Windows 10: File association alert

Discus and support File association alert in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I know some don't like WinPatrol, but I've had the paid version for years and I find it useful. So, that being said ... I never know for sure what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Nikilet, May 16, 2017.

1. Nikilet Win User

File association alert

I know some don't like WinPatrol, but I've had the paid version for years and I find it useful. So, that being said ...

I never know for sure what to do when I get these file association alerts. (screenshot)

I have both Windows Live Mail and Thunderbird. TBird is my default program and what I use all the time, but I have everything synced and I keep WLM too.

For this alert, my inclination is to accept this change, but I am unsure since I keep both programs active. Can someone advise, please?
    File association alert [​IMG]

:)

Nikilet, May 16, 2017
  2. MP797GA Win User

100% CPU Use Since Latest Windows Update

Thank you again.

Did a clean install.

All working well.

Yes, was a tad tedious with the slew of updates required to Office and Windows post install. That said, reinstalling email accounts to Outlook 2013 was super fast.

Minor side note>>>>For some reason, Outlook's new mail sound is now associated with "Asterisk" within: Sound>Sounds>Program Events: The
    "Asterisk" default sound is "Windows Background".

Easy enough to change the "asterisk" program event sound to any sound pre-installed , set to "none", or a WAV I decide to associate "Asterisk" with...yet..

My "new mail notification"sound is set properly, and tests fine within sounds/program events.

Bizarre.

Regards.

Ah...sound follow up.

Outlook's defaults were set to do many things, and "confused" the PC.

(Outlook>File>Options>Mail>Message Arrival)

It was set to both:

"Display a desktop alert"

and

"Show an envelope icon in the taskbar"

The "asterisk" within "program events" ("sounds" tab within sounds) must be associated with "display a desktop alert".

After unchecking "display a desktop alert", I now get the proper new mail sound.

When a new Outlook email arrived, the computer had 2 simultaneous program events, and whatever "asterisk" is associated with seems to win the priority prize.

I can live without the desktop alert visual.....for that matter...can live without the sound too...both are merely a nice to haves.

MP797GA, May 16, 2017
  3. Need to apply a registry file, but alert says that no application is associated with file

OCS mobile has recently been deployed, and until public DNS is updated, our admin has emailed us an IM.REG file for us to apply to our phones so that name resolution can succeed. The problem that I'm experiencing is that when I attempt to open the IM.REG
    file on my BlackJack2, an alert warns me that "No application is associated with "im". Run the application first and then open this file inside the application. Any suggestions? Thank you.

guitardave, May 16, 2017
  4. File association alert

since thunderbird is your default yes accept the change.

ChaChaLaBoom, May 16, 2017
  5. Nikilet Win User
    Thank you. I have done so.

Nikilet, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

File association alert

1. File association alert - Similar Threads - File association alert

2. File Associations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Associations: I cannot associate a .xcfg file with its application TurboCAD Platinum 2021.The app is listed on the Start Menu, and is listed in All Settings/Apps and Features.xcfg is listed in All Settings/Default/Apps/Choose default applications by file type, but when I select xcfg I am...
  3. File Associations

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Associations: I cannot associate a .xcfg file with its application TurboCAD Platinum 2021.The app is listed on the Start Menu, and is listed in All Settings/Apps and Features.xcfg is listed in All Settings/Default/Apps/Choose default applications by file type, but when I select xcfg I am...
  4. File Associations

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File Associations: My Windows 10 file associations are broken immediately following the latest automatic update to 10.0.19042 Build 19042 all of my Desktop files were deleted by the update. I was able to restore them with the File History tool. My Office 2016 file associations don't work and...
  5. File Association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Association: I have accidently told windows to open exe files with Photoshop 2020. I need to disassociate Photoshop urgently. Can someone please give me a solution. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-association/64dd9145-dc4d-4501-8eb4-56b1e130605e
  6. File Association

File Association: I was organizing my files on my laptop and I accidentally liked on a package file and then when it said "How would you like to open this file?" I didn't really read and just clicked OK. Now all my package files icons have turned into the icon for internet explorer. I already...
  7. File Associations

File Associations: I have imported and saved personal photos of friends and family. I would like to use them as screensavers on a random, rotating basis. When I go to Settings and Personalization, I am asked to associate all the photos I would like to use with a file or program extension. I...
  8. File Association

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Association: Please help, I have .fls files needed for work that are now associated as IE, need help fast. 124860
  9. File Association

in Windows 10 Support
    File Association: Please help, I have .fls files needed for work that are now associated as IE, need help fast. 124860
  10. File Association

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Association: I use MS Office 2003 with Frontpage which works well in Win and does all I need. How can I associate .html files to open with Frontpage. In Control Panel - set default programs it dos not show Frontpage as an option. In Control Panel set File associations - it...