Windows 10: File Explorer Fails Reading DVD Directory

Discus and support File Explorer Fails Reading DVD Directory in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Ultimately, I want to copy my DVD files to my computer hard drive. I have encountered a problem trying to read the directory of and copy [VOB] files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Pine Sap, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Pine Sap Win User

File Explorer Fails Reading DVD Directory

Ultimately, I want to copy my DVD files to my computer hard drive.

I have encountered a problem trying to read the directory of and copy [VOB] files from a YesVideo DVD. There is no copy protection, it's my 8mm video they translated to DVD format. YesVideo says I am allowed and should be able to copy these files. The DVD plays fine on my DVD Player.

Using Windows 10 File Explorer I can navigate to the Video_TS directory. If I move but not click the cursor to the right-side pane and hover over some of the files a preview pops up showing some file statistics. If I move the cursor and hover but not click over some of the other files, with Task Manager running in background, I do not see any file statistics pop up, but, I do see Task Manager start a Windows Problem Reporting Task start and apparently complete. Then, File Explorer closes and my screen goes black for a few seconds. When the screen comes back, I see File Explorer activity for a few seconds in Task Manager then that stops and there is no File Explorer open.

I have no problem listing directories of some other DVDs. I have 2 copies of same thing from YesVideo; same results with both DVDs.

At first I simply tried to copy all the files from the DVD to my hard drive; it gets hung up at about 25% and I have to force PWR Off/Restart. Next I tried using VideoLan; same incomplete copy. Next, I tried copying one file at a time. Sometimes, for some of the files, I get past the Directory problem and can R-Click copy/paste a file to my hard drive. It seems to work intermittently, that if I open the folder where the files are held and wait for a while I am more likely to be able to copy/paste some of the files.

Device Manager says it is the Best Driver available [from Microsoft].

What might I try next?

:)

Pine Sap, Apr 1, 2017

2. File mover program other than File Explorer

I spent most of the day yesterday with 3 Microsoft technicians and none of them could solve the issue. We've been through the ownership routine many times.

But I believe the problem lies completely with File Explorer.

Although the directories such as Documents are marked READ ONLY ... programs write to the directory with no problem.

But I cannot use File Explorer to copy / paste to those directories that File Explorer sees as READ ONLY.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with a Microsoft Engineer who will be calling to see if < he > can figure it out.

Since programs can write to those directories, obviously they are NOT < read only > but they are as far as Microsoft Explorer is concerned so that's why I'm looking for another program that will copy / paste files. I want to see if those directorys show
    up marked READ ONLY to that program too.

Arizona Willie, Apr 1, 2017
  3. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Apr 1, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

It could be a hardware issue with the drive itself. In such cases I keep on hand an External USB Optical drive for testing, verifying the issue either as Windows or hardware. It doesn't hurt anything as plugging it in works just as if it were a USB Thumb drive. The only issue I've had with copying or manually running the contents of a video DVD is in getting the right file to double-click to run the full video.

Berton, Apr 1, 2017
  5. Pine Sap Win User
    Berton, I agree that due to the intermittent nature there might be some sort of Drive/Driver/Timing problem. Unfortunately, I do not have an external drive to help debug this.

Pine Sap, Apr 1, 2017
  6. mike s Win User
    Use a program that reads the disc sector-by-sector and creates an ISO (e.g. LC ISO Creator). Then extract the files from the ISO.
    This will also serve as a scan for defective sectors, copy protection, or media compatibility issues with the YesVideo discs themselves.

mike s, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer Fails Reading DVD Directory - Similar Threads - File Explorer Fails

2. Failed To Create Data Directory - NW.js cannot read and write to its data directory:...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failed To Create Data Directory - NW.js cannot read and write to its data directory:...: When I restart Windows 11 I get this error:Failed To Create Data Directory - NW.js cannot read and write to its data directory: .note_data https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-to-create-data-directory-nwjs-cannot-read/0da2e951-3162-4507-9b8c-37dbac9c15e1
  3. Failed To Create Data Directory - NW.js cannot read and write to its data directory:...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failed To Create Data Directory - NW.js cannot read and write to its data directory:...: When I restart Windows 11 I get this error:Failed To Create Data Directory - NW.js cannot read and write to its data directory: .note_data https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/failed-to-create-data-directory-nwjs-cannot-read/0da2e951-3162-4507-9b8c-37dbac9c15e1
  4. File Explorer is not reading CD/DVD: files/content invisible UDF file system

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    File Explorer is not reading CD/DVD: files/content invisible UDF file system: The File Explorer on my computer is not reading the files on my DVD/CD-ROM. The DVD/CD-ROM drive is working fine. Other CDs work ok. This CD, there are no files listed, shows "0 items". Right click on properties show file system is UDF and about 28MB used space. Right...
  5. Explorer Directory

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer Directory: I found this directory accidentaly, does anyone know what it is and where did it come from cause i have not accessed the files listed in this folder on this computer...
  6. no cd\dvd in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    no cd\dvd in file explorer: file explorer no showing cd\dvd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-cddvd-in-file-explorer/8b78080c-70ab-47be-a862-4a7f233c59fa
  7. dvd not reading

dvd not reading: my sony VPCSB18GG LAPTOP IN iNDIA IS NOT DETECTING THE DVD WHEN INSERTED. LAPTOP WAS UPGRADED TO WINDOW 10 FROM WINDOW 7ONE YEAR BACK. THE TROUBLE STARTED THEREAFTER. HOW TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM...
  8. File Explorer and formatting DVD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer and formatting DVD: In my desktop Win10Pro, 1909, 18363.693, File Explorer recognizes and will format a blank DVD/CD 700MB disk. It doesn't recognize and therefore won't format a 4.7GB disk. Can anyone point me to the likely cause of this? Thank you. PMR...
  9. Dvd not reading

Dvd not reading: I was just watching a movie with vlc media player then i went to pop another movie in my cd was making noises. Not like it did for the previous dvd. The new movie is a rental from redbox n so i thought it was the sticker, so i removed it (dont worry i bought the movie before...
  10. Windows DVD Player and File Explorer close when reading a DVD

Windows DVD Player and File Explorer close when reading a DVD: When I try to autoplay a DVD, the Windows DVD Player will load and then immediately close. When I view the /VIDEO_TS directory in the DVD the same event happens. This behavior was not true in the past. What is going on? I am running Windows 10. My DVD drive is a HL-DT-ST...