Windows 10: FCU 1709 deletes/removes all pinned start icons

Discus and support FCU 1709 deletes/removes all pinned start icons in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Windows updates started, downloaded and installed FCU 1709. Installed ok but on clicking start, none of the pinned programs are there or in the A-Z... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by SEP555, Oct 24, 2017.

1. SEP555 Win User

FCU 1709 deletes/removes all pinned start icons

Windows updates started, downloaded and installed FCU 1709. Installed ok but on clicking start, none of the pinned programs are there or in the A-Z list.

Have they been deleted?
    Or still there, so need to create a shortcut to them, how to get icons back?
    How to get access to WindowsApps where they should be?
    or are they now in Windows.old?
    Is windows.old still needed, can i delete it?

i can't believe they release this to the public...

:)

SEP555, Oct 24, 2017

2. FCU 1709 deletes/removes all pinned start icons / programs

This is a bug in the latest version users are experiencing, it is widespread.

These are the recommendations right now:

1. Repair or Reset the missing apps:

Open Settings, and select Apps.

On the Apps & features tab, find the name of the missing app. Click the app and select Advanced options (if available).

If a Repair option is available, click Repair. If this option is not available, or if Repair does not resolve the issue, you may also try the Reset option, though you might lose any app data that was saved.

Once the repair or reset is completed, the app should again appear in the app list and can be pinned to the Start Menu.

2. Uninstall and reinstall the missing apps:

Open Settings, and select Apps.

On the Apps & features tab, find the name of the missing app. Click the app and select Uninstall.

Open Store and then reinstall the missing app. Once installed, the app should appear in the app list, and can be pinned to the Start Menu.

3. Re-register the missing apps using PowerShell – If you have a lot missing apps, advanced users can instead attempt to restore all of them at once using the following PowerShell commands. Note, however, that if Steps 1 and 2 were already attempted and did
    not restore your missing apps, this PowerShell solution will also likely not succeed.

In Cortana, type PowerShell. In the search results, right-click Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.

In the Powershell window type the following commands. These steps may take a few minutes to complete.

reg delete “HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\TileDataModel\Migration\TileStore” /va /f

get-appxpackage -packageType bundle |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + "\appxmetadata\appxbundlemanifest.xml")}

$bundlefamilies = (get-appxpackage -packagetype Bundle).packagefamilyname

get-appxpackage -packagetype main |? {-not ($bundlefamilies -contains $_.packagefamilyname)} |% {add-appxpackage -register -disabledevelopmentmode ($_.installlocation + "\appxmanifest.xml")}

Once the PowerShell commands are completed, the apps should appear in the app list, and can be pinned to the Start Menu.

If you still don't understand, don't hesitate to let us know. We can help you through it.

There seems to be some early adopter issues at this time with Windows 10 1709, if you can, I recommend you downgrade to your previous version until the Fall Creators Update matures with future cumulative updates.

Andre Da Costa, Oct 24, 2017
  3. FCU 1709 deletes/removes all pinned start icons / programs

To go back to the old version, go to Start>Settings>update& Security>Recovery>Advanced Startup>Troubleshoot>

If you cannot get there due to dysfunction use whatever method here works to access Advanced Startup Options:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanc...

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I'll keep working with you until this is resolved.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Oct 24, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Oct 24, 2017
  5. SEP555 Win User
    Im not going to reinstall repair or reset apps again it doesnt keep the save data associated with them.
    And as an admin myself i still find it a disbelief and appauling that the common reply is for the general public have to mess around with powershell commands to fix a glaring issue. Where was the testing or even the insiders to let this through!

SEP555, Oct 24, 2017
  6. I have the same, just waiting on a fix

As far as i can tell, the apps are there with all data, they just dont show on the start menu

The only way i know of getting to them is through the Store, which is probably also missing, so if you use Cortana they can be found
    eg using mail as an example
    in the Cortana search box enter apps: mail
    one of the results will be search the store for mail
    click this and the store will open and should bring up mail
    once here click launch and it will open

for some apps this returned them to the start menu, but not others
    not ideal but the apps can be opened this way until a fix is created by MS

paulsalter, Oct 24, 2017
  7. SEP555 Win User
    Yeah shame the store doesnt allow to pin then it might not be too bad for most people.

For me when searching for Mail in the store it doesnt have a launch option

SEP555, Oct 24, 2017
  8. FCU 1709 deletes/removes all pinned start icons

Mine are starting to come back now

Just had an update for the Store, this is now in the all apps list and can be pinned back to the Start Menu
    Other apps are coming back the same when they get an update

paulsalter, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. FCU 1709 deletes/removes all pinned start icons - Similar Threads - FCU 1709 deletes

2. Remove "Pin to Start"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove "Pin to Start": I always accidentally click "Pin to Start" when I want to empty the recycle bin, by right-clicking the recycle bin on the desktop. Is there a way to remove it, or place it somewhere else in the context menu?...
  3. Remove all Start menu icons in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remove all Start menu icons in Windows 10: I'm trying to remove EVERY application from the Start menu in Windows 10 and seem unable to do so. I've edited Group Policies, created a start layout .xml, went into the start folder and deleted subfolders/applications, and modified the Personalization settings to where...
  4. Is it possible to manually install desired updates in Win 10-1709 FCU?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is it possible to manually install desired updates in Win 10-1709 FCU?: Hello everyone. So i decided to downgrade my windows 10 latest update to fall creators update 1709 by reinstalling it. The reason is that after many updates i observed my CPU and RAM are throttled to work slower possible by so known Meltdown and Spectre "vulnerabilities''...
  5. When's The Next Cumulative Update Out? (FCU-1709)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    When's The Next Cumulative Update Out? (FCU-1709): As the title says. Just curious. Are they released monthly? Currently on FCU latest build 16299.19 96911
  6. NO SOUND after Windows 10 1709 FCU update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NO SOUND after Windows 10 1709 FCU update: The troubleshooter suggest I download the Microsoft HD Audio driver, but I have not been successful. Currently I have realtek speakers, so I attempted to look for updated drivers again unsuccessful. 99052
  7. Win10 1709 start menu icon for all user

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 1709 start menu icon for all user: Dear, As we need create Win10 Pro 1709 image for deploy remain PC in our company, i want to apply this settings and apply to all users, "Settings" icon not show on start menu (red arrow as following attached picture) [img] In previous Win10 Pro 1607, i can turn...
  8. PC won't hibernate after Win10 FCU 1709 clean install

in Windows 10 Support
    PC won't hibernate after Win10 FCU 1709 clean install: Hi, I had installed my new i9-7980/Asus Rampage VI platform on Win 10 1703 and had no issues. When I did a clean install of Win10 1709, I can't get the PC to go in hibernate mode anymore. The PC "tries" (the screen goes black), but after a few seconds it just comes up...
  9. Update to 1709 (FCU) Made Fonts Small - How to Fix??

in Windows 10 Support
    Update to 1709 (FCU) Made Fonts Small - How to Fix??: I updated to 1709 (FCU) and my fonts have become small. How do i fix this? 98575
  10. FCU 1709 issue coming up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    FCU 1709 issue coming up: I have noticed that programs that use Runtime 1.0 and 2.0 and 3.0 and maybe 4.5 will not run on the new OS I'm getting request to install runtime 4.5 because it contains 1,2,3, however windows report it can not install 4.5 because its part of the OS already. For those of us...