Windows 10: File Explorer extremely slow and unstable.

Discus and support File Explorer extremely slow and unstable. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I just took part in the Windows 10 Insider Preview a couple of days ago, and I have to say, Windows 10 is a great step up from Windows 8, they did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JusMyBASSCannon, Jun 12, 2015.

1. File Explorer extremely slow and unstable.

So I just took part in the Windows 10 Insider Preview a couple of days ago, and I have to say, Windows 10 is a great step up from Windows 8, they did an excellent job so far. There's just one problem: File Explorer is extremely hard to use. Not only does the file explorer freeze all the time (even on folders with almost nothing in them), when it does freeze, it goes back to the top of the folder when it unfreezes.

What I mean is that I can be half-way down a 260-count file folder, like this:

File Explorer extremely slow and unstable. [​IMG]

Then it will freeze, and after it unfreezes, it goes back to the top of the folder, like so:

Doing simple tasks such as moving, copying, renaming, deleting and even scrolling and clicking causes File Explorer to freeze, sometimes even when it's idle!

And what's weirder is that the glitch doesn't happen when your opening a file for a specific program (say you click 'open' in Word and you get the 'Open' dialog box where you can pick a file).

I posted this over to Windows Feedback too, but I don't think it supports user comments, so I'm posting here to see if there's any fix. If there's any fix for this, let me know. It's been annoying me for a while now.

:)

JusMyBASSCannon, Jun 12, 2015

2. Build 10525 Install Failed

After a 30 hour install build 10525 was unstable and extremely slow. I have recently installed build 10532. 10532 installed in less than 2 hours and is performing extremely well.

CharlesPrincell, Jun 12, 2015
  3. Can't rename, move or delete files with windows 10. It is sooo frustrating

NOT helpful at all... The FE keeps flashing back to the 1st file when I am trying to either rename or move a file from any folder. This is VERY frustrating. Hello MICROSOFT!!! - File Explorer in Win10 DOES NOT WORK - it is EXTREMELY unstable and irritating...
    PHOTOS too is quite unstable and many times refuses to open files / photos... Microsoft should be ashamed to launch such a piece of junk onto the market... what a DISAPPOINTMENT!!!

JoséMFFCruz, Jun 12, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

File Explorer extremely slow and unstable.

I actually have the same issue, but in Windows 8.1. It's annoying, I know. But I suspect it's something I have installed that's doing it.

Mystere, Jun 12, 2015
  5. topgundcp Win User
    File explorer is a core file of any version of Windows and does a lot more behind the scene and most of the time the problem is caused by incompatibility of Shell Extension. You might want to take a close look at the applications that you have installed. In addition, if you have NVIDIA card installed, disable its shell extension might cure the problem.

topgundcp, Jun 12, 2015
  6. I removed some applications off of my computer and used ShellExView to disable all of the Shell Extensions that weren't made by Microsoft (just NVIDA didn't work), and I restarted my computer to make sure changes were saved, but File Explorer was still as slow as usual. If it makes any difference, I took a snip of the Shell Extensions I disabled:

JusMyBASSCannon, Jun 12, 2015
  7. micjulian Win User
    micjulian, Sep 27, 2015
  8. Tsakaleft Win User

I have also the same issue

Tsakaleft, Dec 10, 2015
  9. CopierGuy Win User
    I am an Insider guy also; on the 1st system Win 10 took over a Win 7 Pro without full permission; they stated that they wanted to SCHEDULE the install, then said they wanted to do a small update (under 1 meg), but I went away & came back some hrs later to find the install over 1/2 done; I had no chance to back up image!

CopierGuy, Dec 10, 2015
  10. klaslett Win User
    klaslett, Dec 13, 2015
  11. mmssn Win User
    mmssn, Jan 19, 2016
  12. tracie222 Win User
    THANK YOU!!! Simple fix for a VERY annoying problem. Worked for me 100% as well.

Originally Posted by micjulian

Hi everyone,

I found this on the net. It solved it for me. I'll put the link here:
    How to Disable Quick Access in File Explorer on Windows 10
    Hope it will for you too.

Regards,
    Mic

tracie222, Mar 5, 2016
  13. ZTI
    ZTI Win User

Hey man I'm encountering the same issue. Did you solve the problem of File Explorer bouncing back to top? Could you please tell how?

14. Hi I had tried everything I could find online but nothing worked - ccleaner - regedit etc. I downloaded CubicExplorer
    but this application ran just as s-l-o-w-l-y - then I had a brainwave

This WORKED for me on Windows 10

1) Click on Search bar and type in Run
    2) Click on Run Desktop App
    3) In the box that appears at the bottom left of the screen type in eventvwr and press OK
    4) On the left of the screen click onto Event Viewer (Local)
    5) Click onto Windows Logs
    6) Then Application
    7) In the Application box showing the number of applications logged, you will see one or more
    events with errors on them – this means we are on the right track – if not this won’t fix your
    problem and I’m sorry for getting your hopes up
    8) On the right click onto Clear log…
    9) Open File Explorer and wait until it opens or says not responding then close again
    10) Go back to Event Viewer and refresh by clicking onto Event Viewer (Local) then back to Windows Logs
    11) There should only be a few entries in the Event Viewer Log – click onto the first entry with error against it and in the
    Details box under the General tab - it should tell you which program ( mine said DTShellHlp.exe was not working properly –
    I had no clue what it was so I Googled it and found it was linked to Daemon Tools
    12) Delete the application ( in this case Daemon Tools ) click Start - Settings - System - Apps and Features -
    Uninstall it then told me it was attached to File Explorer and to close that app before continuing – that’s
    when I started smiling
    I finished uninstalling Daemon Tools
    Opened File Explorer – and it worked beautifully
    Incidentally, when I re-installed Daemon Tools there was a tick box that said Link with File Explorer – I
    unchecked it now both applications work fine

Hope this helps – sorry for the dumbing down of the explanation but I know if it was me looking up how
    to do something I’d rather it was simple

alfienoakes, Mar 12, 2016
  15. vjacobie Win User
    Hey there everyone,

I was struggling with this particular issue since installation of Windows 10. A number of my folders took forever to sort by Date, size or anything except the standard Windows Explorer Display.
    Luckily, there is an exact solution that works like a charm!!
    Step 1: Open Explorer
    Step 2: Go to the folder that you have issues with (but don't go into the folder)
    Step 3: Right click on the folder, and select Properties
    Step 4: Click on the "Customize" tab
    Step 5: Under the "Optimize this folder for:" drop down, change this to "General Items"
    Step 6: Tick the box that says include subfolders
    Step 7: Click Apply and OK
    Step 8: Done, move on to your next problem folder and repeat *Smile

vjacobie, Jun 20, 2016
Thema:

1. File Explorer extremely slow and unstable. - Similar Threads - File Explorer extremely

2. Files explorer extremely slow to load..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files explorer extremely slow to load..: The files explorer in my brand new Windows Surface laptop is extremely slow to load. Each time I click on the files explorer icon in the task bar at the bottom, it takes several seconds and on occasions up to a minute to load. This is not a folder-specific problem as this...
  3. Extremely Unstable file explorer after big file move

Extremely Unstable file explorer after big file move: Here's my issue. File explorer has become very unstable and takes a very long time to respond after opening certain folders many of which have very little data in them after I moved a large number of files from one folder to another on the same drive HDD not SSD. It was...
  4. Extremely Unstable file explorer after big file move

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Extremely Unstable file explorer after big file move: Here's my issue. File explorer has become very unstable and takes a very long time to respond after opening certain folders many of which have very little data in them after I moved a large number of files from one folder to another on the same drive HDD not SSD. It was...
  5. Extremely Unstable file explorer after big file move

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. File Explorer Extremely Slow!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Extremely Slow!: Hello, From 13th November, my laptop has become slower in the case of file explorer. I have even attached an image: I think that this might be because of the Update I made that day. It was working just normal on the 12th, I remember. And, there is a video in my Downloads...
  7. File Explorer Extremely Slow!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Extremely Slow!: Hello, From 13th November, my laptop has become slower in the case of file explorer. I have even attached an image: I think that this might be because of the Update I made that day. It was working just normal on the 12th, I remember. And, there is a video in my Downloads...
  8. File Explorer Extremely Slow!

9. File Explorer Extremely slow

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File Explorer Extremely slow: My company has been having issues with file explorer one being loading file explorer is extremely slow. There are other programs having issues now but I feel are not important. To test if this was caused by user error I create a fresh install on a computer suffering from the...
  10. File Explorer Will Not Load / Extremely Slow

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Will Not Load / Extremely Slow: I've been having this problem recently, I honestly dont know what it is. My computer runs smoothly, up until I open up file explorer and it basically doesn't load. It's been sitting there for at least 40 minutes. If anyone can shed some light, I would greatly appreciate it....