Windows 10: file explorer disappears

Discus and support file explorer disappears in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Goodmorning everyone, I have a problem at the office and I hope you can help me fix it or tell me it's a windows 10 bug or something *Smile We have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by efriggen, Feb 22, 2017.

1. efriggen Win User

file explorer disappears

Goodmorning everyone,

I have a problem at the office and I hope you can help me fix it or tell me it's a windows 10 bug or something *Smile
    We have several users that have documents on a network share with a very long UNC pad.
    When they open the document, the document opens without any problem, but in the background the file explorer just disappears without an error or anything.
    And when they want to open a new file explorer, it opens and closes immediately, I think because the long UNC path is in the quick access.
    When I clear the quick access cache, it works fine again, untill they open a file on that network share again.
    Does anyone else know something about this problem?
    Hope you can help me.

:)

efriggen, Feb 22, 2017

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Feb 22, 2017
  3. File Explorer/Quick Access

Hi William,

This is quite unusual. If the files suddenly disappears from the File Explorer, then it could be that files are hidden. Now, before we get into the solution, may we know first what are the changes on your computer? Also, have you tried searching for the
    certain files after it disappeared from the File Explorer?

Your reply will be much appreciated.

Marque Lor, Feb 22, 2017
  4. Fafhrd Win User

file explorer disappears

Long paths are still a problem. It's documented, so not a bug so much as a limitation.

However, long UNC paths are your responsibility, or that of your sysadmin.

On the server, you could use a short alias for the long UNC path perhaps? If you have:

\\Verybigfileservername\foldername\long_foldername\impdocs\files\rhubarb\gobbledygook\legal\

create a new share on the folder \legal with a short name legdoc thus becomes:

\\Verybigfileservername\legdoc\

when accessed across the network

Use an even shorter short alias for the UNC path?

On the user machines:

get the IPv4 address of \\Verybigfileservername

from command prompt admin>

ping verybigfileservername -4

copy the IPv4 address - e.g. 192.168.1.77

In the windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file with notepad, append your server IPv4address with a short alias (e.g. Srv1) after

127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.1.77 Srv1

and save the hosts file

now your UNC path becomes

\\Srv1\legdoc\

That's a somewhat flippant example - instead you may wish to replace Srv1 with a more meaningful short name to represent the path.

Fafhrd, Feb 22, 2017
Thema:

file explorer disappears

1. file explorer disappears - Similar Threads - file explorer disappears

2. Quick Access Items Disappear in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Quick Access Items Disappear in File Explorer: In Windows 11 Pro, several times since mid-November, all of my Quick Access items in File Explorer have completely disappeared after reboot, with only the default items remaining ie. Desktop, Downloads, Documents, Pictures.This is maddening. All updates applied. Anyone else...
  3. Length Disappears in File Explorer Search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Length Disappears in File Explorer Search: Hi there... a problem just developed a couple of days ago with only one of my external drives where the length time of the file no longer shows when I run a Search by name, although I can still see the length of the same file once I get out of the Search and return the normal...
  4. Scans File Disappeared in File Explorer

Scans File Disappeared in File Explorer: I have Windows 10 on an HP Spectre 360 laptop. I used to have a "Sans" file in File Explorer Quick Access, which disappeared recently. How do I access scans from my zip drive?...
  5. File Explorer Window disappears

File Explorer Window disappears: When I open File Explorer and browse to a specific folder, after a few minutes the window automatically closes. It makes it very difficult to stay working in a particular location. How to I make Windows keep the tab(s) open?...
  6. Optical Drive Disappears from File Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Optical Drive Disappears from File Explorer: After much procrastination on upgrading a perfectly good Windows 7 operating system, I took the leap and successfully upgrading to Windows 10 over Two months ago. After completing the upgrade, I though wow what a great product. All of the installed drives, devices etc. were...
  7. File Explorer Disappearance

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Disappearance: Good Day, Background info is that I took the plunge and put an SSD in my computer. Since it has been a long time, I decided to go for a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. Using the media creation tool I obtained a Windows 10 Pro N in 64 bit and installed it. Do not know if it...
  8. Thumbnails disappear in File Explorer, then Explorer freezes

in Windows 10 Support
    Thumbnails disappear in File Explorer, then Explorer freezes: Hello, I noticed yesterday that after using File Explorer for a short while, it stops showing any thumbnails, and only shows a plain white icon, not even the default icon for a file type. I tried all the usual methods for showing thumbnails, but to no avail. Then, after...
  9. What kind of files are these? They appear and disappear in Explorer

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What kind of files are these? They appear and disappear in Explorer: 10C1C64FFDSC69827ABF b7f63cc5ba627ee9391 Note the former is all caps while the later only lower case letters. Their locations in File Explorer seems to change a lot and they don't open. I made up these numbers because when I went to find them, I couldn't and don't know...
  10. File Explorer icon disappears from Taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer icon disappears from Taskbar: I just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 yesterday and overall I've been happy with it. However, I note one strange behavior: the File Explorer icon seems to disappear sometimes from the Taskbar. I created a Desktop shortcut for File Explorer, but when I right click on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows explorer disappears after searching any file