Windows 10: Fault trying to share photos from phone to laptop via Bluetooth

Discus and support Fault trying to share photos from phone to laptop via Bluetooth in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I could transfer photos from my mobile to my laptop running windows 8.1 by selecting "share" then Bluetooth on my phone. I updated my laptop on 29th... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SlainteMhath, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Fault trying to share photos from phone to laptop via Bluetooth

I could transfer photos from my mobile to my laptop running windows 8.1 by selecting "share" then Bluetooth on my phone. I updated my laptop on 29th July to Windows 10 and have been testing the upgrade to ensure I can accomplish all I wish.
    When attempting the same process the following message appears on my phone "The device you're trying to send to doesn't support sharing over Bluetooth"
    No settings were changed on my phone and only the upgrade was performed on my laptop. I can still transfer both photos and videos from my laptop to my mobile by selecting "send" and "Bluetooth Device". There are various workarounds but they all take more time. Thank you in anticipation of assistance

:)

SlainteMhath, Aug 2, 2016

2. bluetooth transfer of photos from smartphone in Windows 10

Hi

I have just upgraded laptop to Windows 10 from 8.1 and tried sending photos from smartphone to laptop. I set up my phone in bluetooth devices under settings and successfully paired smartphone to laptop. Then tried transferring photo.

First try the message said sending photo - but no message received on laptop to say file was being received so I could save it; the photo just disappeared. So deleted bluetooth device from laptop and laptop from phone and set it up again.

The second try resulted in message on phone saying photo had not been sent.

I have looked for the bluetooth exchange folder which used to be there in Windows 7, but it is not there in Windows ten on the laptop. I have not yet upgraded on my desktop from 8.1 - but it that folder is not in documents there either

Please tell me where is the bluetooth exchange folder in Windows 10 and 8.1 and how I can get photo transfers via bluetooth from phone to laptop & desktop.

My husband has a computer with windows 7 on it and the transfer works OK on that computer

Frustrated

Valerie

valeriejoan, Aug 2, 2016
  3. LCRT Win User
    Transferring videos from Lumia 635 to another phone ?I

but it does have a share via bluetooth. if you haven't found it, that's not "windows" fault.

can't you see the share button on the photos app when opening the video? or can't you see the share button when selecting the video file on the file manager app?

oh, hang on, surely it must be windows' fault Fault trying to share photos from phone to laptop via Bluetooth :p

LCRT, Aug 2, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

Fault trying to share photos from phone to laptop via Bluetooth

Is the Bluetooth service running in Services? Do you have a choice in Network in Settings for Blue Tooth? Did Bluetooth work correctly before you upgraded to 10? Did you reinstall your Wifi Chipset drivers and the Bluetooth utility for the Control Panel?

bro67, Aug 2, 2016
  5. While waiting for replies I solved this - in Windows 10 by the following steps where -> means click/select.
    • Start -> Settings-> Devices -> Bluetooth.
    • At this point ensure Bluetooth is on and device you wish to make the transfer from is listed and paired.
    • At the bottom of the same page under Related Settings -> Send or receive files via Bluetooth -> Receive files.
    • The Waiting for connection page appears stay on this page and initiate the transfer from your device.
    • The file is being received window appears with a progress bar when this is complete you will be asked where to save the file and Finish
    It appears these steps have to be performed for each individual file transferred therefore I've pinned the Settings window with Bluetooth selected to the task bar.

SlainteMhath, Aug 3, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    It should not be that way. Something is messed up. I would suggest going into Device Manager and uninstall the driver and device, reboot and reinstall the latest drivers.

bro67, Aug 3, 2016
  7. That's the way it works on my HP laptop. Only I just click on Bluetooth in the Action Center to turn it on and it takes me to the settings>Bluetooth window where I can send/receive files.

CADesertRat, Aug 3, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

It is supposed to do it that way, but Microsoft once again screwed the pooch when they pushed out the Anniversary.

I finally gave up, since Linux Mint 18 is full of bugs, Windows 10 is getting really bad for those of us who are power users, but Microsoft stealing features away that we need to accomplish stuff (ie gpedit.msc). I ended up just getting a MacBook Air. This fall Apple is going to give Microsoft a slap in the back of the head when they introduce Mac OS Sierra and iOS 10.

After over 30 years, I finally caved in and went renegade. Does not mean that I am not going to keep up. Just not using ever day.

Microsoft had so many chances to make sure that their OS was stable at release, like they did when XP came out. Now it is all about the all mighty dollar and making it harder on novice users to be confused, since Microsoft is not answering their requests for help.

bro67, Aug 5, 2016
  9. I agree. I've never touched an Apple keyboard so I know nothing about them but it may be time to learn.
    As to the Anniversary Update, so far I haven't received it and after reading a number of forums, I think I will click on defer for awhile.

CADesertRat, Aug 5, 2016
  10. bro67 Win User
    I was able to defer updates to 10 originally when I had the Pro version installed. When I reinstalled after having Linux Mint on the hard drive and prepping it for possible sale, It reinstalled the Home version, since that is the key in the bios and got Defer back with Anniversary.

It took me about a day to get used to the differences for the GUI and Keyboard. The one part that I like what Microsoft is doing, is allowing Bash to be used, which tells me that there is going to be a whole redesign of the OS in a couple of years, which does not help that they have drug their feet on competing with the rest of the market.

As for the original topic, there is a solution out there, just need to have someone pipe up and help the OP out if it is a wide spread problem or just a small group with certain Wifi chipsets having issues with Bluetooth. Also why is there now an Infrared shortcut in Control Panel, since Inrared transfer & control is outdated, unless they plan on using it for controlling HTPC's with TV card in them.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Fault trying to share photos from phone to laptop via Bluetooth - Similar Threads - Fault trying share

2. Can't transfer photos from phone to laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't transfer photos from phone to laptop: I've been trying to transfer the photos from my phone moto e6s to my windows laptop using a USB data transfer cable but I keep getting the message saying 'please update device to accept media transfer'. I've tried it in USB and in PTP and still the same....
  3. Can't transfer photos from phone to laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't transfer photos from phone to laptop: I've been trying to transfer the photos from my phone moto e6s to my windows laptop using a USB data transfer cable but I keep getting the message saying 'please update device to accept media transfer'. I've tried it in USB and in PTP and still the same....
  4. trying to upload photos from Android phone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    trying to upload photos from Android phone: I cannot make the photos on my Galaxy A11 phone to my Acer Aspire Laptop win 10. have followed instructions via "Settings" to install "Microsoft Media Features Pack " as I was instructed but would not install on my PC, also using a USB connection does not show photos in...
  5. Sharing internet to desktop from laptop via ethernet

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sharing internet to desktop from laptop via ethernet: I have a desktop far away from my router, no wifi adapter. My laptop has wifi connection. Windows used to have an option to share internet from a laptop's wifi to desktop via ethernet. You go to network and sharing center, click your connection, and a window "Wi-Fi Status"...
  6. Unable to connect Laptop with mobile phone or tablet via bluetooth.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to connect Laptop with mobile phone or tablet via bluetooth.: Hi Team Microsoft, I want to use the "Your phone" app of Microsoft, but when it comes to connecting the phone via Bluetooth it just pairs and then does not connect. I use Windows 10 2004 version. I checked my other Bluetooth devices like headphones and they work perfectly....
  7. locate photos sent via bluetooth

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    locate photos sent via bluetooth: used new Bluetooth dongle to transfer some photos from my mobile phone however I can't find them on my PC. where do I look? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/locate-photos-sent-via-bluetooth/52c2dc28-a060-4568-8140-00b7cf635299"
  8. bluetooth files from phone to laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    bluetooth files from phone to laptop: Im running windows 10 on my laptop, I have Bluetooth pictures from my phone to laptop but now I cant find where the pictures were sent....can you help me find??...
  9. Not able to share a photo from the app in windows 10 via email

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not able to share a photo from the app in windows 10 via email: When I attempt to share a photo within the photo app (Windows10) and select "mail", I keep getting the message, "Choose which account to send the email from" and none of my emails pop up as an option. What am I missing here? I have both MSN and Outlook accounts linked in my...
  10. When words fail try Mojis and photo sharing on Windows Phone

in Windows 10 News
    When words fail try Mojis and photo sharing on Windows Phone: Sometimes words just aren’t enough to really capture how you feel. So, we’ve released Mojis and photo sharing to Windows Insiders for the Preview of Skype Integration for Windows 10 Mobile. These features will also be rolling out soon for everyone to enjoy in the Preview...