Windows 10: File Explorer crashing when trying to rename folders

Discus and support File Explorer crashing when trying to rename folders in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; First off. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum *Redface So I have had Windows 10 for a couple of months now, and have never had any issues up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by StarrLorde, Oct 18, 2015.

1. File Explorer crashing when trying to rename folders

First off. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum *Redface

So I have had Windows 10 for a couple of months now, and have never had any issues up until now.
    Whenever I try to rename a folder/ add new folder file explorer freezes as soon as i touch the keyboard.
    I've scoured the internet for solutions but have had no success *Sad it's getting extremely frustrating as I can't keep having
    New Folder...New Folder 1...New Folder 2 etc. forever haha.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Cheers.

PS. I've been looking into my keyboard and if the drivers are all working correctly. I have a Razer DeathStalker Ultimate. all drivers are up to date with Razer Synapse.

:)

StarrLorde, Oct 18, 2015
  2. Keatoboy Win User

File Explorer crashes when creating new folders

Hi,

Neither of these fixes works. I can also tell you that when I click the 'New Folder' short cut button, I can create it without File Explorer crashing if I leave the name as 'New Folder'. However if I give it a name whilst creating the folder or try renaming
    it after creating the folder, File Explorer still crashes.

Kind Regards

Keatoboy, Oct 18, 2015
  3. Windows 10 file explorer problems.

The problem was solved for me by using CTRL+Shift+n to create a new folder which shows up with NEW FOLDER highlighted in blue but does allow you to type in a new name. To rename an existing folder, I found using F2 would allow me to rename the folder.....don't
    know why this will work when the old way of selecting create a new folder in File Explorer will create a New Folder but won't let you change the New Folder name and also crashes the File Explorer and does the same thing when trying to rename an existing folder..

crjonesxyz, Oct 18, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

File Explorer crashing when trying to rename folders

File Explorer is a Windows core file and does lots of background processing. If it hangs/crashes/lags etc... and the cause might be some incompatitble Shell Extensions that were installed by third party softwares.

Try: Right Click on Desktop take long time to show up - Windows 10 Forums

If it still does not work, try to run from Admin Command Prompt: chkdsk C: /r

topgundcp, Oct 18, 2015
  5. Thank you so much!! Turns out there was something funny going on with some Winrar shell extentions.
    You are an absolute life saver.
    I used ShellExView and used process of elimination until I found the cause.

Thanks again

StarrLorde, Oct 18, 2015
  6. topgundcp Win User
    Great. Glad you got it sorted.

topgundcp, Oct 18, 2015
  7. DeanoV6 Win User
    Extra thanks all round as I had exactly the same problem and it was WinRAR too. Disabled the shell integration on WinRAR and everything is fine now *Smile

DeanoV6, Sep 21, 2016
  8. File Explorer crashing when trying to rename folders

Thank you. Removing the winrar shell integration did the trick. *chuckle

amtojsingh88, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

File Explorer crashing when trying to rename folders

1. File Explorer crashing when trying to rename folders - Similar Threads - File Explorer crashing

2. renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list: I have the same issue as one shown beforeIn W11 File explorer, when I select a folder in the list on the left and right click and select the More Options and click on Rename, the highlighted folder to be renamed, does one of two things, it either 1 - jumps to another folder,...
  3. renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    renaming a folder in the file explorer folder list: I have the same issue as one shown beforeIn W11 File explorer, when I select a folder in the list on the left and right click and select the More Options and click on Rename, the highlighted folder to be renamed, does one of two things, it either 1 - jumps to another folder,...
  4. File Explorer: System Folders Rename

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer: System Folders Rename: Hello,Can someone help me how to remove this folder, it was "downloads" but it changed to "music".How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-system-folders-rename/6865b745-746d-4a69-9ae7-782d2906c01e
  5. File Explorer: System Folders Rename

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer: System Folders Rename: Hello,Can someone help me how to remove this folder, it was "downloads" but it changed to "music".How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-system-folders-rename/6865b745-746d-4a69-9ae7-782d2906c01e
  6. File Explorer: System Folders Rename

7. Windows Explorer crashing when adding, removing or renaming files and folders

Windows Explorer crashing when adding, removing or renaming files and folders: Hello,I have windows 11, windows explorer is lagging and crashing when I download a file or creating a folder or removing/ renaming file/folder, but when windows explorer is lagging I can open the browser or continue the work I was doing.What the problem here? and how I can...
  8. Windows Explorer crashing when adding, removing or renaming files and folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer crashing when adding, removing or renaming files and folders: Hello,I have windows 11, windows explorer is lagging and crashing when I download a file or creating a folder or removing/ renaming file/folder, but when windows explorer is lagging I can open the browser or continue the work I was doing.What the problem here? and how I can...
  9. File Explorer Hanging or Crashing When Creating/Renaming Folders on RDP

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer Hanging or Crashing When Creating/Renaming Folders on RDP: I'm a lazy person and I RDP from my home desktop to my work laptop. This is all happening on the same LAN. I believe ever since I was updated to version 2004, anytime I create a new folder or rename a folder, File Explorer either hangs for 5-10 seconds or crashes and...
  10. Sometimes File Explorer Freezes When Renaming A Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Sometimes File Explorer Freezes When Renaming A Folder: Hello, I noticed on very rare occasions (only on one hard drive) that when I create a new folder, give it a name and press enter, File Explorer freezes for about 30-40 seconds until it creates that name for the folder. I've tried to rename that same exact folder right after...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. explorer appcrash rename folder

2. file explorer freezes when renaming

3. renaming zip file crashes explorer

4. windows explorer freezes when renaming a folder or sending something to the recycle bin,
  5. eplorer crashes on renaming folder,
  6. file explorer crash renaming,
  7. file explorer crashes when renaming,
  8. windows crashes when renaming folder 2019,
  9. file explorer rename issues,
  10. file explorer takes too long to rename a folder,
  11. file explorer freezes when trying to rename file,
  12. when I try to rename a Word file stored on the iCloud windows explorer freezes,
  13. windows explorer crashes when trying to rename files