Windows 10: File Explorer has two context menus

Discus and support File Explorer has two context menus in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Why does File Explorer have two differ right click menus? One has arrows at the top and bottom to scroll the menu and the other one is the old style... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rdwray, Feb 9, 2016.

1. rdwray Win User

File Explorer has two context menus

Why does File Explorer have two differ right click menus? One has arrows at the top and bottom to scroll the menu and the other one is the old style that we have always had which shows up once in awhile.

:)

rdwray, Feb 9, 2016
  2. FB10 Win User

Context Menus in File Explorer not rendering properly

Google Drive was the culprit for me...

FB10, Feb 9, 2016
  3. tpanc13 Win User
    tpanc13, Feb 9, 2016
  4. rdwray Win User

Ping: How to make the small or the large menu default?

rdwray, Apr 23, 2016
  5. dalchina New Member
    Do you simply mean some context menus are shorter than others?

If so, that's because of the -er- context. The idea is to show what's relevant to what you're right clicking, although that's sometimes not achieved so accurately- which may depend on the author of the shell extension of course.

If sthg else, could you post a screenshot for clarity?

dalchina, Apr 24, 2016
  6. rdwray Win User
    The tablet does not have a Print Screen (Acer) so I don't have a way of creating an image so I am going to improvise using Windows 8:
    This is what I call Normal on the left, Windows 10 (created by hand) on the right, notice that the spacing on the right image is a lot further apart and the small arrows at the top and bottom to do the scrolling of the "hidden" commands because the menu extends across the entire height of the screen in the horizontal position.

File Explorer has two context menus [​IMG]

rdwray, Apr 24, 2016
  7. dalchina New Member
    Hi, no idea..sorry.. didn't know it was a tablet. So the right menu is shown here rotated 90 degrees.. Hopefully someone familiar with tablets will answer.

Screenshot- presumably you do have the snipping tool... type "snip" in cortana's search box.

Could you complete your specs to help people reading this? Thanks!
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Apr 24, 2016
  8. rdwray Win User

I will fill in the specs for the tablet, but I actually have three other laptops.

Edit: Specs are filled in.

rdwray, Apr 24, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    So are you saying you see this on all of them, in this orientation?

"small arrows at the top and bottom to do the scrolling of the "hidden" commands because the menu extends across the entire height of the screen in the horizontal position."

dalchina, Apr 24, 2016
  10. rdwray Win User
    You got it. Sometimes the menu comes up as seen in the other image, it's like a birthday gift, you don't know what you are going to get.

rdwray, Apr 24, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    I've not seen this reported elsewhere- ok, I don't read all the threads (!).

So, do all your devices have similar programs installed?
    Basic conflict resolution:
    a. What happens if you do a clean boot?
    Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums
    b. What happens if you use Shellexview (free)?
    Hide all MS extensions
    Disable the rest
    Note the 32 bit option under Options which exposes more shell extensions.

Do you have any unusual display settings- magnification - and note this:

When you experience the horizontal display, can you check if there's a change in the orientation setting here?

dalchina, Apr 24, 2016
  12. rdwray Win User
    Not related to a program I installed, it is Windows 10 File Explorer where this issue resides.

rdwray, Apr 24, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

Let's put it this way then.
    Something is affecting your PCs that (it seems) no one else is reporting.
    I.e. if you had a clean installation, you wouldn't expect to see it happening.

The nearest you can easily get to that is Safe Mode- try it.
    The next nearest is a clean boot, with shell extensions disabled.

More generally: some possibilities:
    You have a unique copy of Windows
    Your Windows is corrupted on all your PCs (if this appears on all)
    You have installed sthg on each of your PCs that causes this
    You have some unusual combination of settings on your PCs

Which do you prefer? Or can you suggest any alternative possibilities?

dalchina, Apr 24, 2016
  14. rdwray Win User
    I am running XP on one and 8 on two. Can't agree on this; the tablet came with 8 installed and I upgraded to 8.1 with no issues. I upgraded to 10 and the issue started. The 8 that came with the tablet is not the same as installed on a PC, it was probably custom modified by Acer so that it is a vendor version, but even that would not account for this issue.

Booted into safe mode and got the larger menu continuously; went back to normal boot and got the switching menus.

EDIT: Don't know, now it is giving me the large menu all the time; evidently it may have healed itself. I guess I can live with it *Banghead

rdwray, Apr 24, 2016
  15. dalchina New Member
    Hi, good that you see a difference in Safe Mode. So given that on your tablet you can see that difference, that alone says either
    a. drivers (esp. graphics) - you'd have a new set of drivers having upgraded to '10
    or
    b. the effect of possible conflicting programs (which you've discounted).

Therefore should the problem arise again, suggest reverting to older graphics driver, which you'd have to protect from Windows update (see Tutorial section).

dalchina, Apr 25, 2016
Thema:

1. File Explorer has two context menus - Similar Threads - File Explorer has

2. The File Explorer has no menus or options

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The File Explorer has no menus or options: There appear to be thousands and thousands of websites where people are desperately trying to obtain a workable FIle Explorer for the unfortunate victims of Microsoft's Windows 11. The inquiries span two or three...
  3. The File Explorer has no menus or options

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The File Explorer has no menus or options: There appear to be thousands and thousands of websites where people are desperately trying to obtain a workable FIle Explorer for the unfortunate victims of Microsoft's Windows 11. The inquiries span two or three...
  4. No Full-Context Menus?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Full-Context Menus?: I've upgraded to the new Windows 11 and I wanted to move the taskbar to the top, But all I see is a useless "Taskbar Settings" Button. Do you think theseare messy popups? They are not. So is there an official way to make these full context?...
  5. No Full-Context Menus?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Full-Context Menus?: I've upgraded to the new Windows 11 and I wanted to move the taskbar to the top, But all I see is a useless "Taskbar Settings" Button. Do you think theseare messy popups? They are not. So is there an official way to make these full context?...
  6. File Explorer and right context menus got messed up in Dark mode.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer and right context menus got messed up in Dark mode.: File Explorer and right context menus got messed up. The white address bar and no separation lines between options in right-click menus. any help would be appreciated!!!...
  7. Edit or an editor for the context menus

in Windows 10 Customization
    Edit or an editor for the context menus: My context menu is a mess. Items that I never use, or apps added themselves but not wanted, and vice versa. Older apps that offer setting to be listed, no longer work function in W10 1909. I am trying to add them manually and remove those which I don't want. e.g: I have...
  8. Restore "Explore" Item in Context Menus?

Restore "Explore" Item in Context Menus?: Windows 7 saw the removal of the "Explore" item in the context menus. I know why, it was redundant, but I still would like to restore it. Here's the Recycle Bin context menu in Windows 2000: [ATTACH] And the same context menu in W10 after a bit of editing: [ATTACH]...
  9. File Explorer/Context Menus having some issues with dark theme

File Explorer/Context Menus having some issues with dark theme: As you can see in the image, parts of file explorer and context menus are still white, making things unreadable. I've tried updating, restarting, and toggling dark theme to no avail. I'm just forced to use light theme at the moment, which enables me to use my computer but is...
  10. Context Menus - (Inconsistencies)

Context Menus - (Inconsistencies): If you're not keen on the 'larger' spacing on some Explorer right click context menus, or, have applied a different 'text size' and, perhaps applied 'Bold' but find that the modifications do not adhere, here's a quick Registry modification to fix that. If you are...