Windows 10: File Explorer address bar turned black

Discus and support File Explorer address bar turned black in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, to elaborate on the thread title: after updating to build 1709/Fall Creators update, File Explorer's address bar has spontaneously turned... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DeltaPavonis, Mar 13, 2018.

1. File Explorer address bar turned black

Hi there, to elaborate on the thread title: after updating to build 1709/Fall Creators update, File Explorer's address bar has spontaneously turned black and for the life of me, I can't revert it to white like it was before.

My Google-fu is coming up empty here, as variations of the search string "windows 10 file explorer address bar black" haven't really dredged up anything useful.
    Any ideas short of doing a complete OS reinstall?
    Attached is a screenshot of File Explorer as it currently is.

:)

DeltaPavonis, Mar 13, 2018

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Mar 13, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Windows 10 Taskbar

This is going to sound strange, but the Address Bar on your Taskbar can be cleared from Windows File Explorer . . .

Open Windows File Explorer

At the top is the Address bar, right click and choose Delete History

If you do not get "Delete History' in the right click menu, click somewhere else in File Explorer and then right click the Address bar again

Imgur

DaveM121, Mar 13, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

File Explorer address bar turned black

You can find traces of that sort of appearance e.g. here:
    Windows 8 on the desktop—an awkward hybrid | Ars Technica
    - see image following text "A few issues are, I hope, simply due to the beta quality"
    - though how that relates to what you are seeing I've no idea.

What did you upgrade from?

Can you confirm you've not used any 3rd party program to modify file explorer's appearance such as OldNew explorer or Qttabbar?

dalchina, Mar 13, 2018
  5. Good call - it was in fact Old New Explorer causing the issue. I'd updated from a prior build of Windows 10 to 1703, though I honestly don't remember what build I was on prior to the update.

DeltaPavonis, Mar 14, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    Good news. Nothing wrong with using such programs - so long as they behave as you want...

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

File Explorer address bar turned black

1. File Explorer address bar turned black - Similar Threads - File Explorer address

2. File Explorer Address Bar Missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Address Bar Missing: I just recently upgraded to Windows 11 and I noticed that the address bar is missing whenever I try to upload a file, I've tried to look in the options and found nothing that could change it. The File Explorer address missing...
  3. File Explorer Address Bar Missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Address Bar Missing: I just recently upgraded to Windows 11 and I noticed that the address bar is missing whenever I try to upload a file, I've tried to look in the options and found nothing that could change it. The File Explorer address missing...
  4. File Explorer Address Bar small

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Address Bar small: Somehow the address bar in my file explorer became smaller than usual, is there a way to return it back to normal?Just to be clear, I'm not asking to change the width between the search bar and address bar, only the height of the address bar.Thanks in advance....
  5. File Explorer Address Bar small

File Explorer Address Bar small: Somehow the address bar in my file explorer became smaller than usual, is there a way to return it back to normal?Just to be clear, I'm not asking to change the width between the search bar and address bar, only the height of the address bar.Thanks in advance....
  6. FIle Explorer address bar breadcrumbs

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FIle Explorer address bar breadcrumbs: Is there any way to get the breadcrumb list to show more than 19 items - a setting somewhere, or in the registry?I'm tired of scrolling all the time. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-address-bar-breadcrumbs/36f0d176-4052-45c0-bb36-912a0e1982a0
  7. FIle Explorer address bar breadcrumbs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FIle Explorer address bar breadcrumbs: Is there any way to get the breadcrumb list to show more than 19 items - a setting somewhere, or in the registry?I'm tired of scrolling all the time. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-address-bar-breadcrumbs/36f0d176-4052-45c0-bb36-912a0e1982a0
  8. FIle Explorer address bar breadcrumbs

9. Windows File Explorer Address Bar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows File Explorer Address Bar: I'm currently having a problem with my windows file explorer. As you can see in the image, the address bar is black. I would like to to revert to its original color but I don't know how. [ATTACH]...
  10. Using the file explorer address bar

in Windows 10 Support
    Using the file explorer address bar: I typed an entry incorrectly into the File Explorer address bar and it gave me a dropdown menu underneath giving me the option to search for it so I selected to search for it (in the address bar not the Search box on the far right). I then got a Windows Security window which...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. address bar turned black

2. black address bar

3. windows explorer address bar black

4. my windows explorer turns black,
  5. file explorer address bar black,
  6. Dark File Explorer showing a white line below the address bar,
  7. explorer address bar black,
  8. file explorer address bar turn black,
  9. windows file explorer address bar error,
  10. file explorer turn black,
  11. file explorer turned black,