Windows 10: File Explorer crashes after dragging Chrome Web Store URL shortcut

Discus and support File Explorer crashes after dragging Chrome Web Store URL shortcut in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, While visiting the Chrome web store, I dragged a URL from my Chrome address bar to a folder that is now crashing when I try to delete that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ztalk112, Nov 6, 2016.

1. ztalk112 Win User

File Explorer crashes after dragging Chrome Web Store URL shortcut

Hi all,

While visiting the Chrome web store, I dragged a URL from my Chrome address bar to a folder that is now crashing when I try to delete that shortcut, or interact with other files in that folder.

What's different about the url shortcut in this case is that it's only present in the address bar when you open an app, theme or extension (in the web store) as a pop-up to take a look at the details.

You can see what I mean by loading the URL concerned:
    pro grey - Chrome Web Store

Again, when I try to delete that shortcut, File Explorer crashes and I'm returned to the desktop. The shortcut is still present when I navigate back to the folder.

If I save another url shortcut to the folder and then delete that shortcut, File Explorer crashes.
    If I save a text file to the folder, File Explorer crashes (but the file is present when I navigate back to the folder).

The issue appears to be confined to the folder where I saved the shortcut. However, if I copy the original chrome store shortcut to another folder, that folder will then exhibit the same behaviour.

Should I try deleting the folder? Will there be any problem left lurking in the background even if that is successful?

Thanks in anticipation.

:)

ztalk112, Nov 6, 2016

2. webpage shortcut Windows 10

After stumbling around with a few earlier suggestions trying to create a web site desktop shortcut in Windows 10 using their Edge browser, I took a shot at trying Mr. Edgell's suggestion, switched to Google Chrome - not having Internet Explorer - and VOILA!!!,
    was immediately able to drag the selected web site's URL to the desktop with no problem whatsoever. So much for progress with Windows 10, huh?

Tippecanoe, Nov 6, 2016
  3. Facebook icon on Windows 10 background

Option 1: download the Facebook app from the Windows Store then pin it to the desktop:

Step 1:

Download Facebook - Microsoft Store

Step 2: Quick
    Tip: Create desktop shortcuts in Windows 10

Option 2: Launch Internet Explorer then create a Favicon:

Step 1: How to locate and open Internet Explorer in Windows

Step 2:

To create shortcuts to your favorite websites on the desktop

File Explorer crashes after dragging Chrome Web Store URL shortcut [​IMG]

Launch Internet Explorer, the click the left mouse button on the URL icon for the desired website, then drag and release on the desktop.

File Explorer crashes after dragging Chrome Web Store URL shortcut [​IMG]

You can also drag and drop on the desktop

If you prefer Chrome:

How to Create a Desktop Shortcut to a Website in Chrome - LAPTOP

Andre Da Costa, Nov 6, 2016
Thema:

File Explorer crashes after dragging Chrome Web Store URL shortcut

1. File Explorer crashes after dragging Chrome Web Store URL shortcut - Similar Threads - File Explorer crashes

2. Switch to Chrome Pop-up in chrome Web Store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Switch to Chrome Pop-up in chrome Web Store: I've been having an issue with Chrome for a while, and I think I've already tried everything from resetting Chrome to reinstalling and double-checking the default browser on my computer. Still, the switch to Chrome pops up. Also, whenever I open my Chrome, why do some of my...
  3. Switch to Chrome Pop-up in chrome Web Store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switch to Chrome Pop-up in chrome Web Store: I've been having an issue with Chrome for a while, and I think I've already tried everything from resetting Chrome to reinstalling and double-checking the default browser on my computer. Still, the switch to Chrome pops up. Also, whenever I open my Chrome, why do some of my...
  4. Open saved URL shortcuts in Chrome with parameters

in Browsers and Email
    Open saved URL shortcuts in Chrome with parameters: On the latest version of Edge, I can enable the Extensions Toolbar Menu by adding "--enable-features=ExtensionsToolbarMenu" parameter to the shortcut target pinned to the start menu and to the taskbar. However, when launching Edge from saved URLs (both internetshortcut and...
  5. Files or shortcut delete when dragged

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files or shortcut delete when dragged: Whenever I drag a file, folder or application saved in desktop or library, it is automatically sent to the recycle bin, I would like to ask if this a system-specific error or just a general changeable windows 10 error....
  6. Not able to drag url shortcuts into phones folders through Windows 10 File Explorer and a USB-C

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not able to drag url shortcuts into phones folders through Windows 10 File Explorer and a USB-C: When I try to drag an internet shortcut that is in a Windows 10 desktop folder to my Samsung S20+ Cell Phone, the desktop makes a dinging alert sound and the links do not paste. I do not know what the ding is since there is no notification a notification would be nice and may...
  7. Chrome Web Store

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Chrome Web Store: When I try to view extensions in Chrome Web Store, I get an almost blank screen. When the web store opens, I see the name of the extension at the top of the page and below that, a big square as if there should be something in it outlined in blue followed by details of the...
  8. URL shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    URL shortcut: How do you create a desktop shortcut to a URL? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/url-shortcut/69caf9fd-eb33-4320-8bd4-10f73cb13790
  9. Edge: Drag Web Page Shortcut?

in Browsers and Email
    Edge: Drag Web Page Shortcut?: One of the things I use a lot with Internet Explorer is dragging a shortcut from the address bar to the Desktop (actually shift-dragging, or it makes a silly .website shortcut). How can I do this in Edge? 9525
  10. Internet Shortcut - Internet Explorer .URL causes explorer crash/hang

in Windows 10 Support
    Internet Shortcut - Internet Explorer .URL causes explorer crash/hang: I'm on a fresh install Win10Home64Bit, 1709.16299.125. This occurs the instant I get to the desktop after installation and forever after. Right clicking on an internet shortcut (.URL) in file explorer or on desktop causes explorer to hang and occasionally crash. Occasionally,...