Windows 10: File Explorer crash when opened from taskbar (never happened before)

Discus and support File Explorer crash when opened from taskbar (never happened before) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I just tried to open the File Explorer and as soon as the quick access menu was about to load the window disappeared and the taskbar was reloading.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by allam447635, Aug 19, 2017.

1. File Explorer crash when opened from taskbar (never happened before)

So I just tried to open the File Explorer and as soon as the quick access menu was about to load the window disappeared and the taskbar was reloading. I looked and found that Explorer.EXE had crashed with exception code 0xc0000005 and the faulting module was ntdll.dll. Just so you know this never happened before and seems to have just been a one-time fluke. What just happened?

:)

allam447635, Aug 19, 2017

2. Windows 10 File Explore

Hi Don,

To isolate this issue with the File Explorer, we would like to ask a few questions. Aside from pinning the File Explorer on the Taskbar, have you tried creating a File Explorer shortcut on the Desktop, then tried opening it if it's the same? Is this only
    happening when you open a subfolder in the File Explorer? How about the other apps? Any issues when opening a certain on your computer? Lastly, are there any changes on your computer before this happened?

Any additional information would be helpful.

Thanks.

Marque Lor, Aug 19, 2017
  3. MSTRTW2CE Win User
    File Explorer crash doesn't open after a while and windows hangs on restarting.

After one of these lastest updates (KB3152599 / KB3156421) it seems that File Explorer is crashing..

Can't open it from taskbar nor from the start menu. Even my harddisk shortcuts doesn't open File Explorer crash when opened from taskbar (never happened before) :(.

Trying to reboot doesn't work either because Windows hangs on the "restarting" screen.

Still can open program's like chrome tho...

Never had any trouble before those updates, everything was working fine.

MSTRTW2CE, Aug 19, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

File Explorer crash when opened from taskbar (never happened before)

That is a Kernel issue. Going back to your first thread, your best option would be to do a Clean Install. If you have a NVIDIA chipset for GPU, that has also been known to cause that error.

bro67, Aug 19, 2017
  5. linhlz Win User
    Method 1.

You should be able to fix this problem by disabling DEP (Data Execution Prevention)
    • Step 1.Log in computer with Administrator account to make sure you have fully administrative rights.
    • Step 2. If your computer is running Windows XP, click "Start" button and select "Run". Windows 7 user can press Windows and R keys. Type sysdm.cpl in Run box and click OK.
    • Step 3. You can see System Prosperities window from which you need to click Advanced tab and then Settings.
    • Step 4. The "Performance Options" window will pop up and please click "Data Execution Protection" tab. Select the option "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" and click "Add" button.
    • Step 5. Browse files from the Open applet and find the exe files of the software which causes the error code. Select it and click "Open" button.
    • Step 6. Click "Apply" and "OK" to make changes take effect.

Method 2. Update Internet Explorer

linhlz, Aug 19, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    linhlz the problem has zero to do with the steps you posted, it is a known problem that rolled over from Windows 7. The OP has been dealing with issues with his install, which has been posted in their first thread. It can only be fixed by doing a clean install, since his install is borked to begin with.

Also Internet Explorer does not factor in on this, since again it has zero for why this problem occurs.

bro67, Aug 19, 2017
  7. As I said, this only happened once, and I am now able to open the File Explorer normally again.

allam447635, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

File Explorer crash when opened from taskbar (never happened before)

1. File Explorer crash when opened from taskbar (never happened before) - Similar Threads - File Explorer crash

2. Explorer.exe is crashing when file explorer is opened

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer.exe is crashing when file explorer is opened: I have windows11 22H2, today my file explorer stopped working, when i open it it just hangs and doesn't load the path section and then crashes explorer.exe, is there any way i can find out what causes this without reinstalling windows?Faulting application name: explorer.exe,...
  3. Explorer.exe is crashing when file explorer is opened

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer.exe is crashing when file explorer is opened: I have windows11 22H2, today my file explorer stopped working, when i open it it just hangs and doesn't load the path section and then crashes explorer.exe, is there any way i can find out what causes this without reinstalling windows?Faulting application name: explorer.exe,...
  4. File Explorer crashes when opening folder/file from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer crashes when opening folder/file from OneDrive: File Explorer crashes freezes on click or right-click folder/file from OneDrive. It works fine on other Windows users. I have already tried: reseting the OD reinstalling the OD System File Checker turning off the detail/preview pane off Any more ideas?...
  5. File Explorer crashes when opening particular folders .

File Explorer crashes when opening particular folders .: I tried everything available on Internet sfc /scannow chkdsk etc here is the error in event viewer... Fault bucket 1807279198899510965, type 4 Event Name: APPCRASH Response: Not available Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: explorer.exe P2: 10.0.19041.662 P3: 996782f8 P4:...
  6. File Explorer crashes when opening particular folders .

File Explorer crashes when opening particular folders .: I tried everything available on Internet sfc /scannow chkdsk etc here is the error in event viewer... Fault bucket 1807279198899510965, type 4 Event Name: APPCRASH Response: Not available Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: explorer.exe P2: 10.0.19041.662 P3: 996782f8 P4:...
  7. file explore crashes on opening

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    file explore crashes on opening: file explore is a fuckin bitch cant even boot my computer into safe mod because it just crashes and i refuse to reinstall windows what should I do submitted by /u/Pichumaster114 [link] [comments]...
  8. booted offline never happened to before

booted offline never happened to before: i got booted offline 1 of my monitors says connection not found the other lets me watch youtube but any game i start up it crashes i have restarted nothing has worked i dk what to do...
  9. This never happened before . . .

This never happened before . . .: I want to create a desktop icon, that when I click on it, would get me on the internet? What I need to know, is what the exact path, to put on the icon shortcut, that would connect me? Thanks for reading . . . Jerry...
  10. Windows Explorer crashes when I open File Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer crashes when I open File Explorer: So whenever I click File Explorer on the taskbar or in the start menu, Windows Explorer crashes and I need to go into task manager and restart it. But if I click a folder on my desktop it doesn't crash? 56915