Windows 10: File Explorer - Copy/Cut and Paste function not working

Discus and support File Explorer - Copy/Cut and Paste function not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, I need some help seeing at MS Support could not solve the problem. When trying to copy and paste a file from File Explorer (or Desktop),... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Barend, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Barend Win User

File Explorer - Copy/Cut and Paste function not working

Hi there, I need some help seeing at MS Support could not solve the problem.

When trying to copy and paste a file from File Explorer (or Desktop), my "Paste" operations remains disabled. As if the copy operation never actually copied the file. I also noticed that when I select "Cut" (file/icon becomes somewhat transparent), then moment I right click on the location where I would like to paste, the file/icon that the transparency stops, and once again the "Paste" function is not available.

The same goes for Ctrl+X/Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V. This also does not work.

When I boot into safe mode the operation works however, and intermittently in "normal" mode the operation does work. It seems as if some service/driver/thing stops the functionality.

Please assist, I will provide additional information if required.

Thanks,

:)

Barend, Oct 20, 2015

2. File explorer - cannot cut copy and paste why ????

Hi jai Shroff,

I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

Step 1: Safe Mode with Networking

I suggest you to Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking and check if it helps.

Follow the instructions provided below.

• Press the 'Windows +I' key on the keyboard.
    • Click on Update and Security.
    • Click on Recovery option.
    • Under Advanced Startup, click Restart now.
    • Click on Troubleshoot, Advanced options,
      Startup Settings.
    • Click Restart, select Safe Mode with Networking
      and then press Enter.

Note:
    Restart the computer to start in normal mode.

If the issue doesn't occur in Safe mode with networking then place the computer in a Clean Boot and check.

Step 2: Clean boot

Follow the Microsoft help article to perform clean boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

Note: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with Clean

Boot of the KB article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Hope it helps,

Nikko Garcia, Oct 20, 2015
  3. File explorer - cannot cut copy and paste why ????

It's a new laptop i purchased. when i sync my phone to the laptop and try to move my data from the phone to the pc it deleted my data instead of moving it. I lost all my images from the phone. this is rubbish. Why i cannot cut copy paste images or videos
    from phone to pc and pc to phone

jai shroff, Oct 20, 2015
  4. azasadny Win User

Barend,

I had a similar issue and I uninstalled Adobe Reader and now everything works. did you recently install Adobe Reader, by any chance?

azasadny, Oct 20, 2015
  5. Barend Win User
    Hi Azasadny,

My system was upgraded from Win 8 Pro to Win 10 Pro, and Adobe Reader XI was installed prior to the upgrade, so in essence it was always there. I tried uninstalling Adobe Reader, restarting and trying a copy and paste command again, but still no luck.

Thanks for the proposal though...

Barend, Oct 20, 2015
  6. perichi Win User
    Hello...
    Barend, did you find a solution for this? I have the same issue...
    THX

perichi, Dec 20, 2015
  7. Right click start button go to program and features and see if you can uninstall it there then reinstall it ok or go to their site and try from there

hTconeM9user, Dec 20, 2015
  8. davidhk Win User

Until you find a solution on Copy/paste problem, I'd like to suggest you a better ( in my opinion ) way.......
    Copy To and Move To option in right click Context Menu.
    Use this tutorial :
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html

Once downloaded and enabled, all you need to do is ...............
    Right click at the file/folder > click Copy To > navigate to the destination location > select the location > click Copy.

Same method applies to Move To.

davidhk, Dec 20, 2015
  9. perichi Win User
    Thank you. It helps for now but ctrl-c and v option is essential feature in windows... would really like to have it back... *Sad
    Everywhere else works... only win10 file explorer is the problem....strange...

perichi, Dec 22, 2015
  10. davidhk Win User
    Agree.
    But at least for now, you have something you can use.

davidhk, Dec 22, 2015
  11. davidhk Win User
    By the way, have you run a system file check to look for corrupt files ? It will try to do repair if any found.

If you have not tried that, give it a try..............................
    Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
    If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
    If the report is #3, use this method................
    In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.
    Again it will take some time.
    When finished, it will give you a report.

davidhk, Dec 22, 2015
  12. perichi Win User
    Thank you. Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. So...problem is elsewhere.... hm...

perichi, Dec 22, 2015
  13. davidhk Win User

I have no more idea to help.
    Sorry.

davidhk, Dec 22, 2015
  14. kkehoe Win User
    If your problem is identical to the original poster with respect to everything working OK in Safe Mode, then it's not likely an operating system issue.

Something in your startup menu is probably causing the problem. I would look at security software as a start but you may have to use "msconfig" to disable your startup items and narrow down the problem.

Kevin

kkehoe, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer - Copy/Cut and Paste function not working - Similar Threads - File Explorer Copy

2. cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer': cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer' https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cutcopypaste-disable-in-file-explorer/2d5da5c7-e22a-48e0-922b-f5535697c0d6
  3. cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer': cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer' https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cutcopypaste-disable-in-file-explorer/2d5da5c7-e22a-48e0-922b-f5535697c0d6
  4. cut,copy,paste disable in file explorer'

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Copy/Cut - Paste Appdata files>

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy/Cut - Paste Appdata files>: I'd like to cut & paste some User files including Appdata and possible user files from C to D. Does that cause any problems?Thanks! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copycut-paste-appdata-files/9284a01f-bbd1-4f17-80b6-99dbcb11fae0
  6. Copy and paste functions are not working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Copy and paste functions are not working.: Hey there! I am having some problems trying to copy and paste anything in my computer. I just restarted it and installed Windows 10, and the functions copy and paste are not working. When I copy any text pressing Crtl+C and paste it using Crtl+V, it just paste a screenshot....
  7. Cut, Copy, and Paste not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cut, Copy, and Paste not working: Asking a question about my son's Lenovo laptop. Cut, Copy, and paste not working. Other hotkey combos that I know appear to be working correctly. This is an issue in Google docs, Word, Notepad, and other programs. I can access his clipboard with CTRL + V and see the...
  8. copy/paste function not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    copy/paste function not working: The Copy Paste function is not working on my brand new computer Windows 10. Does anyone have the solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copypaste-function-not-working/7c850f68-5fc4-43ed-80d8-bf1ccb6f6402
  9. copy, cut and paste not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copy, cut and paste not working: No matter what I try to do, I can't manipulate folders by cut, copy and paste. It is this way on the desktop, windows explorer and all programs. So far I have reset Windows 10, did a bare metal install of windows 10, and it will still not work. This last time, right after...
  10. File Explorer and File Copy/Paste etc functions not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer and File Copy/Paste etc functions not working: After a windows update some time ago, I cannot copy, paste, move, or cut files. Even CTRL+C and CTRL+V is not working for files nor drag and dropping. I am also not able to create new folders nor view the properties of files. And I don't see any of these options when I right...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. paste not working in explorer

2. ctrl x not working in file explorer

3. explorer copy paste

4. copy/paste not working with file explorer,
  5. windows 10 file explorer will not copy or paste,
  6. cut and paste not working in file explorer,
  7. cut and paste function not woeking on discus