Windows 10: File Explorer crashes when I right click on anything in the left-hand collumn

Discus and support File Explorer crashes when I right click on anything in the left-hand collumn in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Let me first say I have been searching and found this question asked a lot, but am having trouble finding people with a similar operating system... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by His Baldness, Aug 25, 2018.

1. File Explorer crashes when I right click on anything in the left-hand collumn

Let me first say I have been searching and found this question asked a lot, but am having trouble finding people with a similar operating system situation (some people were on windows 8, others had just upgraded from 7 to 10, etc). The questions have also been asked a few years ago. I don't know if any of that makes a difference for the fix, but I want to be sure.

I just built my first desktop this week and installed Windows 10 Home 64 bit on it. Whenever I right-click on anything in the list on the left of the file explorer window, the file explorer window locks up. Then, when I left-click on anything, (Not Responding) appears, the file explorer crashes, and my taskbar disappears and reappears (I think this is windows explorer restarting). Attached is an image of where I am right-clicking.

Thanks

File Explorer crashes when I right click on anything in the left-hand collumn [​IMG]

:)

His Baldness, Aug 25, 2018

2. After installing Office 2016, right clicking on the left hand pane of file explorer causes file explorer to crash.

Running Windows Pro 10 on Dell Vostro 1500.

Hi!

After installing Office 2016, right clicking on the left hand pane of file explorer causes file explorer to crash (every time). I then uninstalled Office 2016, ran Libre Office for a few weeks without this problem occuring, uninstalled Libre Office and reinstalled
    Office 2016 and the problem is occuring again.

Oddly enough, right clicking on files or folders on the right hand pane does not cause the crash. Any ideas? Frustrating because for example, I can't eject USB drives from windows explorer, and I also wonder what other problems might be lurking under the
    surface, caused by the same issue!

Thanks in advance!

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Performance & system failures / PC

inevitablylaughing, Aug 25, 2018
  3. H0logram Win User
    win10 file explorer crashes with right click

Thank you for this suggestion, I have tried both of these and still have the issue where if I right click on a directory on the left side of file explorer it crashes and closed the screen. Any other suggestions??

Thank you

H0logram, Aug 25, 2018
  4. File Explorer crashes when I right click on anything in the left-hand collumn

Left handed mouse when docked and right handed touchpad when undocked

Hi,

I realize that you want the left handed mouse when docked and right handed touchpad when undocked. I will try to help you with this issue.

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    You can configure the mouse settings for left hand and set the touchpad for normal use.

Follow these steps to configure the mouse settings:

• Press Windows key + I to get the Settings screen.

• Click on Devices and then click on Mouse and Touchpad.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

Srimadhwa B, Aug 25, 2018
Thema:

File Explorer crashes when I right click on anything in the left-hand collumn

1. File Explorer crashes when I right click on anything in the left-hand collumn - Similar Threads - File Explorer crashes

2. file explorer crashes when i right click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    file explorer crashes when i right click: When I right click on a drive in file explorer it closes all windows. Its very annoying. I would prefer to go back to windows 10 right click as a lot of the things i do now require me to do the extra step of right clicking and then going to more options....
  3. file explorer crashes when i right click

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file explorer crashes when i right click: When I right click on a drive in file explorer it closes all windows. Its very annoying. I would prefer to go back to windows 10 right click as a lot of the things i do now require me to do the extra step of right clicking and then going to more options....
  4. File Explorer crashes when I right click

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer crashes when I right click: Hello,Everytime I rightclick a document in the File Explorer is crashes the program and soft resets my laptop. Its fine when I click a file. I have had this for a while now, even before Windows 11 was out and, as fa as I know, it isn't because of a virus. I haven't downloaded...
  5. File Explorer crashes when I right click

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer crashes when I right click: Hello,Everytime I rightclick a document in the File Explorer is crashes the program and soft resets my laptop. Its fine when I click a file. I have had this for a while now, even before Windows 11 was out and, as fa as I know, it isn't because of a virus. I haven't downloaded...
  6. File Explorer crashes when I right click

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. File Explorer Crashes When Right Clicking

File Explorer Crashes When Right Clicking: Long story short, whenever I try to rick click a file, File Explorer crashes. This doesn't happen with folders, and it doesn't happen on the desktop. File Explorer also crashes when I try to move a file by dragging it, and it also sometimes crashes when I go into a folder,...
  8. When I right click on the left side of file explorer explorer closes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    When I right click on the left side of file explorer explorer closes: When ever i try to open the context menu on the left side oft the explorer window(where i can see all my drives) explorer closes however when i right click on the right side everything is ok from event viewer i can see that the problem is shell32.dll this is the error log...
  9. Windows Explorer Crash when right click on anything!

Windows Explorer Crash when right click on anything!: Please help I'm having a big problem every time I right click on any file or folder Windows Explorer Crashes this started for no reason if someone can help me it would be great....
  10. file explorer crashes when i right click

in Windows 10 Support
    file explorer crashes when i right click: This is the first issue i have had with windows 10 ever since installing it in august. Ever since yesterday whenever i click on a file in the file explorer window it will gray out and stop working. Unlike the average hang this one will stay grayed out for about 5 to 10...