons load, like so

I dont know if its related but the ability to take screenshots is also no longer functional. I optained the above using the 'snipping' tool as the printscreen button doesn't do anything.

restarting the computer breifly restores full functionality but eventually it reverts to the above behavior.

alexanderkibbe, Oct 28, 2017
  4. Fast Start and shutdown behaving a little oddly.

With this batch script you can automatically close apps not responding at shutdown in Windows. Please execute the batch script as a administrator.

FreeBooter, Oct 28, 2017
  5. dalchina New Member
    I suppose you might wonder if something is limiting the write speed to your disk- saving to hiberfil.sys on shutting down.
    (A number of people have reported transfer rate limitations)

But a simpler consideration is this:
    Fast startup saves data to hiberfil.sys on shutting down. A straight shut-down which 'only' has to close processes and not prepare for fast start-up requires less work.

Do you really want Fast startup anyway?
    Windows 10 Fast Startup could be detrimental to your computer
    Recommending Users Turn Off Fast Start | Norton Community

dalchina, Oct 28, 2017
  6. Mooly Win User
    The odd thing though is that shutdown via the power button (its a laptop) is seemingly consistently rapid, I timed it at just 2 seconds last time. Do the shutdown via the start menu option and its 20-25 seconds. That's what I don't understand.

My last CU installation had rapid shutdown via either method.

Do I want fast startup... well I always used the default setting in the past and never had any issues, and I only got curious when it cropped up in a thread a month or so back.

Why should shutdown via the power button be different to using the start menu option ?

Mooly, Oct 28, 2017
  7. Mooly Win User
    Thanks *Smile There are no apps open, nothing hanging, it just does a normal standard shutdown via the start menu.

Mooly, Oct 28, 2017
  8. Fast Start and shutdown behaving a little oddly.

Shutdown delay is caused by Windows waiting for applications and services to respond to the shutdown command. I don't know why there is a delay when computer is shutdown from Windows 10 but what i know is computer will shutdown faster if you use my batch script.

FreeBooter, Oct 28, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Processes do need to shut down cleanly and save data and settings in some cases.

dalchina, Oct 28, 2017
  10. Mooly Win User
    Another odd discovery in all this. Right clicking the start menu and selecting shut down (as I always have) gives the slow shutdown. If I left click the start menu and use the shutdown available from the 'Power' symbol I get the instant shutdown.

Mooly, Oct 29, 2017
  11. Mooly Win User
    I'm actually wondering if something has changed with FCU. Reading Shawns W8.1 Tutorial on Fast Start and there is specific mention that using what I refer to as the start menu shutdown does indeed do a full shutdown and not the hybrid shutdown.

Second image here:
    Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 8

And this is what is happening for me.

Mooly, Oct 29, 2017
  12. Shutdown must have been changed with FCU now we have new feature which saves your open programs so it can be started again when you login to Windows i'm sure saving open programs must slow down shutdown.

FreeBooter, Oct 29, 2017
  13. Mooly Win User

Executive decision made *Smile As I run an SSD I'm going to go with turning off Fast Start. Boot times are only around 6 or 7 seconds longer, and in many ways it makes more sense (to me) to have the system fully shutdown each time rather than wonder whether everything is behaving itself (drivers unloading and so on) when using fast start.

The curiosity as to 'why' FCU has behaved liked this remains however, particularly as all previous versions of W10 (for me at least) did not seem to show these differences in which method you chose to shutdown. Maybe a different driver has been installed... quite likely actually... but I'm just guessing on that, and whether that could have an effect. The W8.1 tutorial suggests what I observed is normal. In any event I don't think there is any inherent issue or problem, it just is the way it is.

Mooly, Oct 30, 2017
  14. Steve C Win User
    Honestly, just turn off Fast Start Up if you have an SSD based system. I'm very surprised it makes as much as 6 secs longer to boot when turned off.

Steve C, Oct 31, 2017
  15. Mooly Win User
    Thanks Steve. It is consistently around 6 seconds slower to boot, but differences in shutdown times still remain depending on which method is used, power button, start menu right click option and start menu left click option. I can't get a handle on what was going on there at all.

Mooly, Oct 31, 2017
Thema:

1. Fast Start and shutdown behaving a little oddly. - Similar Threads - Fast Start shutdown

2. make a little bit fast

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    make a little bit fast: I know and accept that my computer is not compatible with Windows 11. I just want to make it a little bit faster. This is only 2 and half years old and this PC is up to date. However, when I try to browser or do something it will load slower. This is just for home use and Im...
  3. make a little bit fast

in Windows 10 Gaming
    make a little bit fast: I know and accept that my computer is not compatible with Windows 11. I just want to make it a little bit faster. This is only 2 and half years old and this PC is up to date. However, when I try to browser or do something it will load slower. This is just for home use and Im...
  4. make a little bit fast

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows behaving oddly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows behaving oddly: Hi My PC froze while playing a game and after restart the windows 10 has been acting weird. First it takes long to login and the screen goes from black to back and windows keeps reopening file manager. And now when that is over when I click the startup button or the search...
  6. Windows 10 behaves oddly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 behaves oddly: I am on the latest build. And suddenly its started behaving strangely. Keyboard doesn't works properly, tried changing keyboard and tried on screen keyboard but not working. It thought it could be a malware found some suspicious apps deleted them but still probelm not solved....
  7. Windows Defender behaving oddly...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender behaving oddly...: Hi. Several manual attempts to run Defender in Windows 10 Pro on a Dell 7280 (RAM 16g and SSD at 65% capacity) resulted in only 15 files being scanned using both Quick and Full scan modes. Windows, Defender and all updates appear to be current. Defender was set for...
  8. DVD drive behaving oddly

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD drive behaving oddly: Well, my DVD drive has been behaving oddly of late. I use it mostly for audio playback with my aging but still great CDs and occasionally for trying to make a bootable DVD ISO. (So far, no luck.) But after the system goes to sleep and reawakens the drive is invisible and...
  9. Fast Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Fast Shutdown: Ever since I updated my computers to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, my computers are not shutting down in fast shutdown mode. Can I turn the feature back on or is this a bug until Microsoft can update the OS with a fix? All of my computers have the UEFI BIOS. So,...
  10. Windows Explorer behaves oddly

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer behaves oddly: When I double click on a drive or directory, normally Explorer shows the contents. Now it displays a message this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or if one is already installed, create an association in the...