Windows 10: FBI Bitcoin Trojan virus, BSOD, and NTLDR missing Win 10 new install

Discus and support FBI Bitcoin Trojan virus, BSOD, and NTLDR missing Win 10 new install in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi- frustration is running pretty high. Purchased a Dell XPS in November and installed Windows 10. While browsing Facebook last week, I tried to... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Morgana, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Morgana Win User

FBI Bitcoin Trojan virus, BSOD, and NTLDR missing Win 10 new install

Hi- frustration is running pretty high.

Purchased a Dell XPS in November and installed Windows 10. While browsing Facebook last week, I tried to watch a video but got a message saying my flash drive needed updating. I went to Adobe and downloaded and installed the latest version, only to restart my computer and find that Firefox would no longer run due to a firewall issue (can't remember the exact wording). So we turned off the firewall and got Firefox working again. All seemed well. This morning I awoke to the blue FBI screen demanding payment in Bitcoin to unlock the computer. I wasn't terribly concerned, as we have had this happen before, and the hubs found the fix online and all was made right.

This time however, we cannot even access a boot screen. We have the BSOD and the error message that says

NTLDR is missing
    press ctrl+alt+delete to restart

....which is an endless cycle leading to the same error message each time.

Any online instructions for fixing this all assume we have performed an online upgrade from an older OS, which isn't the case here. This is a brand new install of Windows 10.

Any ideas?

:)

Morgana, Jan 3, 2016
  2. [ Pete ] Win User

Police ransom trojen / FBI Cyber Police on Windows Phone

Hans is correct, there's no virus, no trojan and the FBI Cyber Police message is fake.

[ Pete ], Jan 3, 2016
  3. Sigge00 Win User
    HDD (xp) to HDD (win10) switch boot issues

So i had a complete PC booting and running XP aswell as another one running win 10, no issues there.

Now, the problem started when i took out both of these HDD which had win 10 and xp installed upon them and put the win 10 HDD into the PC which previously had the HDD with xp on it, tried to boot it and i get the error message: "NTLDR is missing"

Now, from what i understand win 10 doesnt use NTLDR to boot but rather uses BOOTMGR or something like that. Could the PC be trying to boot my win 10 HDD using the NTLDR "system"?

do i have to change some kind of setting within BIOS? Aprreciate any and all help!

/Sigge

Sigge00, Jan 3, 2016
  4. FBI Bitcoin Trojan virus, BSOD, and NTLDR missing Win 10 new install

Sumit Dhiman, Jan 3, 2016
  5. Morgana Win User
    Thanks so much for your reply.

So you think this will work even though our hard drive is locked?

Morgana, Jan 3, 2016
  6. Morgana Win User
    My husband said that he tried the repair protocol that you suggested, but said that when he got to step 3. he got a message saying that the hard drive is locked.

Morgana, Jan 3, 2016
  7. torre Win User
    torre, Jan 4, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

Hi.
    I would try running the Kaspersky Rescue Disk to try and clear out the infection first. This would need to be downloaded to a clean computer, and burned to disk. Then you would boot the infected system from the disk and run the scan.

After successful cleaning, you can try the Startup Repair mentioned earlier.

If all else fails, you can invoke the recovery partition of the system, and restore the computer to factory condition. Keep in mind that any files/programs added since you got the computer would be lost.

p.s. Never turn off the firewall. Never believe notices from FB that your system needs updating. Never click on update links-instead, go directly to the manufacturer of the software and download from there.

EDIT:
    This is a very similar infection; the instructions may work for you as well.
    Remove the FBI MoneyPak Ransomware or the Reveton Trojan

simrick, Jan 4, 2016
  9. mrgeek Win User
    "I tried to watch a video but got a message saying my flash drive needed updating. I went to Adobe and downloaded and installed the latest version"

This 'update your flash player' pop up is common ruse. I take it you used the 'Adobe' download link in the window vs typing adobe.com and getting your download there ? Once you're sorted out, bookmark this link from Adobe which incl a test as to whether your version is up to date and a link to download latest version -
    Flash Player Help

mrgeek, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. FBI Bitcoin Trojan virus, BSOD, and NTLDR missing Win 10 new install - Similar Threads - FBI Bitcoin Trojan

2. Where is NTLDR in Win 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where is NTLDR in Win 10?: I recently did a restore using macrium reflect, which screwed up all my drive letters and left me unable to boot NTLDR is missing.Everything on the SSD and HD was backed up to another drive so I didn't lose anything.The only recovery disc I had was 2 years old, but it enabled...
  3. Where is NTLDR in Win 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where is NTLDR in Win 10?: I recently did a restore using macrium reflect, which screwed up all my drive letters and left me unable to boot NTLDR is missing.Everything on the SSD and HD was backed up to another drive so I didn't lose anything.The only recovery disc I had was 2 years old, but it enabled...
  4. Where is NTLDR in Win 10?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. NTLDR MISSING Windows 8.1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NTLDR MISSING Windows 8.1: Hello,First time posting, so please forgive me in advance if I break etiquette, and thanks in advance for the help. So I got a new SSD and I tried cloning my old HDD over Windows 8.1. Both are 4TB. I'm using Acronis for Crucial and it's taking days. So I cancel it and moved...
  6. NTLDR MISSING Windows 8.1

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NTLDR MISSING Windows 8.1: Hello,First time posting, so please forgive me in advance if I break etiquette, and thanks in advance for the help. So I got a new SSD and I tried cloning my old HDD over Windows 8.1. Both are 4TB. I'm using Acronis for Crucial and it's taking days. So I cancel it and moved...
  7. trojan virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    trojan virus: What is "altsonypics.com" and how do I get rid of it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trojan-virus/96f8ca83-3292-4259-abf6-66f86e832940
  8. NTLDR is Missing Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    NTLDR is Missing Windows 10: I left my computer in and presumably the computer did an update in my absence Windows 10 updated. When I returned home, I found the nasty message NTLDR is missing. 2 So far, I have tried using Windows 10 DVD to repair to no avail, System Restore to no avail. I pulled the...
  9. NTLDR missing on USB boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    NTLDR missing on USB boot: Why is it when I try to install Win 10 from a boot USB onto an old desktop which currently runs XP SP3, I get an error "NTLDR is missing" ? (Yes, I set the boot order to USB first). *Sad The target machine has an ALiveNF6G-DVI mobo with legacy BIOS at v2.2 The bootable...
  10. NTLDR Missing. Computer will not boot

in Windows 10 Support
    NTLDR Missing. Computer will not boot: The computer received the last Microsoft update a few days ago. After the finish and the last reboot, my screen when to Black. Upon trying to reboot, it would not. Tried a startup disk and after a while, the NTLDR message appeared. Have not been able to boot it since. My...