Windows 10: File Explorer and other programs are slow or do not respond

Discus and support File Explorer and other programs are slow or do not respond in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This has been happening more and more frequently. When I wake the PC at the start of a new day, or even after an hour or two, file explorer is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SSIntimidator, Jul 4, 2018.

1. File Explorer and other programs are slow or do not respond

This has been happening more and more frequently. When I wake the PC at the start of a new day, or even after an hour or two, file explorer is incredibly slow to respond, if it responds at all.

Moving or deleting files, or even emptying the recycle bin never fully completes. It just sits at 99%.

When I create a new folder it does not show the folder, or new name unless I hit F5.

Programs like Lightroom or even Chrome are sometimes unable to even open.

Shutting down, or even selecting the restart option either never work or take up to 20 minutes to begin.

Not even sure where to begin diagnosing this issue.

:)

SSIntimidator, Jul 4, 2018

2. File Explorer Not Responding in Windows 10

Hi,

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below

• What troubleshooting steps have you tried to fix the issue?
    • Have you tried clearing your temp files form the system?
    • Do you have enough free space in your C: drive?

For now, I suggest that you run the methods below and check if it helps.

Method 1:

When explorer run slow, open Task Manager and check if there are any services or startup that might be has high memory or CPU usage.

Method 2:

Run maintenance task checks issues that might slow down your computer's performance, such as how many users are currently logged on to the computer and whether multiple programs are running at the same time.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + X on the keyboard.

• Select Control Panel.

• Select Troubleshooting.

• Click on Run maintenance task under
      System and Security.

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Jul 4, 2018
  3. wren9x Win User
    Windows 10 file explorer not responding

following ALL of the above steps did nothing. explorer.exe still broken.

additional steps taken:

1x system refresh, explorer still dead

1x clean boot, explorer still dead

3x sfc /scannow, rebooted in between, explorer still dead

1x restore point, all programs uninstalled, explorer worked for 4 hours, then died.

1x reset, explorer still never opened

1x reverted back to 8.1, explorer woked, autoupdated to 10, explorer died

1x COMPLETE WIPE, reinstalled 8.1, autoupdated to 10, explorer died.

wiping again. reeinstalling 8.1. turning off updates for good.

amazing this CRITICAL issue exists at all.

wren9x, Jul 4, 2018
  4. File Explorer and other programs are slow or do not respond

File explorer not responding

Hi Sue,

After an update, your PC can sometimes cause software conflicts. We would like to know more about the File Explorer not responding. Please provide answers to the questions:

• Can you please tell us if this update was a regular security update or the Fall Creators update?
    • When you saw a dialog box, did you see a particular error message? If yes please send a screenshot.
    • Did you perform any troubleshooting steps to resolve the concern?

We'll wait for you response to our queries.

Robert Caw, Jul 4, 2018
Thema:

File Explorer and other programs are slow or do not respond

1. File Explorer and other programs are slow or do not respond - Similar Threads - File Explorer programs

2. file explorer very slow / not responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer very slow / not responding: file explorer very slow / not responding. takes for ever to come respond.done the clear cache,sfc check and options setingsno change.only started after the latest update....
  3. file explorer very slow / not responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explorer very slow / not responding: file explorer very slow / not responding. takes for ever to come respond.done the clear cache,sfc check and options setingsno change.only started after the latest update....
  4. File Explorer Not Responding

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Not Responding: I can't upload or attach anything from file explorer regardless of browser. I can open File Explorer on its own but it doesn't respond when I want to upload files online or attach files to email. I tried changing to Microsoft Edge and Opera, and it's still the same....
  5. File Explorer Not Responding

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Not Responding: I can't upload or attach anything from file explorer regardless of browser. I can open File Explorer on its own but it doesn't respond when I want to upload files online or attach files to email. I tried changing to Microsoft Edge and Opera, and it's still the same....
  6. Windows 10 File Explorer slow and not responding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File Explorer slow and not responding: As the title above my file explorer takes too long to load when i opened it, or even attaching files online. If I click anything it will show that its not responding and then finish loading after awhile. Other apps work just fine only the file explorer has problem.So far I...
  7. File Explorer Resizing/Position in other Programs

File Explorer Resizing/Position in other Programs: Hi All, I hope someone can help with a little, but very annoying issue I've had for some time My current OS is Windows 10 Home, Version 20H2, OS Build 19042.685 and Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0 When I open File Explorer on my desktop it opens in the...
  8. Windows 10 File Explorer and other programs not responding and crashing randomly.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 File Explorer and other programs not responding and crashing randomly.: I'm using Windows 10 64bit. Whenever I open a folder, it crashes or stops responding and sometimes my screen goes black with a cursor. Everything on my PC has become really slow, deleting/copying/ takes too much time, right-click takes too much time. I am having this...
  9. File explorer slow and wont respond

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File explorer slow and wont respond: As the title says my file Explorer is bugging. At startup the file Explorer works perfectly normal, but after a short while it doesent respond when i click the desktop icon and right clicking inside the file Explorer causes the whole thing to freeze. It also loads very...
  10. File explorer and other programs crashing

File explorer and other programs crashing: I thought I had a good life. Then Windows Update 1903 auto-installed overnight. All of a sudden. my Windows and Outlook profiles were corrupt and many of my programs did not work. I created a new profile to fix the one the update corrupted. But File Explorer, Chrome,...