Windows 10: File Association to Programs

Discus and support File Association to Programs in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, Some programs on the pc were not installed with the installer - they are portable zip files, I unziped them into a folder, made a shortcut to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Motim, May 11, 2016.

1. Motim Win User

File Association to Programs

Hello,
    Some programs on the pc were not installed with the installer - they are portable zip files, I unziped them into a folder, made a shortcut to the desktop and they work fine for me. They are not listed in the 'installed programs' list.
    I am trying to associate certain files to such programs, I open the "default programs" panel to set the association, but when I want to change the current program, it opens the 'look into the store', no option to browse into the windows explorer,
    to set the default program.
    Hope I made myself clear.
    Thanks for answers

:)

Motim, May 11, 2016

2. Default Programs and File Association

Thanks Ramesh!

After changing in the properties, it worked!

Also, I realized that Winzip causes these problems, since it uses its own association for files. For anyone who has this problem, change the Winzip Preferences so the default programs can show up!

ThomasChen_395, May 11, 2016
  3. Default Programs and File Association

Try:

Right-click a .JSON file and click Properties

Click "Change" and then choose Notepad from the link.

Ramesh Srinivasan, May 11, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, May 11, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    You need to keep navigating through the dialogues (Choose another app, More apps) and not give up until you see
    Look for another app on this PC at the bottom.

Click on that and you will be able to browse to your exe.

And if you like, you can actually install the programs in the Zip files by using zipinstaller by Nirsofer (free).
    it creates an uninstall entry and start menu entries.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. File Association to Programs - Similar Threads - File Association Programs

2. File Associations How to determine the target program file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Associations How to determine the target program file: Win 10 pro build 18363 ver1909 fully updated. Seems to be working just fine. I've been struggling with a problem for a while. I've searched extensively but cannot find an answer to my specific question. Every other variant but the specific question. My question is if I have...
  3. File Associations How to determine the target program file

in Windows 10 Support
    File Associations How to determine the target program file: Win 10 pro build 18363 ver1909 fully updated. Seems to be working just fine. I've been struggling with a problem for a while. I've searched extensively but cannot find an answer to my specific question. Every other variant but the specific question. My question is if I have...
  4. Associate a Program

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Associate a Program: I have Ashampoo Burning Studio. When I had this program in my Win 7 O/S, I would insert the blank disk and I would get a menu asking which program I would like to use. when I installed Windows 10, I no longer get the menu. Instead I get a Message stating - "This file...
  5. associate a mail program

in Windows 10 Customization
    associate a mail program: Hello Trying to e-mail a photo on my desktop. I get an error message: This action cannot be performed. Associate a mail program with this type of file... How can I do that? If someone answers, where can I find the answer? My e-mail address is : *** Email address is...
  6. Associate file extensions to a program

Associate file extensions to a program: I am trying to associate a jpg file to Adobe Photoshop in a Windows 10 process that appears to continually direct me to a Windows 10 default recommendation. I managed to find two columns showing an incredible number of extensions on the left and the apps or programs on the...
  7. Associating a file type with a default program

Associating a file type with a default program: How can I change the association for a file type to an alternative application already installed? Using "control panel/default programs/assciate a file type or protocol with a program" dialogue always ends up showing the current default app plus the option of finding an...
  8. Can't uninstall program ''File does not have a program associated with it''

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't uninstall program ''File does not have a program associated with it'': I want to uninstall some programs but I can't because when I try I get the ''this file is not associated with a program to perform the action'' and I don't know how to fix it. Should I download an uninstaller program? Please help x...
  9. There is no email program associated

There is no email program associated: How do I fix this issue: "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create and association in the Default Programs control panel." There is no Default Programs in the control...
  10. File type associations not launching the program in the list

File type associations not launching the program in the list: This problem has just started on several machines since 8/20/2016. On Windows 10 Pro computers, the program associated with a file type extension will not launch correctly anymore even though the correct program is listed as associated with that file type. I have seen two...