Windows 10: File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info for Certain Folders

Discus and support File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info for Certain Folders in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi! This is my first thread post. I'm very concerned about this problem which I know little about. I am an avid mp3 collector and massively download... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by wrecklesstechn0, Jun 1, 2018.

1. File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info for Certain Folders

Hi! This is my first thread post.

I'm very concerned about this problem which I know little about. I am an avid mp3 collector and massively download files onto a 4TB external drive. The last time I checked a folder's properties to see how many files it contained, it read "140" when I knew there were over 15,000 files in there.

It does the same thing for all of the other folders (subgenres) within the main folder (electronic music). Other folders located in the same folder as my (electronic music) folder have been unaffected, and I'm thinking it is because I have not accessed them as recently as the (electronic music) folder. So something happened today or in the last couple days - all I've done is download music from SoulSeek as I've done for years, and sort it into folders on my external drive using File Explorer.

I was about to backup my files from this hard drive onto another drive - but now I'm afraid that if there is corruption, it could spread onto the other drive. I want to find a solution first before I make a horrible mistake, as I've been known to do because I'm often very technologically reckless and naive.

That's it in a nutshell - please help! Thank you.

:)

wrecklesstechn0, Jun 1, 2018
  2. Bree Win User

File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info for Certain Folders

Welcome to TenForums @wrecklesstechn0

The thing you have to remember about File Explorer is that it will only list in Properties the files and folders you have permission for. You can easily demonstrate this if you have more than one user account on your PC. Look in C:\Users at the properties of the user folder for another user account, it will say 0 files.

I suspect that over time you have added to this collection from a number of different accounts and/or using a number of different PCs. It's most likely to be the permissions, but if you want to be sure there's no corruption then open a Command Prompt (Admin) and run (using the appropriate drive letter instead of 'G:') the command;
    CHKDSK /F G:

(on a 4TB drive it may take a while to run)

3. File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info for Certain Folders

Hi! This is my first thread post.

I'm very concerned about this problem which I know little about. I am an avid mp3 collector and massively download files onto a 4TB external drive. The last time I checked a folder's properties to see how many files it contained, it read "140" when I knew there were over 15,000 files in there.

It does the same thing for all of the other folders (subgenres) within the main folder (electronic music). Other folders located in the same folder as my (electronic music) folder have been unaffected, and I'm thinking it is because I have not accessed them as recently as the (electronic music) folder. So something happened today or in the last couple days - all I've done is download music from SoulSeek as I've done for years, and sort it into folders on my external drive using File Explorer.

I was about to backup my files from this hard drive onto another drive - but now I'm afraid that if there is corruption, it could spread onto the other drive. I want to find a solution first before I make a horrible mistake, as I've been known to do because I'm often very technologically reckless and naive.

That's it in a nutshell - please help! Thank you.

wrecklesstechn0, Jun 25, 2018
  4. File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info for Certain Folders

Thanks for the reply Bree.

There is not more than one user account on my PC. In the folder "Users" there is my main account with my registered username, and a folder named "Public". Public contains 25 files and my folder contains over 12,000.

I have been using my 4TB drive (external drive #1) with this computer only for about 3 months, and the problem started just a couple days ago. I have only ever used this hard drive with one other computer, and originally all of the files on it came from an older hard drive (external drive #0).

I plugged in my other 4TB hard drive (external drive #2) to check the properties of the same folders, and sure enough, there was the same problem, so I figured it must be a problem with File Explorer, not the drive, which, for now, is a relief, as long as the problem doesn't get worse or irreversible.

About the CHKDSK /F G: I tried doing as you said, and the prompt asked me if I wanted to "Dismount Volume" of the drive (external drive #1) in order to proceed. I looked in to this using web search and found no information exactly pertinent to my specific situation and so I refuse to proceed on my own.

Having said all of that, do you have any further ideas about both:
    A. User Permissions
    B. Check Disk

wrecklesstechn0, Jun 25, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info for Certain Folders - Similar Threads - File Explorer Displaying

2. File explorer not displaying complete path for certain folders on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer not displaying complete path for certain folders on Windows 11: I want to copy the file path of the download folder from the file explorer address bar. But even though I enabled the option to show the full path, there are a few folders that it refuses to show the full path for. If I go to a random local file I get something like this in...
  3. File explorer not displaying complete path for certain folders on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer not displaying complete path for certain folders on Windows 11: I want to copy the file path of the download folder from the file explorer address bar. But even though I enabled the option to show the full path, there are a few folders that it refuses to show the full path for. If I go to a random local file I get something like this in...
  4. File Explorer Properties are indicating wrong information

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer Properties are indicating wrong information: let me try my best to accurately explain the situation from my layman’s perspective, meaning, I am no computer expert and know enough to be a danger to myself. Also, I will try to be descripted as I can, however, I encourage you to analyze the entire post; as there may be...
  5. File Explorer Properties are indicating wrong information

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Properties are indicating wrong information: let me try my best to accurately explain the situation from my layman’s perspective, meaning, I am no computer expert and know enough to be a danger to myself. Also, I will try to be descripted as I can, however, I encourage you to analyze the entire post; as there may be...
  6. How to eliminate the default graphical display of properties info in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to eliminate the default graphical display of properties info in File Explorer: File Explorer shows the properties of the file or folder within which it is working at the right side of the display. I believe this started showing up after a recent Windows update. For me, this adds no value to the display and only serves to take up space. It's essentially...
  7. explorer crashes when trying to display folder properties

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    explorer crashes when trying to display folder properties: Dear all, explorer does NOT crash when displaying file properties contrary to folder property display there are 2 errors generated: Event ID 1026 Application: explorer.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled...
  8. File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info: Hi! This is my first thread post. I'm very concerned about this problem which I know little about. I am an avid mp3 collector and massively download files onto a 4TB external drive. The last time I checked a folder's properties to see how many files it contained, it read...
  9. Setting folder and sub-folders properties in file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting folder and sub-folders properties in file explorer: Hello, In the file explorer I have folders with pictures, music and videos. Each type is stores in a separate main folder and under it subfolders. In the main folder properties I customize it what columns I want to see, then I click to set the same to all subfolders, click...
  10. File explorer view file/folder properties

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer view file/folder properties: So I want all folders and files to view as "large icons"(I'm doing all of this in File Explorer) I went to C: drive, and clicked on large icons so folders and files display as such >Folder options>click on the view tab> then Apply to Folders [img] Folders and files...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. server 2019 windows file explorer wrong file properties