Windows 10: Feb 2017 Windows Update breaks boot. Can't boot machine after Update.

Discus and support Feb 2017 Windows Update breaks boot. Can't boot machine after Update. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows updated a few days ago and since then I can boot. I get: Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're..... 'Stop code: SYSTEM... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RobH2, Feb 18, 2017.

1. RobH2 Win User

Feb 2017 Windows Update breaks boot. Can't boot machine after Update.

Windows updated a few days ago and since then I can boot.

I get: Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're.....
    'Stop code: SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED'

I can't manage 'Windows Update' (...there is little to manage anyway since the updates are literally forced down our throats) because at the top of the screen it says in RED, "Some settings are managed by your organization." I am the organization. This is a personal/one-user machine.

I create a full image twice a day so I used MR to restore a good image and got back in. Now, Windows 10 10586.753 installs updates every night and I have to do it all over again. I'm in a terminal loop.

I can't utilise a program like "WhoCrashed" because I can't get back in to analyze it. I have to restore an image each time. While I was in a restored image it do perform a 'Restore Point' so I could try that on the next boot failure in 'Troubleshooting.' But once in 'Advanced Options' during the boot repair, under 'Restore' I had no Restore Point listed.

I booted using WinPE and looked around a little but I couldn't find much to see or do there.

I ran SFC and DISM inside a restored image they both came back perfectly fine.

I used the following two lines in 'Safe Mode Command Prompt' during one Advanced Repair attempt but neither correct anything:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:/windows
    and
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

Crash dumps won't help because I can't get to one I don't think.

I'm really stuck. Any suggestions?

:)

RobH2, Feb 18, 2017

2. Preparing Automatic Repair loop

Windows 10 Pro (Insider preview) no longer boots. Happened suddenly. Assume after an update. I have been out of town for three weeks. All was well when I left on 10/01/2017, machine was/still is in loop when I returned 10/20/2017.

DanBernitt, Feb 18, 2017
  3. etheory01 Win User
    After installation of KB4056892 boot failure, after roll-back error 0x800f0845

I have the same issue with an Intel i7 in a Gigabyte motherboard. After the update and the machine boots it constantly throws an error. I can get to the command prompt but everything is locked. I bought a new hard drive and re-installed Windows 10 on it.
    When Windows Update installed the latest updates (15th Feb 2018) it all started again. So it's definitely the updates. If I re-install and block updates the problem is not present.

etheory01, Feb 18, 2017
  4. RobH2 Win User

Moderator. Please delete this. I've started it in the 'General Support' forum.

RobH2, Feb 19, 2017
Thema:

1. Feb 2017 Windows Update breaks boot. Can't boot machine after Update. - Similar Threads - Feb 2017 Update

2. Can't boot after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't boot after update: Last night I tried to update my PC. I selected "update and shut down" and left the computer. When I returned much later it appeared frozen so I turned the PC off.The PC is now unable to boot and stuck on the below screen.By restarting I can force the PC to enter automatic...
  3. Windows not booting after update

Windows not booting after update: after update and shutdown cannot start computer get blue screen Recovery Error code 0xc000000e. Windows usb media will not run either and does not show in bios screen as a boot option only windows Boot manager -dual boot - 2 drives no USB boot option.Using Paragon HD manager...
  4. Windows not booting after update

Windows not booting after update: Hello, My windows recently installed the last update and since then I am not able to start my windows. I tried startup repair but it did not work, I tried uninstall updates quality and feature but it did not want to. What can I do to not lose my installed softwares...
  5. can't boot up windows after updates

can't boot up windows after updates: the only message i get is a stop code DRIVER_PNP_WATCHDOG keeps getting in a un stoppable loop to boot up laptop has no disc drive and i am stuck https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-boot-up-windows-after-updates/b1f59a9a-b48a-47f2-a24c-589ac4108fb3
  6. Can't update microsoft windows; now machine won't boot.

Can't update microsoft windows; now machine won't boot.: When I try to update windows 10 it fails and now it is stuck - how can i fix it ? -- The issue is that at first it said page fault in non-paged area windows. Then it tried to auto repair and now it gets kmode exception. I had it do a system restore from before the update...
  7. laptop wont start or boot after windows 10 2017 update

laptop wont start or boot after windows 10 2017 update: in 2017 my laptop kept saying to update windows 10. I pressed this and it was updating. Then it kept showing a blank screen. Wont boot or change off of the black blank screen. I rang microsoft and they said i had to reinstall windows 10 on my laptop. Is this correct? or...
  8. Windows will not boot after update

Windows will not boot after update: I had a windows 10 update last night, this morning my PC will not boot. I can get into safe mode but system restore makes no difference and the update is not listed in the "recent updates" bit of the control panel. I really don't want to have to reset the computer as I have a...
  9. Feb 2017 Windows Update breaks boot. Can't boot machine after Update.

in Windows 10 Support
    Feb 2017 Windows Update breaks boot. Can't boot machine after Update.: Windows updated a few days ago and since then I can boot. I get: Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're..... 'Stop code: SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED' I can't manage 'Windows Update' (...there is little to manage anyway since the updates are...
  10. Can't boot after Creator's Update

Can't boot after Creator's Update: I'm not sure what happened but few hours after the update, I could no longer boot the laptop. The displayed message is "reboot and select proper boot device". I am able to enter setup and confirm it is UEFI boot and the hard disk is listed. I am also able to boot from USB and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. KB4522738 0x800F0845