Windows 10: File Chooser details always seem to get reset

Discus and support File Chooser details always seem to get reset in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; While this is not an earth-shaking problem, I have found that quite often, maybe after a restart, some File Chooser details get lost for some folders.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by arachnaut, Aug 30, 2017.

1. arachnaut Win User

File Chooser details always seem to get reset

While this is not an earth-shaking problem, I have found that quite often, maybe after a restart, some File Chooser details get lost for some folders.

I reset the details and apply to all folders of that type, and then later the details become reset to defaults again. Even the folder defaults seem to get reset to defaults. (I use the General items for all my folders, even pictures, videos, etc.)

Here is an example for the Desktop folder. There are many paths to the desktop, so I take as many as I can think of and set them all.

Later they seem to go away for some paths but not for others.

Can't figure this one out, but I think it is a recent update issue.

I first mentioned it here:

Change Folder Template in Windows 10 - Page 5 - Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Here is a sample of some different views for the Desktop:

File Chooser details always seem to get reset [​IMG]

:)

arachnaut, Aug 30, 2017
  2. mdemierre Win User

Excluding a .exe process - No file chooser: What to put in the "Name" field?

What format should be used for the "Process" exclusions in Windows Defender? It just opens a box and asks for a name, without any file chooser or format indication. After entering a name, it just appears in a list and that's all.

It seems that earlier versions used a file chooser, so it may be a bug. Otherwise, it's just terrible UX.

I have Windows 10 Pro with all the latest updates as of this post's date.

I want to excluded the ".exe" of my Roccat mouse configuration panel, I tried inputting the full path but I don't know if it works or not...

mdemierre, Aug 30, 2017
  3. N95 video recording settings

Thanks Babdi

One of the reasons I wanted to avoid converting files but beggars can't be choosers, if there is no other options available. I'll keep looking.

cheers

Kris

kriswaperth, Aug 30, 2017
  4. arachnaut Win User

I wonder if this has something to do with Explorer folder 'bags'?
    Do they have some limits?
    When I used one of the tutorial scripts to back them up, they are 12MB in size.
    What would happen if I just deleted these bags and started explorer views from scratch?
    Has anyone tried that?

arachnaut, Sep 1, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Sep 1, 2017
  6. arachnaut Win User
    Hi Brink,

No not after any particular update.

They just get lost at random.

I reset them one day and then a few days later they are lost, so I do it again.

Now I just ignore it all and live with whatever view comes up.

arachnaut, Sep 1, 2017
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If you notice it happening after saving a file in the folder, then it could be automatic folder discovery optimizing the folder for that file type.

Brink, Sep 1, 2017
  8. arachnaut Win User

Perhaps that is it, but I thought I had all defaults set to 'unrecognized' or whatever it was called.

Anyway, I reset all the bags as in option 1 you mentioned earlier using that BAT file.

I set up the standard view I like and I'll see if it happens again.

arachnaut, Sep 1, 2017
  9. arachnaut Win User
    Just for the record, after a restart things are fine and after using CCleaner things are still fine.
    So I will see if there is one other common thing that causes it to happen and post it if I find out.

arachnaut, Sep 1, 2017
  10. arachnaut Win User
    Just for curiosity's sake, I wonder how this folder type business works.

I'm a bit old-fashioned, so I'd like EVERY folder view to look EXACTLY the same - pictures, videos, music, etc.

I try to do that and when I see some of them change I wonder why.

I know that the view relates somehow to the path, not really the folder. In other words, there's not a desktop.ini file in a folder that does this, right?

The path seems to be related to the 'bag' feature of the shell, saved in the registry.

Some of these registry setting have a new (?) FMTID: field setting. Is that part of it?

And, some default views use 'Item Type' others use 'Type' - is there any difference?

Also, for "Link target" I'd like to see the finally resolved destination for all types of reparse point - hard links, soft links, junctions, shortcuts, etc. Is there a way to see those?

This whole business has a somewhat hodge-podge nature to it, probably because I don't understand how these folder views and typal data is supposed to work.

Anyone care to help me out with some references?

arachnaut, Sep 1, 2017
  11. arachnaut Win User
    One more set of questions that confuse me. I know there are several default folder type templates - general, documents, pictures, etc.

If I have a folder of one of these types, say pictures, I will see that view. But if I change that view to be like the General view in Folder Properties and then apply the view to all folders of that type, does that change the default type for all pictures?

In other words, are the templates built-in for the main types changed when I do this, or are just the current folders of that type changed?

And when I click on the inheritance feature, just what gets inherited - reparse points in the descending path don't inherit do they?

I know this is a complex topic, and I don't understand the subtleties. So when I try to figure out what is going wrong, I'm not sure what is 'broken'.

arachnaut, Sep 1, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You could use the method in the tutorial below to set a default folder view for all folders. You basically would first set all folders to have the same template, set the folder view of a folder how you want, and then "Apply to folders".

However, this doesn't prevent changing the folder view of any specific folder though.

*Arrow Set Default Folder View for all Folders in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

If you mean the inheritance feature in permissions, then that wouldn't have any affect on folder views. That's for access rights from the parent folder/drive instead.

Brink, Sep 1, 2017
  13. arachnaut Win User

Yes, that is what I do - all my folder types - the default template - is set to 'NotSpecified'.
    It has always been like that. Unless some update changes it. I run that BAT file to reset things when I see the changes happening.
    So Automatic Folder Type Discovery should be off.
    By inherit folder view, I mean this view setting, not permissions:

arachnaut, Sep 1, 2017
  14. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Ah, ok. Using that would only apply the template to all subfolders with the default folder view for that template.

Brink, Sep 1, 2017
  15. arachnaut Win User
    Yes, but that 'inherit' applies to what kinds of subfolders - links, junctions, etc. in subfolders? Or just normal folders?

For example, if I go to c:\users\jim (my user folder) and select that for all its subfolders , my desktop, for example, does not inherit that view, I think, because it is a library or maybe a special system folder type, or whatever it is called. And, does AppData inherit that and all its subfolders?

Or maybe it does, I'm confused, by all these paths to the same thing.

That is the basic question I'm asking: Is there a reference I could read that describes how this is supposed to work?

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to understand what I don't understand about this.

arachnaut, Sep 1, 2017
Thema:

1. File Chooser details always seem to get reset - Similar Threads - File Chooser details

2. Keep Windows Explorer always in Details

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keep Windows Explorer always in Details: Windows 11I dislike the Explorer modes that display cutsy little pictures, icons. When changed to details, it frequently reverts to the icons. What can be done to have Windows Explorer always display toolbar View always set to Details?...
  3. Keep Windows Explorer always in Details

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keep Windows Explorer always in Details: Windows 11I dislike the Explorer modes that display cutsy little pictures, icons. When changed to details, it frequently reverts to the icons. What can be done to have Windows Explorer always display toolbar View always set to Details?...
  4. security reset details

in Windows 10 Gaming
    security reset details: how can I access security details to update phone numbers and email addresses to be able to reset things like email passwords and such on wifes account? she can't remember password and can't reset it as her phone number has changedAny help would be appreciatedThank You...
  5. security reset details

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    security reset details: how can I access security details to update phone numbers and email addresses to be able to reset things like email passwords and such on wifes account? she can't remember password and can't reset it as her phone number has changedAny help would be appreciatedThank You...
  6. Add details to files in the detail view

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Add details to files in the detail view: Hello. I have a folder, "Invoices," that has a few different file types in it. The files are invoices that I get from vendors, normally as email attachments. I have over 100 vendors and I get the invoices as PDF's, Excel, or Word. I drag and drop the email attachment to...
  7. Hotmail seems to always be open

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hotmail seems to always be open: I have always opened my email through IE signing in each time. But now it is automatically signed in which I do not like, I think it leaves me open to intruders. Can I go back to signing in each time like I did in Windows 7, Is this possible?...
  8. Explorer always shows details by default

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer always shows details by default: Is it just me or someone else thinks that detail view is really outdated and now is just annoying. Any folder that you access, by default has lots of screen space occupied with 'unnecessary' details, forcing you to scroll down and seek further to find what you're looking...
  9. Always "show more details" in explorer when > 15 files selected?

in Windows 10 Support
    Always "show more details" in explorer when > 15 files selected?: When you select files in windows explorer, there is a pane on the right hand side that will show details about the selected files. If you select more than 15 files, the details section automatically disappears and is replaced with a "show more details" link that must be...
  10. Folder view always reverts to 'details'

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder view always reverts to 'details': I want to set all my folder views to List and have set it to be so from folder options several times but it keeps reverting to Details. Is this a bug? Anyone else experiencing this? And either way is there a master setting somewhere (like default programs) where I can...