Windows 10: File explorer frezes after i press the start button

Discus and support File explorer frezes after i press the start button in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I just installed a new ssd in my computer. So I had to reinstall windows on it, efter i did this had some problems getting the 1803 update. after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by timpni, Jul 4, 2018.

1. timpni Win User

File explorer frezes after i press the start button

Hi, I just installed a new ssd in my computer. So I had to reinstall windows on it, efter i did this had some problems getting the 1803 update. after the update there where some problems that i fixed, that have all been related to windows defender. Now i have problem that i cant solve. at radom times when i press the start button or widows settings button makes my computer freze. Sometimes I can move my mouse curser other times i look up completely. If Im lucky it passes so Ive look in the task manger after and i can se a massive spike on the CPU. I also noticed that the service "cryptographic services" takes alot of cpu power.

:)

timpni, Jul 4, 2018
  2. Berton Win User

Add file explorer to start button area?

Do you not already have the default File Explorer yellow folder icon on the Taskbar? It [and others] can be moved as desired except maybe as close to the Start button as desired. And in Start, W section you should find File Explorer and right-click to Pin to Start, will show as a Tile at the bottom of the list but can be dragged to a more convenient location in the Tiles.

Berton, Jul 4, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Start Menu File Explorer button error "Windows cannot access the specified device ..."

Hi All,

I have a strange error with windows start menu today! Please check the attached two images:

Notes (before reproducing steps):

• My laptop is up without restart for 11 days till now, I am a software engineer.
    • I have ended the explorer processes and relaunched it from the task manager.
    • File Explorer button in the start menu opens "This PC".
    • I can open the Explorer normally by
      • Menu Button + E
      • File Explorer pinned to the taskbar

• I can't open the File Explorer by Start Menu > File Explorer Button

• I don't want to restart, I have a lot of work on other desktops, restart solves this problem. Obviously, it is a bug.

Steps to reproduce the error:

• open the start menu
    • click on file explorer button
      • an error message appears with "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".

Step 1:

File explorer frezes after i press the start button fad2ccec-0d7c-4272-9c89-08b9eb0f0083?upload=true.png

Step 2 & result:

File explorer frezes after i press the start button 06f0a347-02ec-4462-acd2-2d5f32d5199d?upload=true.png

Steps were taken trying to resolve the issue:

• I tried to restart the explorer process from task manager, but with no success.
    • I tried to replace the shortcut the file explorer button points at, but still with no hope.
    • I checked the permissions of the "explorer.exe" process in "Windows" folder, and I have the correct permissions. I even tried to double click the file "explorer.exe" and it normally opened the explorer without a problem!

I guess it is a problem with the File Explorer button itself in the start menu (A GUI problem), maybe a corrupted registry key!

Software and Hardware Specs:

Windows 10 Pro x64

Version 1709

OS Build 16299.309

Dell Inspiron 7559

Quad Cores i5 2.3 GHz

8 GB Ram

Thank you very much.

ahmedhamdy90, Jul 4, 2018
  4. linhlz Win User

File Explorer crash when opened from taskbar (never happened before)

Method 1.

You should be able to fix this problem by disabling DEP (Data Execution Prevention)
    • Step 1.Log in computer with Administrator account to make sure you have fully administrative rights.
    • Step 2. If your computer is running Windows XP, click "Start" button and select "Run". Windows 7 user can press Windows and R keys. Type sysdm.cpl in Run box and click OK.
    • Step 3. You can see System Prosperities window from which you need to click Advanced tab and then Settings.
    • Step 4. The "Performance Options" window will pop up and please click "Data Execution Protection" tab. Select the option "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select" and click "Add" button.
    • Step 5. Browse files from the Open applet and find the exe files of the software which causes the error code. Select it and click "Open" button.
    • Step 6. Click "Apply" and "OK" to make changes take effect.

Method 2. Update Internet Explorer

linhlz, Jul 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File explorer frezes after i press the start button - Similar Threads - File explorer frezes

2. accidentally changed appearance now after pressing start button

in Windows 10 Customization
    accidentally changed appearance now after pressing start button: This is a brand new PC I picked up yesterday. I was checking a few things out when I noticed the start menu has changed from normal showing all programs to the bellow images, are you able to tell me how to change this back to normal when pressing start button....
  3. Critical error when I press the start button

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Critical error when I press the start button: I’m not very good with computers just yet and I’ve ran into the issue of the critical error when I press the start button and it signs me out and now it seems to take forever to start back up like the black screen after I sign back in. I main question would be can I use the...
  4. When i presse the power button the pc doesn't start.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    When i presse the power button the pc doesn't start.: Hi I have mouved my composant to another box and i changes the motherboard and the power suplie when i try to boot it it does nothing. The only way to boot it is press the power sw botton on my motherboard....
  5. Pressing the start button doesn't work after update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Pressing the start button doesn't work after update: Hello everyone, I have recently updated to Windows 10 2004 a bit of a late update because I have been also struggling with getting the update to go through for the past 6 months. It finally worked after a clean reinstall of the Windows. Ever since the update I can not bring...
  6. BSOD when I just press the start button

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BSOD when I just press the start button: Hi helper, Here's the thing. Recently my computer always occurs BSOD. It makes me crazy so I decide re-install my win10x64 system. At the first day after install, it looks good. But the second day and today, It occurs BSOD when I just press the start button, the BSOD was...
  7. When I press the start button after playing a game, It goes like this, I have to press It...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    When I press the start button after playing a game, It goes like this, I have to press It...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/DontDare6 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f674db/when_i_press_the_start_button_after_playing_a/
  8. Computer starts if I press any keyboard button

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer starts if I press any keyboard button: When I press any of the buttons on the keyboard, my computer starts. I am sure it is not in the Sleep, Hibernate or Standby modes. I use Asus laptop and have reset it to factory default recently. It seems to me the issue has shown up after upgrading to the latest version of...
  9. Add file explorer to start button area?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Add file explorer to start button area?: By that I mean here: [img] I want to pin/add File Explorer to that as well. 77191
  10. "File Explorer" button in Start menu is not working

in Windows 10 Support
    "File Explorer" button in Start menu is not working: My "File Explorer" button in Start menu is not working. When I press on it nothing happens. Already tried: SFC/scannow, reboot, restart explorer.exe 44528