Windows 10: File Explorer - Full navigation from Quick Access not possible?

Discus and support File Explorer - Full navigation from Quick Access not possible? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been on Windows 10 for a few months, and whilst it is mostly fine, File Explorer is driving me up the wall. Can a program be any more broken?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Foebane72, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Foebane72 Win User

File Explorer - Full navigation from Quick Access not possible?

I have been on Windows 10 for a few months, and whilst it is mostly fine, File Explorer is driving me up the wall. Can a program be any more broken?

I've been using Quick Access for a while, but is useless in terms of navigating through the hierarchy of a folder, so I can forced to use the awkward path along the top. Even dragging a file from one part of the hierarchy to the other is not possible, so I have to do this awkward Cut and Paste.

The Libraries system, it seems, has been deprecrated in Windows 10 - I cannot apply changes to Folder View layout from one of these and have them stick, and they seem more limited - I can't even add two or more folders to a library anymore, neither! What gives?

All I want is to open explorer to a few folders and no others, and have full navigational and drag and drop functionality, not to mention right-click context menus with third-party options added.

Maybe a FE replacement?

:)

Foebane72, Jan 19, 2018

2. How to remove "Quick Access" from the File Explorer left side navigation pane in Windows 10 (64bit)

A user in the house would like to completely remove "Quick Access" from the left side navigation panel in File Explorer.

They are running the 64 bit version of Windows 10 Pro.

I have done the steps of "View", "Options", "Open File Explorer to This PC" and clearing the check marks under privacy and clearing the file history.

Quick Access still appears on the left side navigation panel.

Is there an administrator or other setting that I can use to have "Quick Access" not appear at all in the left side navigation pane?

Thanks.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

RobertKlier, Jan 19, 2018
  3. Right click not working and file explorer takes ages to open!

Hi alpie_ap

Had the same problem. Seems the problem was a network path to a sharepoint site in my Quick access list of File Explorer that was not accessible.

To resolve the problem, I removed all entries below Quick Access. Probably it would have been sufficient to just remove the problematic Quick access entry to the network path.

Note: If you do not see Quick Access in Explorer, to show it go to View tab, Navigation pane and select Navigation pane.

Best

Stephan

Stephan510, Jan 19, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I'm not sure why you're finding quite such difficulty- maybe these comments will help- I'm sure others will add theirs:
    Drag 'n drop should not be a problem. Perhaps you can post a couple of screenshots to explain what exactly you are having trouble with.
    Note: you might also like to try right click drag 'n drop.

This has not changed: 3rd party programs often add shell extensions which appear as extra context menu entries. There is a good number of programs you can use to modify these or add your own.

Add or Remove Favorites from Quick Access in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    may help you with favourites.

Personally, I prefer favourites I can access in most relevant dialogues.
    I use Actual Window Manager (expensive) which gives me extra buttons in the title bar on most (bar custom) windows, and I use that for favourites.

File Explorer - Full navigation from Quick Access not possible? [​IMG]

Another option is to use Listary (free/commercial)

(Both programs do more than shown).

dalchina, Jan 19, 2018
  5. Foebane72 Win User
    Under Quick access, I don't get the "greater than" arrows next to folders that mean I can expand/collapse the hierarchy under that folder.

Is it possible to do drag and drop using the path (the box just under the ribbon that shows the path, each folder having a drop down list of others on the same level, next to the search box at the right)?

Foebane72, Jan 19, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    Quick Access is for recent files and folders. It's not meant to expand. Those are just shortcuts.

For that, use the tree in the Navigation pane below it.

screenshot please... thank you.

You can do rt click drag and copy like this: (here minitool.zip to H*Smile

dalchina, Jan 19, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    Yes. That would drive me up the wall too. The first thing I do in File Explorer is go to the 'File' tab, click 'change folder and search options' then set it to open at 'This PC' rather than 'Quick Access'.

8. Foebane72 Win User

I found a solution that suits me for now: Select All Folders from the Navigation Pane so I can click on my User folder, and then make a Shortcut to my most commonly-edited folder. It works, I don't have to use Libraries nor Quick Access, and I have full control in the Navigation Pane.

Now, if only I could put that Shortcut on the Taskbar.

Foebane72, Jan 20, 2018
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Foebane, *Smile

If you mean to pin a folder to the taskbar, then the method in the tutorial below can help show you how to.

*Arrow 'Pin to taskbar' Folder and Drive in Windows 10 Customization Tutorials

Brink, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer - Full navigation from Quick Access not possible? - Similar Threads - File Explorer Full

2. WIndows 10 21H2 - Quick Access Shortcut Missing from Navigation Pane in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIndows 10 21H2 - Quick Access Shortcut Missing from Navigation Pane in File Explorer: We installed the latest update last week for Windows 10 21H2, and since the update we are now missing the Quick Access shortcut from the Navigation Pane in File Explorer.I have checked all registry settings, tried running repairs, and nothing is bringing the Quick Access...
  3. WIndows 10 21H2 - Quick Access Shortcut Missing from Navigation Pane in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIndows 10 21H2 - Quick Access Shortcut Missing from Navigation Pane in File Explorer: We installed the latest update last week for Windows 10 21H2, and since the update we are now missing the Quick Access shortcut from the Navigation Pane in File Explorer.I have checked all registry settings, tried running repairs, and nothing is bringing the Quick Access...
  4. WIndows 10 21H2 - Quick Access Shortcut Missing from Navigation Pane in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to expand folder in Quick Access in the Navigation Panel in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to expand folder in Quick Access in the Navigation Panel in File Explorer?: I can't expand files pinned to 'Quick access'.In the navigation panel of file explorer I am struggling to find a way to make all 'Quick Access' folders expandable on my new computer with Windows 11. I am able to expand the quick access pinned files on my windows 10 computer...
  6. How to expand folder in Quick Access in the Navigation Panel in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to expand folder in Quick Access in the Navigation Panel in File Explorer?: I can't expand files pinned to 'Quick access'.In the navigation panel of file explorer I am struggling to find a way to make all 'Quick Access' folders expandable on my new computer with Windows 11. I am able to expand the quick access pinned files on my windows 10 computer...
  7. Quick Access not listed in Navigation in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Quick Access not listed in Navigation in File Explorer: [ATTACH] We have a few computers that are new. Windows 10 Enterprise 20H2. Where Quick Access is not listed in the left navigation pane and cannot be added. Only options are OneDrive, This PC, and Network....
  8. Quick Access Missing from Navigation Pane

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Quick Access Missing from Navigation Pane: Setup a new computer and the Navigation Pane is missing the Quick Access folders. I have the quick launch up at the top along the bar but it's not listed in the Library area. This is what is missing from the machine. I've tried resetting the view panels and making a change in...
  9. Backup/restore Explorer navigation pane Quick Access?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup/restore Explorer navigation pane Quick Access?: I'm reluctantly upgrading to W10 as my new laptop isn't supported by W7. My goal is to get W10 to work as similar as possible to W7. Anyway, one of the things I'm finding really awkward is the new "Quick Access" links in Explorer's navigation pane, which replaces the old...
  10. Removing Quick access from the Navigation

in Windows 10 Support
    Removing Quick access from the Navigation: How do you remove Quick access from the left side of your folders when you have the navigation enabled? I can remove all of the icons under it just fine, but I cannot remove Quick access as a whole. 9281