Windows 10: File Explorer does not display embedded album art in FLAC files

Discus and support File Explorer does not display embedded album art in FLAC files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I do remember clearly that in Windows 8.1, I was able to see embedded album art in FLAC files in File (Windows) Explorer. But after Windows 10 got... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by krafty, Aug 10, 2017.

1. krafty Win User

File Explorer does not display embedded album art in FLAC files

I do remember clearly that in Windows 8.1, I was able to see embedded album art in FLAC files in File (Windows) Explorer. But after Windows 10 got here, this stopped. I can only see them in MP3 files. Did something happen to this functionality? Can anyone confirm this (or deny?).

Thanks.

:)

krafty, Aug 10, 2017
  2. Geoffc1 Win User

Groove Album Artwork

There's a setting in Groove for Media Info; when it's turned on (and I think it is by default), Groove will automatically retrieve and update missing album art and metadata.

Unfortunately, as you've discovered, Microsoft's online source of metadata is of poor quality, and will introduce errors into your carefully curated metadata.

If you value your sanity, turn this setting off!

However, the next issue that you will probably run into is that Groove does not retrieve all the embedded data from FLAC files (it does a better job with MP3 files). This issue has been reported to Microsoft, but until (and if) they fix it, then Groove will
    NOT display your album art embedded in FLAC files.

Groove has a long way to go before it is a useful app.

Geoffc1, Aug 10, 2017
  3. Ramesh Srinivasan, Aug 10, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

File Explorer does not display embedded album art in FLAC files [​IMG]

like this in the preview pane?

dalchina, Aug 10, 2017
  5. krafty Win User
    No, I mean this way:

FLAC is like this:

MP3 works like this:

krafty, Aug 11, 2017
  6. pepanee Win User
    Right click on a FLAC file > Open with... > Select the same program that the mp3s open with > then CHECK Always use this app to open FLAC files. See if that fixes it.

pepanee, Aug 11, 2017
  7. krafty Win User
    No. That doesn't fix. Notice that foobar2000 is already the selected program to open either MP3 or FLAC. In the case of FLAC, it shows only the native icon (orange). In the case of MP3, it reads the embedded album art in the tag and also places a small tiny icon from the foobar2000 application. Problem that puzzles me is that in Windows 8.1, FLAC was just like MP3, getting the embedded art shown.

krafty, Aug 11, 2017
  8. pepanee Win User

Go to foobar2000's settings. See if the album art is disabled for FLAC files.

Last case resort: You can uninstall foobar2000, then re-install it.

pepanee, Aug 11, 2017
  9. krafty Win User
    Album art has never been disabled for any kind of file. So no point there.
    Uninstalled and reinstalled. Problem persists.
    I think this is a bug involving foobar2000 and Windows 10.

krafty, Aug 11, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Thank you for your reply. A screenshot often helps.
    You may find the free program Icaros shown here of interest. That should solve the problem.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer does not display embedded album art in FLAC files - Similar Threads - File Explorer does

2. Specific MP3 will not show album art in Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Specific MP3 will not show album art in Explorer: I downloaded some music to play on Spotify, and for some reason, this one song will just not work right. It worked the first time I downloaded it, but I've since downloaded it from a different source, and it won't display the art in Explorer image one or Spotify. It won't...
  3. Find file location of music album's cover art

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Find file location of music album's cover art: I have a music album that I downloaded and am playing it through windows media player on Windows 11. I can see the cover art of it when playing the songs. However, I would like to be able to find this image's file location so that I can use it elsewhere. I've looked through...
  4. Paste Album Art Does Not appear as an Option. How to add Album Art?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Paste Album Art Does Not appear as an Option. How to add Album Art?: Hello, how can one add album art using WMP? The "Paste Album Art" does not appear as an option when right clicking on an album. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/paste-album-art-does-not-appear-as-an-option-how/8701ff6d-4a6b-4757-a3ae-7f64d347c445
  5. Paste Album Art Does Not appear as an Option. How to add Album Art?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Paste Album Art Does Not appear as an Option. How to add Album Art?: Hello, how can one add album art using WMP? The "Paste Album Art" does not appear as an option when right clicking on an album. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/paste-album-art-does-not-appear-as-an-option-how/8701ff6d-4a6b-4757-a3ae-7f64d347c445
  6. Paste Album Art Does Not appear as an Option. How to add Album Art?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. How to Hardcode Album Art into a File?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to Hardcode Album Art into a File?: I've been trying everything I can think of to try to get my album art to show up properly on my phone (Galaxy S9) since the app I was using stopped working. I thought maybe it's better to try to hardcode the album art into the file on my PC and then upload it to my phone...
  8. How to show album art work on Windows 10 Explorer files?

How to show album art work on Windows 10 Explorer files?: The embedded art work in my music files shows on Windows Media Player, Groove, Nero, etc. But it does not show in Windows Explorer where originals are stored. I copy files from Explorer to my FLAC player, so would really help to have the art work showing in Explorer so it...
  9. Window 10 File Explorer cannot properly display the metadata for FLAC files

Window 10 File Explorer cannot properly display the metadata for FLAC files: Window 10 File Explorer seems not able to display the metadata (e.g., Title, Contributing Artist, Album Artist, Album, etc.) of some FLAC files, the contents get truncated, blanked out, or replaced with other funny character. I can see the problematic metadata are populated...
  10. Does Win10 display small embedded art thumbnails for mp3 files?

in Windows 10 Support
    Does Win10 display small embedded art thumbnails for mp3 files?: For some reason the embedded art only appears with these views: Extra large icons Large icons Medium icons Tiles Content With the other views, a small icon of the default player is displayed. Is it possible for explorer to display small embedded art fot these other...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. show album art in windows explorer