Windows 10: FCC proposing monthly broadband subsidies for low-income households

Discus and support FCC proposing monthly broadband subsidies for low-income households in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The FCC has fine-tuned its plan to offer broadband to the poor. The Federal Communications Commission will submit a proposal to approve a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

FCC proposing monthly broadband subsidies for low-income households

Read more: FCC proposing monthly broadband subsidies for low-income households | ZDNet

Brink, Mar 7, 2016
  2. groze Win User

About time, with almost everything going online including applying for assistance. I see that as a plus. Less cost for the government. I am glad the fcc can sidestep the political part and issue this discount. I am not sure if that the discount or the actually cost of the internet service.

:)

groze, Mar 8, 2016
  3. 5800 XpressMusic... Nokia's best of the best!!!

Yes, I agree.. But Malaysia's price will not as low as other country.. 279 euro convert to MYR 1270 +-.. After taxes and subsidies of the Malaysia.. Who knows..

johnsonwps, Mar 8, 2016
  4. FCC proposing monthly broadband subsidies for low-income households

PA Bear - MS MVP, Mar 8, 2016
  5. Looey Win User
    More Obama's stash. The feds are only $19 trillion in debt with a $500 billion deficit this year. The federal government can't sustain itself much longer.

Looey, Mar 8, 2016
  6. Winuser Win User
    I wonder who gets to pay the bill?

Winuser, Mar 8, 2016
  7. groze Win User
    No it was Ronald Regan that created the life line program. Just wanted to make sure that correct facts are known.

groze, Mar 8, 2016
  8. Looey Win User

LOL, cell phones were not available when Reagan was president. You're thinking of land lines. The $2 billion Obama phone had nothing to do with Reagan.

Looey, Mar 8, 2016
  9. groze Win User
    Where do you think those funds come from? It comes from the same funds as the landline phone life line discount? Did you know you only get 4 hours of calls unless you add extra money or pay an additional Monthly fee. On landlines you get around 10 U.S. dollar discount but you still have pay a monthly fee plus long distance. However, you can only have one cell phone or one landline per household that gets the discount. It because people were and still are getting rid of their landlines that why it expanded to cell phones. Even AT&T is planning on getting rid of landlines someday.

This site tells you more about it

Free 'ObamaPhones' for Welfare Recipients : snopes.com

groze, Mar 8, 2016
  10. milford Win User
    Am I reading this right? A low income person/family can afford a computer?

milford, Mar 8, 2016
  11. -or have one given to them . . . ? -just sayin' ;-)

DaveGrant01, Mar 8, 2016
  12. derekimo Win User
    derekimo, Mar 8, 2016
  13. groze Win User

Not the $3,000 dollar computers, keep in mind you can get computer for under $500 and some refurbished under $100 U.S. Dollars.

Actually, I gave up expanded cable tv to get the internet service. For the Internet I am still on a discount special but I may give up my landline to keep the internet when the special runs out. I am not lazy. I have medical issues.

groze, Mar 8, 2016
  14. Many organizations recycle computers for the poor - especially school children. My computer club has been doing this for years. Members buy new computers and donate their old setup. We clean them up, reinstall operating systems and donate to the elementary schools in our county which are all Title 1. We used to get a lot more but since Windows XP has been phased out, we don't get as many anymore - we won't accept them. Another year from now and the same problem is going to exist for Vista computers when it gets retired in April 2017.

The schools use them in different ways. Some have raffled them off (free no charge raffle) to those parents who attend PTA meetings to encourage them to attend. Others setup stations where parents can come in and check on childs class info and whatever else has been made available. Still another set up a 'store' where students earn points to get a computer - good grades on tests, etc.

Floridagal, Mar 8, 2016
  15. Depending on your service you may be able to get internet phone service as part of your bundle which often drives the bundle price way down - more services lower price per service. Here in our part of Florida many have opted for internet phone service. It works great and 911 is now mandatory on this service (it didn't used to be ). We even get free long distance. The modem you get has a battery backup in it, so if your power goes out you still have phone for a while.

Floridagal, Mar 8, 2016
Thema:

1. FCC proposing monthly broadband subsidies for low-income households - Similar Threads - FCC proposing monthly

2. is this because there’s another pc in the household or?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is this because there’s another pc in the household or?: i did a speed test and i got 17 ping however i tried to play rainbow six seige and i disconnect everytime i tried to play is there a way i can fix this or?...
  3. is this because there’s another pc in the household or?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    is this because there’s another pc in the household or?: i did a speed test and i got 17 ping however i tried to play rainbow six seige and i disconnect everytime i tried to play is there a way i can fix this or?...
  4. Bluetooth connecting to household devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth connecting to household devices: Bluetooth on my computer is connected to about 20 household devices that I don't necessarily want connected. Obviously, if I delete them on the Bluetooth and Devices page of Settings, they just come back. Is there a way to prevent the computer from connecting to these devices...
  5. Bluetooth connecting to household devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth connecting to household devices: Bluetooth on my computer is connected to about 20 household devices that I don't necessarily want connected. Obviously, if I delete them on the Bluetooth and Devices page of Settings, they just come back. Is there a way to prevent the computer from connecting to these devices...
  6. Microsoft Update Screw Ups costs low income seniors

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Update Screw Ups costs low income seniors: Microsoft update that messed up many computers & has cost me over $200 to deal with, need to spend another $100 to connect to printers. I am retired living on social security, almost impossible to do as it is, now this, do you even care what you have done! Of course you guys...
  7. FCC App

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    FCC App: I need to download FCC FreeConferenceCall App and it won't download from app store. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fcc-app/7e0980b4-d552-41c7-a2ba-41afff727afd
  8. How to manually edit consumed broadband data for this month?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to manually edit consumed broadband data for this month?: Hi, I have a SIM card which I use in multiple devices. It happens that I consume a part of my FUP in the other devices and then put the SIM back into the notebook. Of course, it has no way of detecting how much data was consumed in the other devices, but my carrier can tell...
  9. Broadband

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Broadband: Broadband is ok in safe mode but slow in normal mode https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/broadband/6745881a-c3b5-4067-8668-268576418f02
  10. FCC just tripled the number of US households without broadband

in Windows 10 News
    FCC just tripled the number of US households without broadband: No, federal regulators didn't spend all night unplugging millions of home routers from the wall, cutting them off from the internet. But new rules by the federal agency tasked with overseeing the U.S. internet services market aim to make speeds faster. The U.S. Federal...