Windows 10: Feature Update to Ver 1703 not working and metered connection failing

Discus and support Feature Update to Ver 1703 not working and metered connection failing in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My notebook is running Windows 10 Home Ver 1607 OS build 14393.1358. About a week ago, it commenced attempting to download and install feature update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by gbr41, Jul 10, 2017.

1. gbr41 Win User

Feature Update to Ver 1703 not working and metered connection failing

My notebook is running Windows 10 Home Ver 1607 OS build 14393.1358. About a week ago, it commenced attempting to download and install feature update to version 1703.
    This failed and the notebook has subsequently made 15 attempts, all of which failed. My data connection is through my mobile phone and that connection is set as metered which should have prevented the process.
    Outcome is that my phone has had all of its data consumed including a bit more than AU$700 credit plus two AU$30 recharges. In addition the notebook then connected to my Wife's mobile phone which also had a bit more than AU$700 credit which was also used plus one extra AU$30 recharge. Oh and I've also consumed several GB of "free" wi fi.
    So for a cost of about AU$1,500 I have got nothing and the feature update still starts running if I connect my notebook to the Internet.
    Is there a way of stopping this feature update? Seems that it probably fails because my Notebook is operating Version 1607 and not 1703. Why would Microsoft release an update that causes this problem. Surely the update process should check the version before downloading such a large update.
    Would also appreciate advice of how to make the metered connection function properly and block updates.
    Thanks

:)

gbr41, Jul 10, 2017
  2. GroverH Win User

Win 10 update to 1709 will not complete after asking user to uninstall device.

Thank you for responding. My version 1703 does not show a method to defer the 1709 upgrade. Enabling a metered connection partially works.

Having a metered connection enabled does stop the 1709 upgrade; however, in order to install the 1703 updates, both the 1703 and the 1709 are enabled and the 1709 fails as usual. At the moment, it appears my only option to not to update any 1703 or 1709
    upgrade.

Do you know how to stop the Realtek pcie card reader from automatically re-installing after its removal. That appears to be my only solution so there is no obstruction device??

GroverH, Jul 10, 2017
  3. Miracast couldn't connect

Nothing was updated, both were running ver.1703 at that time it still works, then one day it just wouldn't connect (stilll on ver.1703). Then I've updated them to ver.1709 to see if it fixes the problem. Sadly it does not.

There were no error messages on both devices.

Both devices running Windows 10 ver.1709 build.16299.19

Thanks,

Eugene RP_, Jul 10, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, that sounds a pretty miserable and costly experience.

Turning first to disabling the update and getting control - you can easily find how to do this by searching the internet for 'How do I disable Windows update'

Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10 Windows 10 Windows Update Activation Tutorials

or use Winaero's free tweaker for convenience.

If you have Win 10 Pro, you can use Defer Feature Upgrades to delay the upgrade a few months, as I have.

If you search this forum you will find many reports of people finding the upgrade fails. This happens for some with all Windows upgrades and there are various causes. (After all this forum is where people come with problems).

You can make sure you only download the upgrade once by downloading a Win 10 iso yourself. You can then use that as many times as you wish. This is always my preferred option.

I would always also create a disk image (Macrium Reflect (free) + external storage for images) before upgrading. We strongly recommend the routine use of disk imaging to protect your PC, your data, and possibly your sanity.

What's the problem with the upgrade?
    First make an exact note of any error report.

See
    Upgrade to Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials
    see Resolve Windows 10 upgrade errors
    in that tutorial. That includes suggestions and pointers to the log files to see what's reported.

Possible problems:
    Uninstall/disable your AV

Remove any unnecessary peripherals

Partition problems (post a screenshot of your partitions ideally using e.g. Minitool Partition Wizard)

Integrity of your existing Windows
    - run SFC /SCANNOW from an admin command prompt

Insufficient free space on C: (allow 20Gb or more bearing in mind much of your Windows folder will be copied)

No unallocated space on your system drive - allow 500Mb

Disk problems
    - download and run Hard Disk Sentinel (trial).

dalchina, Jul 10, 2017
  5. gbr41 Win User
    Thanks for your help. As I am caravanning for the next few weeks I will delay any further action until I get home where I have a larger data quota. I'm not going to risk any more nasty surprises by connecting via my phone. I will give your suggestions a run then. Thanks again.

gbr41, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Feature Update to Ver 1703 not working and metered connection failing - Similar Threads - Feature Update Ver

2. Win10 ver 1909 failing on feature update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 ver 1909 failing on feature update: I am receiving an error message "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes." "Check for updates" simply says "you're not up to date"My update history shows failures on ver 2004 and 20H2. Quality/Driver/Other updates are all fine.I attempted the windows...
  3. Capability of Windows Metered Connection Feature

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Capability of Windows Metered Connection Feature: HiIf I enable windows 10 metered connection on my Ethernet connection, can I be sure that it will record all the data consumption that passes through my Ethernet port?Is there any limitation on its capability to meter data traffic?Will it be able to meter data consumption on...
  4. Unwanted feature updates being forced over metered connection

Unwanted feature updates being forced over metered connection: Can you explain why this update "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803" was forced on me over a metered connection? If I hacked into your pc and sent you unwanted software and made you pay for the 4g bandwidth it lapped up and then made you lose work time while it...
  5. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1703 Failing at 32%

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Feature update to Windows 10, version 1703 Failing at 32%: so just like the creators update which ive previously not had any success installing. i gave up and went about my daily use of my computer. now the feature update 1703 is being forced upon me and have no way of holding it off.. it to is also failing at 32% just like i had...
  6. Windows 10 1703 updating over Metered connection

Windows 10 1703 updating over Metered connection: I have 3 windows 10 1703 machines on a Metered connection, however windows update just installed KB4022725 (OS Build 15063.413) on each of them over the last 2 days why? Metered connection is set to "ON". Any advise would be appreciated. 86875
  7. Windows Update with Metered connection fails: Creators Update 15063.0

Windows Update with Metered connection fails: Creators Update 15063.0: It's dejá vu all over again. *Doh The correct behaviour of windows update over a metered connection is to offer the choice to download, or wait until on a non-metered connection. [img] The initial build of the Anniversary Update broke this, it skipped offering you...
  8. Updates on a metered connection.

Updates on a metered connection.: Hello there, I read an article today which said: Windows 10 users will receive "automatic updates without any additional notice." By default, Windows 10 will download, install, and reboot machines automatically when they’re not in use to install the updates. There’s...
  9. Configuration of the metered connection features

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Configuration of the metered connection features: Hi As a metered connection via Ethernet or via Hi-Fi disables or limits some features of Windows 10 Home v1607, it is possible to configure some of this functionality so that they work in a standard way? Thanks Bye 62280
  10. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1703 failed to install

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1703 failed to install: Hello people, I m using windows 10 pro and i m unable to install windows 10 creator update version 1703 since its release daily its start downloading itself and at the end it says update failed to install i lost too much data i m fearing about cost now.*Sad One thing i...