Windows 10: File explorer is displaying stale drive data

Discus and support File explorer is displaying stale drive data in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; One of my hard drives began to develop bad sectors according to SMART so I decided to replace that one and one other to be safe. During this process I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by xwray, May 16, 2018.

1. xwray Win User

File explorer is displaying stale drive data

One of my hard drives began to develop bad sectors according to SMART so I decided to replace that one and one other to be safe. During this process I shut down and restarted the PC several times as I was transferring data etc. Now, when I start file explorer it sometimes displays stale data - sometimes from a drive that is no longer installed and sometimes from an installed drive but erroneous data. The problem might be exacerbated by
    the fact that my system has hot-swappable bays that I use fairly often.

I was hoping that there might be a cache or or other drive information storage mechanism that file explorer uses that could be cleared so the system could get a fresh clean start with only the current drive configuration and was hoping someone could answer the question or otherwise tell me how to resolve the issue without starting totally from scratch.

I hope I asked this question in a way that makes sense.

Thanks for any help anyone might be able to provide.

:)

xwray, May 16, 2018
  2. JBOWIE62 Win User

File Explorer- no drive letters are listed.

Original Title: File Explorer

I am trying to open File Explorer with my drives listed on the right. I only have the files in the first column and no drive letters are listed.

JBOWIE62, May 16, 2018
  3. File Explorer- no drive letters are listed.

The File Explorer in Windows 10, shows the Frequent folders list and Recent files list by default. You can view the drives by clicking on This PC tab on the left site of the File Explorer. But if you wish the File Explorer
    to open This PC showing drives list by default, then follow these steps:

1. In Windows 10, open a new File Explorer window and click the View tab from the ribbon toolbar.

2. In the View tab, find and click on Options, listed by default on the far right side of the ribbon.

3. In the Folder Options window, make sure you’re on the General tab and then find the drop-down box labeled Open File Explorer To. Click the drop-down menu and select This PC. Click OK to
    save your changes and close the window. Now your File Explorer opens to Drives list by default.

Hope this helps!

JohnCalton, May 16, 2018
Thema:

File explorer is displaying stale drive data

1. File explorer is displaying stale drive data - Similar Threads - File explorer displaying

2. File Explorer not displaying saved files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer not displaying saved files: File Explorer shows the contents of C:\, however files saved to C:\ are not displayed. Programs can access them and they show in the open files dialogs but not File Explorer.I do try not to save to C:\, but sometimes I must. For example Photoshop often tells me my disks are...
  3. Phone Link Displaying Stale Data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phone Link Displaying Stale Data: How long is Windows Phone Link going go be down?I need to get some photos off my phone but the system is telling me to try again later.I've rebooted my PC and my phone and it is still saying to try again later....
  4. Phone Link Displaying Stale Data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Phone Link Displaying Stale Data: How long is Windows Phone Link going go be down?I need to get some photos off my phone but the system is telling me to try again later.I've rebooted my PC and my phone and it is still saying to try again later....
  5. Hard drive will no longer display in file explorer

Hard drive will no longer display in file explorer: I turn on my windows 10 laptop this morning to install a game. I am about to install it to my hard drive but i come to find out that it is no longer there. I have a look and its still plugged in as always. I can safely remove it from the icon thing in the bottom right corner...
  6. Hard drive will no longer display in file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive will no longer display in file explorer: I turn on my windows 10 laptop this morning to install a game. I am about to install it to my hard drive but i come to find out that it is no longer there. I have a look and its still plugged in as always. I can safely remove it from the icon thing in the bottom right corner...
  7. Hard drive will no longer display in file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Clipboard data Paste to file in file explorer

Clipboard data Paste to file in file explorer: Copy image or text to Clipboard as from WhatsApp for windows app when we open file explorer to see HDD files, right-click on it, the paste is disabled, it is good to see the file explorer support page of the clipboard as the pate the clipboard contents as a file....
  9. Display of files displayed in Windows Explorer

Display of files displayed in Windows Explorer: I am running Win10 Pro on a Surface Pro and I want to NOT have the Widows Explorer sub-total my files by date. Unfortunately I can't find anything anywhere that tells me how to accomplish that. Does anyone have a solution? Thanks for your help....
  10. Data size and numberof files file explorer

Data size and numberof files file explorer: I have discovered an enormous discrepancy: Please advise [ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/data-size-and-numberof-files-file-explorer/e9c109a4-d2a2-4456-afb3-75c0abdde539"