Windows 10: File Explorer crashes after dragging Chrome Web Store URL shortcut

Discus and support File Explorer crashes after dragging Chrome Web Store URL shortcut in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, While visiting the Chrome web store, I dragged a URL from my Chrome address bar to a folder that is now crashing when I try to delete that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ztalk112, Nov 6, 2016.

1. ztalk112 Win User

File Explorer crashes after dragging Chrome Web Store URL shortcut

Hi all,

While visiting the Chrome web store, I dragged a URL from my Chrome address bar to a folder that is now crashing when I try to delete that shortcut, or interact with other files in that folder.

What's different about the url shortcut in this case is that it's only present in the address bar when you open an app, theme or extension (in the web store) as a pop-up to take a look at the details.

You can see what I mean by loading the URL concerned:
    pro grey - Chrome Web Store

Again, when I try to delete that shortcut, File Explorer crashes and I'm returned to the desktop. The shortcut is still present when I navigate back to the folder.

If I save another url shortcut to the folder and then delete that shortcut, File Explorer crashes.
    If I save a text file to the folder, File Explorer crashes (but the file is present when I navigate back to the folder).

The issue appears to be confined to the folder where I saved the shortcut. However, if I copy the original chrome store shortcut to another folder, that folder will then exhibit the same behaviour.

Should I try deleting the folder? Will there be any problem left lurking in the background even if that is successful?

Thanks in anticipation.

:)

ztalk112, Nov 6, 2016

2. webpage shortcut Windows 10

After stumbling around with a few earlier suggestions trying to create a web site desktop shortcut in Windows 10 using their Edge browser, I took a shot at trying Mr. Edgell's suggestion, switched to Google Chrome - not having Internet Explorer - and VOILA!!!,
    was immediately able to drag the selected web site's URL to the desktop with no problem whatsoever. So much for progress with Windows 10, huh?

Tippecanoe, Nov 6, 2016
  3. Facebook icon on Windows 10 background

Option 1: download the Facebook app from the Windows Store then pin it to the desktop:

Step 1:

Download Facebook - Microsoft Store

Step 2: Quick
    Tip: Create desktop shortcuts in Windows 10

Option 2: Launch Internet Explorer then create a Favicon:

Step 1: How to locate and open Internet Explorer in Windows

Step 2:

To create shortcuts to your favorite websites on the desktop

File Explorer crashes after dragging Chrome Web Store URL shortcut [​IMG]

Launch Internet Explorer, the click the left mouse button on the URL icon for the desired website, then drag and release on the desktop.

File Explorer crashes after dragging Chrome Web Store URL shortcut [​IMG]

You can also drag and drop on the desktop

If you prefer Chrome:

How to Create a Desktop Shortcut to a Website in Chrome - LAPTOP

Andre Da Costa, Nov 6, 2016
Thema:

File Explorer crashes after dragging Chrome Web Store URL shortcut

1. File Explorer crashes after dragging Chrome Web Store URL shortcut - Similar Threads - File Explorer crashes

2. shortcut to URL misbehaves

in Windows 10 Customization
    shortcut to URL misbehaves: When I drag the lock icon from a browser address-bar (opened to a URL) to the desktop, a shortcut to that webpage is supposed to form, but when I click that 'shortcut', it is NOT a browser that opens, but a print (queue ?) window. That same response of inappropriately...
  3. Can't drag a file from file explorer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't drag a file from file explorer: Hi I am trying to upload a file to my accountancy software. the application only lets me drag it over. This month I have found that when I drag the file, I get the egg timer next to the cursor. Whether I wait or release the mouse button the egg timer disappears and file...
  4. File Explorer Crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer Crash: I can't open it and I can not do anything. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/file-explorer-crash/c7cfbc10-affd-4e22-828f-d70429c6c910
  5. Edge: Drag Web Page Shortcut?

in Browsers and Email
    Edge: Drag Web Page Shortcut?: One of the things I use a lot with Internet Explorer is dragging a shortcut from the address bar to the Desktop (actually shift-dragging, or it makes a silly .website shortcut). How can I do this in Edge? 9525
  6. Dragging an URL form Edge to the Desktop

in Browsers and Email
    Dragging an URL form Edge to the Desktop: Is it possible to drag URL's from Edge to the desktop? I got very used to doing this under Firefox and found it handy. Thank you. 100390
  7. Firefox url shortcut downloads and opens a file

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox url shortcut downloads and opens a file: I'm running windows 10 pro build 14986. For example, I go to bing.com. I drag and drop the shortcut from Firefox to the desktop. I double click on the shortcut and it opens File:///C:/Users/Username/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/IE/OB0L0QRF/HGCFGEDM. I can watch...
  8. File Explorer Crashing

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Crashing: Hello, so i am trying to open file explorer on my laptop from the start menu and where it is pinned on the start menu. When i do this, file explorer opens for a couple of seconds and closes on both. When this happens, I also hear the hard drive make a noise inside. I can...
  9. Explorer lagging when dragging files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Explorer lagging when dragging files: So I noticed a couple months back that Explorer started lagging when I drag a file anywhere, even within the same window. I click, start to drag, and it immediately lags for about a second or two, then suddenly moves to the spot I indicated. Does it with right-click drags,...
  10. Internet Shortcut - Internet Explorer .URL causes explorer crash/hang

in Windows 10 Support
    Internet Shortcut - Internet Explorer .URL causes explorer crash/hang: I'm on a fresh install Win10Home64Bit, 1709.16299.125. This occurs the instant I get to the desktop after installation and forever after. Right clicking on an internet shortcut (.URL) in file explorer or on desktop causes explorer to hang and occasionally crash. Occasionally,...