File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info

Discus and support File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi! This is my first thread post. I'm very concerned about this problem which I know little about. I am an avid mp3 collector and massively download... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wrecklesstechn0, Jun 1, 2018.

1. wrecklesstechn0 Win User

Hi! This is my first thread post.

I'm very concerned about this problem which I know little about. I am an avid mp3 collector and massively download files onto a 4TB external drive. The last time I checked a folder's properties to see how many files it contained, it read "140" when I knew there were over 15,000 files in there.

It does the same thing for all of the other folders (subgenres) within the main folder (electronic music). Other folders located in the same folder as my (electronic music) folder have been unaffected, and I'm thinking it is because I have not accessed them as recently as the (electronic music) folder. So something happened today or in the last couple days - all I've done is download music from SoulSeek as I've done for years, and sort it into folders on my external drive using File Explorer.

I was about to backup my files from this hard drive onto another drive - but now I'm afraid that if there is corruption, it could spread onto the other drive. I want to find a solution first before I make a horrible mistake, as I've been known to do because I'm often very technologically reckless and naive.

That's it in a nutshell - please help! Thank you.

:)

wrecklesstechn0, Jun 1, 2018
  2. Bree Win User

File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info for Certain Folders

Welcome to TenForums @wrecklesstechn0

The thing you have to remember about File Explorer is that it will only list in Properties the files and folders you have permission for. You can easily demonstrate this if you have more than one user account on your PC. Look in C:\Users at the properties of the user folder for another user account, it will say 0 files.

I suspect that over time you have added to this collection from a number of different accounts and/or using a number of different PCs. It's most likely to be the permissions, but if you want to be sure there's no corruption then open a Command Prompt (Admin) and run (using the appropriate drive letter instead of 'G:') the command;
    CHKDSK /F G:

(on a 4TB drive it may take a while to run)

3. OCjp Win User
    Windows Explorer/file Properties Details not displaying tags

I'm trying to tag documents so they can be found easily but I don't have the option to add a tag to a file. The Details panel in my Windows Explorer does not display tags in the list of properties. Also, when I right-click a file, go to Properties and then click the Details tab, tags are not listed there either.

Is there a way to turn this feature on? Thanks in advance for any help.

4. WirelessValve Win User

Displaying the Comments Property for FLAC files

Is there something special about a FLAC file that prevents Windows 10 File Explorer from displaying the contents of the Comments Property?

I am using the Comments Property field to log the catalogue numbers of my digitised record collection. When I view MP3 files with File Explorer, it displays the contents of the comments field along with the title, artist, track no, etc. However, if I convert
    the files to FLAC format, the properties remain except for the comments that now appear blank. But, if I convert the files back to MP3 then the comments reappear. So it seems that the Comments Property data is saved but File Explorer is unable to display it.

Do I have File Explorer installed and set up correctly?

Is there a problem with File Explorer itself?

Any advice gratefully received.

Mark

WirelessValve, Jun 25, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer Displaying Wrong Properties Info - Similar Threads - File Explorer Displaying

2. Multiple instances of Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple instances of Windows Explorer: Opened up task manager and saw that in the Processes tab, there were 41 instances of Windows Explorer running. I open WE frequently but only one or two at the same time and didn't have any open at that time. And it's not just a temporary thing, I have been checking...
  3. Screen display size

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen display size: How do I change the size of my screen display. I have a monitor inside a cabinet but the cabinet isn't wide enough for the screen so most of the icons on the left side are hidden. I need to make the display narrower. Thanks....
  4. How can I open an .obj file in Blender

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I open an .obj file in Blender: I have unintentionally set up opening .obj file by Microsoft Paint as default, but I want to use Blender for this purpose. How can I change it back so I could import the file in Blender on win7...
  5. Windows script host error, can not find script file .

Windows script host error, can not find script file .: This window pop ups periodically after some interval. [ATTACH] I cant find any solution in web , please help me to resolve this issue....
  6. Default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default apps by file type: Hello, Most of my programs are not installed in the system, they are what called 'portables'. They are unzipped into a folder (not on "C"), made a shortcut on the desktop and it works fine for me. In the control panel I want to set "Default apps by file type", but when I...
  7. Windows 10 File deletion needs System Administrator Permission

Windows 10 File deletion needs System Administrator Permission: I am the sole user of my computer. I cannot delete a file (or file folder) as to do so needs System Administrator Permission. I am the Administrator. How to I fix this?...
  8. Windows 10 File History Backup has no progress bar

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 File History Backup has no progress bar: This issue was raised 2 years ago, and yet nothing has been done about it. How can you have a utility meant to copy literally every single file on a hard drive, and not provide a way to track that progress, and make sure it's not stalled?...
  9. Default apps by file type

in Windows 10 Support
    Default apps by file type: Hello, Most of my programs are not installed in the system, they are what called 'portables'. They are unzipped into a folder (not on "C"), made a shortcut on the desktop and it works fine for me. In the control panel I want to set "Default apps by file type", but when I...
  10. Offline Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Offline Files: Hello, I'm trying to find out if it is possible to have an offline file (application executable) make a network connection to an MS SQL Server? The scenario is this: A networked application server folder has been configured to be available offline so my understanding is...