Windows 10: file encryption query

Discus and support file encryption query in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; ive never bothered with file encryption before. but iam strongly considering it.. the question is, when you encrypt a file or folder, can you still... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Pathfinder, Sep 28, 2017.

1. file encryption query

ive never bothered with file encryption before. but iam strongly considering it.. the question is, when you encrypt a file or folder, can you still download a program or images into it?*Shock

:)

Pathfinder, Sep 28, 2017

2. how come i can not encrypt a file?

Hi Hamilton,

We understand that you want to encrypt your files with a password.

Encrypting your files means you secure them with a password so it won't be accessed by other people without knowing the password, just like what you aim to do with your files.

Encrypting a file using the built-in encryption for Windows is Bitlocker. There are also other third-party software that offer this kind of file encryption.

Since encrypting a file or folder with Bitlocker is out of our support scope, it would be best that you post your query in the
    TechNet Forums. It is the home for all resources and tools designed to help IT professionals into more technical approach.

In line with this, we encourage you to post your query on this TechNet
    Forum link
    for a more suitable technical resolution of your concern.

We're just a post away should you have further queries.

Regards.

Michelle Her, Sep 28, 2017
  3. windows 10 - encryption of files

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

Encrypting folders and files is a way to protect them from unwanted access. Encrypting File System (EFS) is a feature of Windows that you can use to store information on your hard disk in an encrypted format. Encryption is the strongest protection that Windows
    provides to help you keep your information secure.

To encrypt a folder or file

1. Right-click the folder or file you want to encrypt, and then click
    Properties.

2. Click the
    General tab, and then click
    Advanced.

Select the Encrypt contents to secure data check box, click
    OK, and then click
    OK again.

Note:

The first time you encrypt a folder or file, an encryption certificate is automatically created. You should back up your encryption certificate. If your certificate and key are lost or damaged and you don't have a backup, you
    won't be able to use the files that you have encrypted. For more information.

file encryption query [​IMG]

Hope the information helps, if you have any further queries, feel free to post. We are here to assist you.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Guru Kiran G, Sep 28, 2017
  4. file encryption query

Hi Pathfinder.

It depends how you do it. If you encrypt the entire drive, say with Bitlocker, then once your have proven its you, you operate as you always do.

If you use a package like Veracrypt to create an encrypted container, and a container can have folders or files, you must un-encrypt the container and then you use it like normal. When finished you close the container.

A word of caution, encryption you have access to today is very strong. If you lose the keys you lose the information. Think through where you will keep backup keys. Also create a couple of use cases to ensure you can access your data. Like if machine MB dies how do I access, if encryption extends to backups how do you access. If you use a program like veracrypt do you have a backup of the installation files.

I backup and encrypt data I remove from house. I have program installed on second device, copies of installation files and multiple copies of keys in my password vault.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 28, 2017
Thema:

file encryption query

1. file encryption query - Similar Threads - file encryption query

2. Encrypting a file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Encrypting a file: I tried this. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-encrypt-a-file-1131805c-47b8-2e3e-a705-807e13c10da7But after I encrypted a file and then sent it to another computer, it can be opened directly as if it was not encrypted.Why?Is it encrypted on my disk only?How...
  3. Encrypting a file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypting a file: I tried this. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-encrypt-a-file-1131805c-47b8-2e3e-a705-807e13c10da7But after I encrypted a file and then sent it to another computer, it can be opened directly as if it was not encrypted.Why?Is it encrypted on my disk only?How...
  4. Encrypted files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Encrypted files: My windows drive got damaged and i had to reload windows. Now i cant open my encrypted files and cant install the certificate. It says the file is invalid for use as the following. Personal Information Exchange. Is there something i can do about it....
  5. File explorer query

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer query: I have an issue on my Win10 Machine. Whenever I try to create a new folder on my desktop it's automatically named New folder(2) ; Which means that there is already a folder with that name. I have done multiple searches on my desktop through file explorer with all the hidden...
  6. File Manager query

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Manager query: I have an issue on my Win10 Machine. Whenever I try to create a new folder on my desktop it's automatically named New folder(2) ; Which means that there is already a folder with that name. I have done multiple searches on my desktop through file explorer with all the hidden...
  7. File Encryption

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Encryption: I was encrypting files on my laptop which has windows 10 however, I had accidentally stopped the encryption and after I checked I lost almost all of my files. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-encryption/bf1d6484-d95a-4c54-8fe3-80d605a2e0b4
  8. Search Encrypt interferes with queries and redirects me to advertisers

in Cortana
    Search Encrypt interferes with queries and redirects me to advertisers: Search Encrypt interferes with on line queries and sends me to a long selection of advertisers, not a way to answer simple questions. How do I turn off the useless Search Encrypt permanently?...
  9. Encrypting File System, You are encrypting a file or trying to access an encrypted file...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Encrypting File System, You are encrypting a file or trying to access an encrypted file...: I do not use a smart card. [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/encrypting-file-system-you-are-encrypting-a-file/a56f8b42-45e4-4d23-a119-5b4ee55f305e"
  10. Page File Query

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Page File Query: I only have 4 gigs memory. Dell says I can only upgrade to 6 gigs but Crucial says 2 banks of 4 gigs is okay. MS recommends my page file to be set at 1394 megs. I've read that 2 x memory total is a number to shoot at. That would be around 8 gig page file. Space is not a...