Windows 10: Features removed or Deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Discus and support Features removed or Deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The following features and functionalities in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update are either removed from the product in the current release... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by cereberus, Jul 22, 2017.

1. cereberus Win User

Features removed or Deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Source: Features that are removed or deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

See also: MS Paint is here to stay in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Update 12/19: Features removed or Deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - Page 12 - Windows 10 Forums

:)

cereberus, Jul 22, 2017
  2. 'Mike P Win User

A volume shadow copy service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the application event log for more information. (0x80042302)

Many are having re-imaging failures since 1709 fall creators update build.

Features
    that are removed or deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

System
    Image Backup (SIB)
    Solution

We recommend that users use full-disk backup solutions from other vendors.

'Mike P, Jul 22, 2017
  3. 'Mike P Win User
    'Mike P, Jul 22, 2017
  4. DavidY Win User

Microsoft Paint?
    I use that all the time. *Sad

DavidY, Jul 22, 2017
  5. lx07 Win User
    Just what I was thinking. It is still there in current (16241) insider preview.

Hopefully we can just copy mspaint.exe and the .mui if it is removed (currently just deprecated according to the table above)

6. Edwin New Member
    You can also get the mspaint classic installer from Winaero

Features removed or Deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update [​IMG]

Edwin, Jul 22, 2017
  7. bobjoe Win User
    Can someone please explain to me the rationale behind killing Paint or screensavers? I genuinely don't understand.

Even if just a few Windows 10 users worldwide use those programs/features, what sense is there in removing them? They're not vulnerable to attacks or malware like Windows Sidebar/Gadgets.

I use Paint nearly every day to do simple cropping and cutting. Paint.net or the default "Photos" app are not nearly as fast as Paint in opening or saving files. And don't get me started on that rubbish "Paint 3D" crap.

As for screensavers, I also use a screensaver. I think it looks cool and adds an extra layer of protection (I have mine set to start after 5 minutes of inactivity, and after starting, any movement on the mouse or keyboard triggers the lock screen).

So in summary, can someone please enlighten me as to why these features are being removed?

bobjoe, Jul 23, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

System Image Backup (SIB) Solution
    We recommend that users use full-disk backup solutions from other vendors.

Are we talking about Backup and Restore (Windows 7) here?

cereberus, Jul 23, 2017
  9. bobjoe Win User
    Probably. Remember, this is Microsoft. They constantly remove features people use just so they can push their "apps" agenda.

bobjoe, Jul 23, 2017
  10. Trust_No1 Win User
    If someone purchased 10 over a year ago, there were other things that have been removed. I don't see how it is legally possible to cripple or change a product that was already acquired. I believe it won't stop here, they will continue to remove other features, you have no idea what will be left.

Trust_No1, Jul 23, 2017
  11. kado897 Win User
    They already tried to get rid of it before so I'm not surprised.

kado897, Jul 23, 2017
  12. DavidY Win User
    Yes I think it was Windows 8.1(?) where they deleted the Backup and Restore, although I think the System Image function survived at that point. Then they brought it back in Windows 10 - my guess is that it was so people who used Windows 7 and made a backup with the built-in function could restore their files.

DavidY, Jul 23, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

It's already partially 'deprecated' in the Creators Update. Try typing 'backup' in the Cortana/Search box. In the Anniversary Update that would find (amongst other things) 'Backup and Restore (Windows 7)' but in the Creators Update it has apparently been deliberately excluded from the search results.

14. swarfega Win User
    Two items I'm puzzled about, sync your settings and powershell, surely those are still widely used. I know @Kari loves Powershell.

swarfega, Jul 23, 2017
  15. Kari Win User
    They are not deprecating PowerShell, they are just killing support for a really old PowerShell version 2.0, see PowerShell version history. PowerShell is still going strong and will be present in all future Windows versions. Currently (Insider build 16241) the PowerShell version is 5.1:

PowerShell 5.x is backwards compatible with all previous versions, even scripts made for PS 2.x will work in PowerShell 5.x:

Thema:

1. Features removed or Deprecated in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update - Similar Threads - Features removed Deprecated

2. WINDOWS 10 Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    WINDOWS 10 Fall Creators Update: I just downloaded the above mentioned update and it looks like some fun things are here. I am interested in giving "Paint 3D" a shot although I am told it's designed for touch screen and I don't use one. Here's the problem---it has force fed me "OneDrive" which I am not a...
  3. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: Has anyone installed it yet? If so did it break anything for you? Debating If I should update or not. 95662
  4. what will be removed during the Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    what will be removed during the Fall Creators Update: Good Day All I have been reading (here in other threads) that in the process of updating/grading that windows essentials will be removed and in so doing windows movie maker as well, is this true? and what else will be removed. I have finally got some sort of handle on...
  5. New Map Control features in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 News
    New Map Control features in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update: The Maps team has been busy making improvements and adding new features to the Maps platform for the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. In addition to performance and visual improvements to the 3D engine, we are introducing features requested by users, like the ability to...
  6. fall creator update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    fall creator update: Is there a general chart which might give info on when i would get fcu. I went from 7 to 10 just a couple weeks before free 10 stopped. 97324
  7. New DirectX 12 features in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 News
    New DirectX 12 features in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update: We’ve come a long way since we launched DirectX 12 with Windows 10 on July 29, 2015. Since then, we’ve heard every bit of feedback and improved the API to enhance stability and offer more versatility. Today, developers using DirectX 12 can build games that have better...
  8. Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Fall Creators Update: I work for a company that has about 200 desktop and laptop running Windows 10 (most are HP's)on our own domain and after the fall creators update, we have experienced Unauthenticated network messages as well as download issues in all browsers (Edge, IE 11, Chrome, Firefox)....
  9. Timeline feature will not make Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

in Windows 10 News
    Timeline feature will not make Windows 10 Fall Creators Update: If recent Windows 10 Insider builds have been consistently bringing lots of new features to play with, we’re still waiting for Microsoft to deliver some of the most exciting stuff we’ve seen during Build 2017. Unfortunately though, it seems that the new Timeline feature that...
  10. Features that are removed or deprecated in Windows 10 Creators Update

in Windows 10 News
    Features that are removed or deprecated in Windows 10 Creators Update: The following features and functionalities in the Windows 10 Creators Update edition (to be released on April 2017) have either been removed from the product in the current release (“Removed”) or are not in active development and are planned for potential removal in...