Windows 10: File Explorer keeps crashing

Discus and support File Explorer keeps crashing in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello guys! First of all, I am so sorry if this is the wrong section to post this problem in but I had a hard time locating where I should post it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by AndyLemon, Aug 10, 2015.

1. AndyLemon Win User

File Explorer keeps crashing

Hello guys!
    First of all, I am so sorry if this is the wrong section to post this problem in but I had a hard time locating where I should post it.

After upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, my file explorer simply keeps crashing when navigating in folders.

Example:
    I go to "This PC" and the window that pops up show all my drives but not how much storage they have/have left. When I try open a drive or folder the window and taskbar closes down and reopen after a few seconds.
    I haven't had this problem even a single time before I upgraded to Windows 10 but now it happens almost every time I try open a folder.

Anyone who might got an idea on how to fix this?*Smile

/Andy

:)

AndyLemon, Aug 10, 2015

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Aug 10, 2015
  3. Anamality Win User
    Windows explorer (File explorer) Keeps crashing

Hey guys

I have an issues with Windows 10. Windows explorer keeps crashing and I am not sure why. I have read through many forums and have tried many solutions but non seem to have worked. I have tired different solutions for about 4ish hours now and I can't figure
    this out. I am not crazy good at trying to fix this type of problem.

When I am navigating through folders with Windows explorer, I can move through them without problems. When I open a file (Ex. notepad) the file loads, and the Windows Explorer crashes. The crash for Windows Explorer also happens when I open a file on my
    desktop (or any pdf/game/whatever else). Anything I double click causes the crash, but the file will still load (whatever I double click). I can't look at photos either on my computer with Windows Photo Viewer. I have left this issues going for so long (ever
    since I've upgraded to Windows 10) assuming an update would fix this but it hasn't.

Here is what I have done to try to fix the problem (non of these worked)

1) Used ShellExView. I've hid all microsoft extensions and disabled everything else

2) Set the size of text to 100%

3) Set options to launch folder windows in separate window

4) I started computer in safe mode and crashes still occurred there

5) I've run the command SCF /scannow command and everything was 100% verified (forgot the term it said)

6) Force updated Windows and restart computer

7) Used Ccleaner

8) Booted the computer with a clean start (everything disabled on start up)

If anyone has any idea why the issue is happening I would greatly appreciate the help, I can't seem to figure this out on my own. If there is a detail you would like to know that you may need to help solve this problem also ask for that too.

***Subject edited for clarity by the moderator.***

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Anamality, Aug 10, 2015
  4. larc919 Win User

I'm having exactly the same problem. It has happened on all 3 computers I've upgraded from 8.1 and 7 to 10. 2 of them eventually worked out OK with extreme care, but I still haven't been able to upgrade from 8.1 Pro on my main system or keep explorer.exe working past a certain point even with a clean install. Everything worked flawlessly with 8.1, so I can't see any logical reason why it wouldn't be the same with 10. It's not supposed to be a downgrade.

larc919, Aug 10, 2015
  5. AndyLemon Win User
    Really needs a fix. I reinstalled my computer and the problem happens again.

AndyLemon, Aug 12, 2015
  6. I too faced a similar problem. See here Win7 to Win10: Explorer crashes on right-click on folder/within folder/click on shortcut of new folder.

It turned out to be graphics driver issue although I didn't see any problem in graphics. Strange? !!!

I would request you to try uninstall + delete (important!!!) drivers and re-install latest in the following sequence:
    1. Graphics driver
    2. Audio driver
    3. WiFi driver

Yes, even if they're working perfectly fine, please do that and check upon system reboot post each driver delete and re-install. You'll get to know which one caused the problem.

Please say "thanks" if it solves the problem.

shivinitin, Aug 24, 2015
  7. larc919 Win User
    I found what was causing my explorer.exe crashes. There are subject folders on my desktop that I keep icons for various programs in. Making those open folders too narrow (which also narrowed File Explorer) caused a crash each time I tried to open one. Examination of the minidumps pointed to lack of sufficient space for the search box. Keeping open folders about 6 icons wide has made everything OK. This is apparently a bug in 10 since changing an open window size shouldn't cause that problem. Or, at least, narrowing past the tripping point shouldn't be allowable.

larc919, Aug 26, 2015
  8. skyla Win User

This is happening to me also.. is there a fix yet?

skyla, Sep 21, 2015
  9. skyla Win User
    My husband already tried deleting all the drivers and reinstalling, and it won't fix *Sad

skyla, Sep 21, 2015
  10. RIA
    Ria Win User
    I have alot of saved data on my computer as we run a business from home... has anyone come up with a way to fix this issue!!!

11. jds63 Win User
    jds63, Sep 30, 2015
  12. This sounds like a manufacturer sound audio issue for some of us. I found this solution and it worked for me. I found some error in the Events Manager and this one was relevant "IDTNC64.cpl." "The root cause of the problem is that the audio software supplied by IDT and used by several PC manufacturers (Dell, HP and probably others) is not compatible with Windows 10. IDTNC64.CPL is one component of that software and the correct solution is to uninstall the IDT audio altogether. Provided you have just restarted your PC, you should be able to use a Windows Run Box (Win Key + R) before the crashes get too serious. Type 'control panel' into the run box prompt and when the Control Panel appears, use Uninstall to seek out the offending IDT program - on my PC it had an icon of a musical note with the letters IDT next to it - and Uninstall. On rebooting the PC (use Ctrl-Alt-Del to power down if necessary) and restarting, Windows will automatically detect any missing audio drivers and install appropriate ones (not from IDT). You can then check that IDTNC64.CPL is no longer present in C:\windows\system32. If you have not yet migrated from an earlier version of Windows, it is best to Uninstall the IDT software in the old operating system (again, Windows will automatically reinstall compatible drivers) before attempting the upgrade to Windows 10." After days of troubleshooting, I finally have no desktop or file explorer loop crashes! Thanks (Mikedt10 !)

soporifics, Nov 23, 2015
  13. AndyA Win User

I removed IDT audio and it worked for me - thanks!

AndyA, Jan 19, 2016
  14. Aroha Win User
    I uninstalled IDT audio and my problem was solved! Thank you Soporifics!

Aroha, Jan 19, 2016
  15. lanciadub Win User
    I uninstalled IDT audio too and yay its sorted , but i had to do it through windows settings, system , apps and features , uninstall idt.
    my control panel wouldn't stay open long enough to remove it the classic way .

lanciadub, Jan 29, 2016
Thema:

1. File Explorer keeps crashing - Similar Threads - File Explorer keeps

2. File Explorer keeps Crashing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer keeps Crashing: So file Explorer keeps Crashing altough the PC is brand-new and very welll equipped. Win 10These are the 2 reports I usually get:1000 100:Faulting application name: SearchApp.exe, version: 10.0.19041.2193, time stamp: 0x68923581Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version:...
  3. File Explorer keeps Crashing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer keeps Crashing: So file Explorer keeps Crashing altough the PC is brand-new and very welll equipped. Win 10These are the 2 reports I usually get:1000 100:Faulting application name: SearchApp.exe, version: 10.0.19041.2193, time stamp: 0x68923581Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version:...
  4. File explorer keeps crashing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File explorer keeps crashing: I have multiple users experiencing the same issue.File explorer crashes. System is un-usable until explorer comes back around. When it does, all network shares are gone.I have tried the window scaling suggestion. No helpI have done the sfc / scannow. No help, no errorsI have...
  5. File Explorer keeps crashing

File Explorer keeps crashing: It works fine normally, but once I open a few folders containing photos, it freezes for about 5 secs and crashes.The folders do contain special characters, is there any way to get past this?...
  6. File Explorer keeps crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer keeps crashing: My file explorer keeps crashing. I cannot open any documents, or maybe just one, i cant move documents or rename them. I have read other posts but none of the fixes have worked. When i try anything the curser goes round and round, so i have to shut it down, my screen goes...
  7. File explore keeps crashing

File explore keeps crashing: HI everyone I have Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134 on a Dell Latitude 7280 I have been unable to use File Explorer. As soon as I open it, it crashes: Details of the problem report below. I have tried running sfc/scannow, changing display...
  8. file explorer keeps crashing

file explorer keeps crashing: file explorer crash after I view / open a few pdf files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-keeps-crashing/57881f9a-8da6-4f94-97e7-2ff887c6ed66"
  9. File Explorer Keeps Crashing

File Explorer Keeps Crashing: i had many troubles with windows file explorer lately. 90% of the times when i try to open/move/copy a file, or go to a folder, the explorer stops responding, restarts and then again. i tried every advise i've seen so far, like changing the folder preferences,...
  10. File Explorer Keeps Crashing

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    File Explorer Keeps Crashing: I have seen this on other threads but I haven't been able to fix it yet. I run Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 3 with 2 additional screens, a Dell and an LG. Everything has worked fine for the first few months, but in the last week I have had the same issue every single...