Windows 10: File Explorer in Windows 10 Not Opening Folders

Discus and support File Explorer in Windows 10 Not Opening Folders in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have 2 Windows 10 pc's, Windows 1709 ( OS Build 16299.125,both up to date. One of them has just developed a problem with File Explorer being very... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JohnBurns, Jan 1, 2018.

1. JohnBurns Win User

File Explorer in Windows 10 Not Opening Folders

I have 2 Windows 10 pc's, Windows 1709 ( OS Build 16299.125,both up to date. One of them has just developed a problem with File Explorer being very slow opening folders after the first one has been opened. If I open Documents, on the first try, it opens immediately, but subsequent openings take at least 45 seconds for it to open again. The same is true with Pictures, Music, Videos, and Control Panel. After opening them once, it again takes the time for them to open again. I have searched this forum, Google, etc and tried oh, so many things with indexing, turning off Windows Search, making sure usb's were all in tightly, and on, and on. No success! The other pc does not have this problem and I have compared the settings and found no significant differences. I am getting at my wit's end, while 45 d

:)

JohnBurns, Jan 1, 2018

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Jan 1, 2018
  3. File explorer not opening folders from taskbar

the problem still there after sfc /scannow

yuxingchen, Jan 1, 2018
  4. Framani Win User

I'm struggling with the same issue, but only with folders not contained in the OS drive (secondary and external drives). I'm almost sure that Microsoft is the one to blame. Let me know if you find any solution.

Framani, Jan 1, 2018
  5. Please disconnect all connected devices to find out problem resolves if it does not perform a clean boot state.

I would like to have you run a Clean Boot.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning: Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your antivirus disabled until the process is ended. For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the
    File Explorer in Windows 10 Not Opening Folders [​IMG]
    keys to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box. This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

(1) Click/tap on the General tab.

(2) Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

(3) Remove the check mark in the Load startup items check box.

4. Click on the Services tab.

5. Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6. Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

7. Click on Apply then OK

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

8. Divide the number of these services and startup programs by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart the computer.

9. If the problem doesn't return in those services and startup programs remove the checks and place checks in the remaining services and startup programs and restart the computer.

10. When you find which half the service and startup programs is in go on to the next step.

11. The half which has the service and startup programs causing this problem remove half of the checks as you did previously to see which half has this service. Restart the computer.

12. If it isn't in the first half of these services and startup programs, do the same with the last half of the services and startup programs.

13. Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services and startup programs remove the checks one at a time till you find the service or startup program at fault.

Once you have found the service or startup program post it in your topic. Do not take any action until I suggest the next step.

FreeBooter, Jan 1, 2018
  6. JohnBurns Win User
    Framani - will post here if I find solution. Funny thing, tho, I even restored the pc to a point before this was happening and even that didn't work.

FreeBooter, thanks for the suggestion, but I had done a clean boot - tried it again just in case - no success!

JohnBurns, Jan 1, 2018
  7. Framani Win User
    I tried the solution posted just in case I had forgotten anything, but it didn't work either. I'm having issues mainly with a 5400 rpm hdd, no problems whatsoever with ssd and 7200 rpm hdd. It's really weird cause the disk is almost new and any test I've performed on it has not thrown bad sectors or mechanical issues.

Framani, Jan 1, 2018
  8. Callender Win User

Request: Post a screenshot of your right click menu (right click folder)

Would like to see what shows up in context menu.

Grab a copy of this and run it then right click a problem folder:

Explorer++ - A small and fast file manager for Windows

You can see that the context menu is missing installed shell extensions. Screenshot below is the same folder as in the first screenshot.

If it works better in Explorer++ we can say that it's a shell extension issue.

Other than that it might be a folder template issue.

Callender, Jan 1, 2018
  9. Callender Win User
    Callender, Jan 1, 2018
  10. Framani Win User
    Explorer++ is working a tad better but the shell extensions are exactly the same as in the regular explorer.

Framani, Jan 2, 2018
  11. Callender Win User
    Do you mean the right click context menu is showing exactly the same options in Explorer vs Explorer++ ?

If so what is shown exactly.

Grab autoruns:

Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs

Extract files then Right click and run as admin.

autoruns.exe is for 32bit windows
    autoruns64.exe is for 64bit windows
    Wait for scan to complete.

Post a screenshot of Explorer tab please. Also try the folder template tweak.

Grab a copy of UVK.

UVK - Ultra Virus Killer

Use "Scan And Create Log" button with the following settings. Upload the results.

Callender, Jan 2, 2018
  12. JohnBurns Win User
    Callender - thanks so much. Explorer++ fixed my problem completely. Absolutely fantastic. You are great - thanks again!

JohnBurns, Jan 2, 2018
  13. Framani Win User

Just like John I no longer have any issues accessing the folder I had problems with. Weird bug I experienced. Thanks.

Framani, Jan 2, 2018
  14. Callender Win User
    Cheers but if you mean that Explorer++ works but you still have problems with Windows File Explorer then the problem is not really fixed - just bypassed.

Sounds like a third party software shell extension issue.

However if you're happy you can use the option to replace explorer.

Callender, Jan 2, 2018
  15. Callender Win User
    Or if you mean that everything woks now - ignore that last post!

Callender, Jan 2, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer in Windows 10 Not Opening Folders - Similar Threads - File Explorer Opening

2. Can't open File Explorer folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open File Explorer folders: Since 4 days I am unable to open File Explorer folders in my laptop , it is showing "Not Responding message", so what might be the issue , please resolve it. I contacted you two times, but no solution....
  3. Can't open File Explorer folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open File Explorer folders: Since 4 days I am unable to open File Explorer folders in my laptop , it is showing "Not Responding message", so what might be the issue , please resolve it. I contacted you two times, but no solution....
  4. File explorer opens folders in new windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer opens folders in new windows: Build 22621.730Hi everyone, I'm experiencing this issue since I updated Windows 11 to the current version. I can finally use tabs in file explorer and that's a wonderful thing. However, every time I double click a folder, file explorer decides to open it in a new window.I...
  5. File explorer opens folders in new windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File explorer opens folders in new windows: Build 22621.730Hi everyone, I'm experiencing this issue since I updated Windows 11 to the current version. I can finally use tabs in file explorer and that's a wonderful thing. However, every time I double click a folder, file explorer decides to open it in a new window.I...
  6. Folder won't open on Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder won't open on Windows 10 File Explorer: In my Windows 10 File Explorer I couldn't open one of the folders Scanned Documents, if that matters. Clicking didn't raise an error or anything, but even right click 'open in a new window' got no response at all. I checked its permissions and properties. After researching...
  7. How to open Dropbox files & folders in File Explorer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to open Dropbox files & folders in File Explorer in Windows 10: [ATTACH]If Dropbox opens its app to open and explore files, but you want to open Dropbox files in File Explorer in Windows 10, then it […] This article How to open Dropbox files & folders in File Explorer in Windows 10 first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. OneDrive folders will not open in File Explorer

OneDrive folders will not open in File Explorer: OneDrive folders (e.g. Documents, Pictures, etc.) will not open using File Explorer. File Explorer hangs. Folders and files using OneDrive app and OneDrive online work correctly. OneDrive folders do open correctly using a non-Microsoft file manager (TreeSize Personal)....
  9. Windows 10 file explorer not opening? Can't open any folder.

Windows 10 file explorer not opening? Can't open any folder.: I follow these steps to fix my problem Fix File Explorer if it won't open or start and I also tried other fixes that is mentioned in other posts but non is working for me. The last step where it says Run Automatic Repair is only step left. Can someone tell me why its not...
  10. Windows Explorer slow in opening files and folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer slow in opening files and folders: Since a couple of weeks when I open a file or folder in my Windows Explorer i see for maybe a couple of seconds a wristwatch pointer appearing and disappearing before opening that file or folder. Not a big deal but annoying. Can anyone help me please? 103092