Windows 10: File Explorer Drag and Drop doesn't work

Discus and support File Explorer Drag and Drop doesn't work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, when I try to drag and drop a file using file explorer, it shows a red "unavailable" icon. I also haven't found a way to disable the annoying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Aomat, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Aomat Win User

File Explorer Drag and Drop doesn't work

Hello,

when I try to drag and drop a file using file explorer, it shows a red "unavailable" icon. I also haven't found a way to disable the annoying time and date text at the bottom left of the lock screen (which was easily done in Windows 8.1 as documented on eightforums).

I've attached pictures of both personal nuisances. File Explorer Drag and Drop doesn't work :)

Thanks!

EDIT: The drag and drop problem is fixed by re-enabling Quick Access, see Brink's guide here. Lock screen remains an annoyance, though.

:)

Aomat, Sep 30, 2016

2. unable to drag and drop files into website on Internet Explorer 11

Original title: Drag & Drop

I am using IE 11 on Windows 10 and use a couple web based applications that require uploading PDF documents. Most use drag & drop in addition to browsing for files. I prefer to use drag & drop, but it doesn't seem to be working in IE 11. It works in Chrome,
    so I believe it is a IE 11 issue, rather than Windows. Is there a setting I need to change in order to allow me to drag & drop files from File Explorer to the IE web pages?

Cristy de Garay, Sep 30, 2016
  3. Computer freezes when trying to drag and drop

My problem seems to be specific to certain files. Whenever I go into a folder and try to drag and drop and mp3 file (pictures and applications don't work either), File Explorer stops responding and my screen goes black for a few seconds, and everything
    shows up again. Even merely clicking the file makes File Explorer stop responding. I have tried to fix the problem, but none of the solutions I found worked (the solution where you press esc+try to drag and drop doesn't work by the way). I have lots of files
    on my computer that I no longer have the ability to access, so any advice will be greatly appreciated. File Explorer Drag and Drop doesn't work :)

Rahul Prasher, Sep 30, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Date & time: MS comment which you may have seen:
    How to remove windows 10 lock screen clock and date - Microsoft Community

You could consider eliminating the lock screen (there are different ones).

The red icon shown is perfectly reasonable there. What do you see if you drag that into the right pane as shown? You should get a warning message when you release the mouse.

dalchina, Sep 30, 2016
  5. Aomat Win User
    Thanks for the response.

I indeed have seen that thread, but I imagined that such modifications are only a regedit hack away -- it has just not been found perhaps.

I cannot imagine it being reasonable, I should be able to drag using the left pane into any folder I choose. This was functional in previous Windows.

Aomat, Sep 30, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    To be exact, it's not allowing you copy the folder into itself. You can into any other in the navigation pane.

Look at the message you get if you try to drop Mettu from the navigation pane into Mettu in the right pane.

dalchina, Sep 30, 2016
  7. Aomat Win User
    I am not copying a folder into itself, but a folder from the desktop into downloads. From left to right works as it should. No problem though, I had disabled quick access via registry earlier and enabling it solved my problem. Thanks for the help.

Aomat, Sep 30, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Ah, I see. I made an assumption about that. Sorry. And I couldn't have guessed the answer. Glad you recalled what you'd done.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer Drag and Drop doesn't work - Similar Threads - File Explorer Drag

2. drag and drop windows 10 doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    drag and drop windows 10 doesn't work: On Windows 10, the drag and drop doesn't work. I have tried a method using the Esc key and still not working, and all the drivers seem fine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop-windows-10-doesnt-work/d78f9a41-9277-4025-8047-67cbfa36bf6a
  3. drag and drop windows 10 doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    drag and drop windows 10 doesn't work: On Windows 10, the drag and drop doesn't work. I have tried a method using the Esc key and still not working, and all the drivers seem fine. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop-windows-10-doesnt-work/d78f9a41-9277-4025-8047-67cbfa36bf6a
  4. drag and drop windows 10 doesn't work

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. file explorer drag and drop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer drag and drop: After my last update there is no right pane in the file explorer to drag and drop files. Please advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-drag-and-drop/f2190733-2938-485c-880e-58d172f73f16
  6. Lost Drag and drop ability in File Explorer

Lost Drag and drop ability in File Explorer: Hello, I am trying to get some help from a legit source for this problem. A few weeks ago I noticed that I can no longer Drag & Drop files within File Explorer. I have tried going into Task Manager and then clicking "End Process Tree" and then restarting File Explorer....
  7. move a file w/drag & drop doesn't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    move a file w/drag & drop doesn't work: win 10 update & now I can't move a file w/drag & drop. Instead, the file opens. How to fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-a-file-wdrag-drop-doesnt-work/2d89380f-9e0b-4922-80f2-a8ec3c0b833a
  8. Drag and Drop to move files not working

Drag and Drop to move files not working: Hi, I've recently bought a new laptop with Windows 10 Version 1803 (OS build 17134.407). I was trying to move a folder to another folder. So I did the following: 1. I dragged the folder to be moved with mouse. 2. Pressed Alt+tab to switch to the target folder. 3. The...
  9. Drag and drop files

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag and drop files: [img] when dragging files in win 10 the icon is so big that u can not see where u r dragging to. Is there a way to turn this feature off ? IN THE SCREEN CAPTURE WHEN I DRAG A FILE THIS ICON GOES WITH THE DRAGGING FILE AND MAKE IT HARD TO SEE WHERE YOU ARE DROPPING IT....
  10. Unable to Drag-And-Drop in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Drag-And-Drop in Explorer: I find I'm unable to drag an drop in Explorer. For instance, when I want to extract a file from a zip file I drag to the folder and drop it but it doesn't get placed in the folder. This occurs with any drag and drop procedure. I am however able to copy and paste....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. internet explorer drag drop file doesn work

2. drag and drop doesnt work in file explorer

3. drag and drop files in explorer doesnt work