Windows 10: File corrupted on USB flash drive or windows explorer confused?

Discus and support File corrupted on USB flash drive or windows explorer confused? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Have a new flash drive/stick. I copied some .MP4 videos to the drive for my TV. When I try to play them on my computer from the flash drive they dont... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gr11zzly, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Gr11zzly Win User

File corrupted on USB flash drive or windows explorer confused?

Have a new flash drive/stick. I copied some .MP4 videos to the drive for my TV. When I try to play them on my computer from the flash drive they dont play. I can play the original on the same machine. So deleted the flash copy and copied a new version. Same result. When I hover over a video file that has been copied onto the flash it shows all the correct information ( size and file type etc). Next I tried to copy a new copy OVER the existing flash version and chose the file compare that comes up in windows when the file name already exists. Now windows explorer tells me the file on the flash drive is zero bytes?? Hover over the file and its 700MB??.
    Either way--try as I might I can't copy a working file to that flash drive. Other drives are OK but not this one. Confused. Anyone know what's happening?

BTW I have successfully copied a folder full of TV episodes to the same drive without problems??

:)

Gr11zzly, Feb 13, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Windows 10 Search

• Insert the USB flash drive to a USB port on your computer.
    • Open File Explorer.
    • Double-click on the icon for your USB flash drive.
    • A new File Explorer window will open that shows all the files on the USB flash drive.

BulldogXX, Feb 13, 2017
  3. Can't assign volume names in File Explorer

Mr. Kumar,

Please note that I am referring only to Windows 10 Professional (32 bit), not the Windows 8 to which you refer.

I did the SFC scan. It found some corrupt files and repaired them. However, File Explorer still refuses to list the assigned volume names of external USB hard drives or flash drives.

Am I the only one with this problem, or do other users of Windows 10 have the same results? When you plug in an external USB hard drive, does Windows 10 File Explorer show its assigned volume label or simply the generic "Local Drive"? How about USB flash
    drives? Do they show up in File Explorer with their assigned volume labels or just with the generic "Removable Drive"?

Please try this on other Windows 10 systems and report the results here.

prestonpdx, Feb 13, 2017
  4. TrustMe Win User

Just a guess, check how the problem flash drive is formatted. Is it fat32 or ntfs? Check how the other flash drives are formatted. The ones that are OK.

TrustMe, Feb 13, 2017
  5. Gr11zzly Win User
    They are ex-FAT which should be OK. I have others similar.
    Now found that I have another batch of Pen drives that were meant to be 64GB that have similar characteristics. They are dudds I think. they show 64GB but anything copied to them past about 30GB is crap. Time to return the drives I think.
    Thanks

Gr11zzly, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File corrupted on USB flash drive or windows explorer confused? - Similar Threads - File corrupted USB

2. USB Flash Drive not showing up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Flash Drive not showing up in file explorer: I have two computers side by side. I know the flash drives are good because they work on my other computer. When I plug either of them into my main PC, I hear the "ding" that they are being detected, but they won't show up in my file explorer with my other drives. I have...
  3. USB Flash Drive not showing up in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Flash Drive not showing up in file explorer: I have two computers side by side. I know the flash drives are good because they work on my other computer. When I plug either of them into my main PC, I hear the "ding" that they are being detected, but they won't show up in my file explorer with my other drives. I have...
  4. Corrupted files on flash drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Corrupted files on flash drive: So I've got this flash drive that's near full capacity, and all of it is corrupted. It's in this garbled language see photos and it's impossible to rename or delete them. I've tried deleting them on the CMD prompt or using CHKDSK but all of that doesn't work. Is it broken...
  5. USB flash drive(s) not showing in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB flash drive(s) not showing in File Explorer: I believe this started with the 720 (1909 18363.720) Windows Update but I'm not sure. I'm going to try backing out the latest WU in a bit but wanted to post the problem here before doing so. File Explorer is not seeing any USB Flash drive or mounted ISO, but I can look at...
  6. File Explorer is confusing

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer is confusing: Somewhat new to Windows, after having used a Mac for several years. I find the layout in the File Explorer very confusing. It shows Quick Access, I see two separate Desktop listings (contents not the same), OneDrive, This PC, Libraries, My User Name. Why are there two...
  7. File Explorer and usb flash drive

File Explorer and usb flash drive: I had a virus that i used Reimage Repair to fix. When i went to file explorer the folder is empty in the usb flash drive so my files arent being saved. What do i do now?...
  8. usb flash drive

usb flash drive: I am using windows 10. My usb flash drive does not show in disk manage but only intermittently. Often to make matters worse it freezes my mouse when I have the flash drive plugged in. Also it wont let my computer shut down when the flash drive is plugged in. So far I have...
  9. corrupted files on flash drive

corrupted files on flash drive: windows 10 made my flash drive read only when making a recovery file but didnt finish and locked the drive, how can I reformat it as it is read only now https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/corrupted-files-on-flash-drive/7899ff17-a093-4968-873d-bb3911658758"
  10. Corrupted Flash drive

Corrupted Flash drive: i have an older flash pen drive (32gb) and i think it may be corrupted it will only format exFAT and when i pop in a file it comes back as unusable so if anyone can inform me no how to hack it back to normality it would be appreciated also when i try to format it to...