Windows 10: File Explorer launches Administrator command prompt

Discus and support File Explorer launches Administrator command prompt in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I launch a recent folder or any folder linked on the pinned taskbar icon for File Explorer it launches what appears to cmd.exe with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Trybrow, May 6, 2016.

1. Trybrow Win User

File Explorer launches Administrator command prompt

When I launch a recent folder or any folder linked on the pinned taskbar icon for File Explorer it launches what appears to cmd.exe with "Administrator" and the folder path in the top bar. the folder is also displayed in the command prompt itself. However if I just click on the icon in the taskbar for file explorer itself, it opens fine. Anybody know where I'm going wrong?

:)

Trybrow, May 6, 2016

2. cannot launch command prompt as administrator

my original problem is an error, windows cannot connect to group policy client. My brand new laptop is virtually useless. I have searched and searched for answers. I found some promising solutions but that led me to another problem, I have tried 6 different
    ways to launch the command prompt as an administrator and nothing works, I also discovered that I cannot launch my task manager or event viewer. I am desperate does anybody have any answers? this laptop is only a few months old and this all started out of
    the blue a couple weeks ago. Now virtually nothing will launch and updates from java and iTunes just spin and go nowhere, SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP

RichHolmes, May 6, 2016
  3. cannot launch command prompt as administrator

Hello,

Thank you for getting back to us with the information.

I request you to place the computer in Clean boot and check if it helps.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program or an update or when you run a program in Windows.
    You may also troubleshoot or determine what conflict is causing the problem by performing a clean boot.

Follow the link to place your computer in Clean boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Disclaimer: To start the computer in normal mode refer the section,
    "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"
    from the link above.

I hope this helps you. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), May 6, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

What you are experiencing is an option that normally only appears when you hold down shift and right click on the folder. There is a list of options one of which is "open command window here". It would seem that the default option of "open" has been replaced by this alternative option. There may be a way to correct this with a registry edit but I will need to investigate first or maybe someone else already knows how to do this?

If this has only just recently started to happen perhaps you can use a recent restore point to put it back to rights.

philc43, May 6, 2016
  5. Trybrow Win User
    Thanks for the heads up, I just tried restore, very easy process and I could undo it which was helpful as It didnt solve the problem. Im totally new to Windows 10 so it could be that its always done this on this system. hmm, will just have to keep searching.

Trybrow, May 7, 2016
  6. Dadicator Win User
    It seems by reading Post #1 -- That your Icon Properties have some how been changed -- Your Default Open "is CMD.exe" if I am reading it right. "C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar" Log in as "Administrator" Go to the above location => Right Click on "File Explorer" =>ShortCut Tab =>"Advanced" =>Un-Check the box that says "Run as Administrator" => Select "OK" See if this will help. IF Not Please explain it a little better. -- more info

Maybe if you DELETE the Icon and then re assign it back to the "Task Bar" it will then work?

Dadicator, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. File Explorer launches Administrator command prompt - Similar Threads - File Explorer launches

2. Unable to run the command prompt as an administrator

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to run the command prompt as an administrator: As the title states I am not able to run the command prompt as an administrator. Currently I am in a repair loop and can't check my disk without administrator. The only issue is that I only have access to command prompt through the troubleshoot option. What do I do?...
  3. Unable to run the command prompt as an administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to run the command prompt as an administrator: As the title states I am not able to run the command prompt as an administrator. Currently I am in a repair loop and can't check my disk without administrator. The only issue is that I only have access to command prompt through the troubleshoot option. What do I do?...
  4. Unable to run the command prompt as an administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Command prompt starts instead of File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Command prompt starts instead of File Explorer?: Around a month ago, I turned my laptop Asus TUF Gaming FX504 and instead of Explorer launching, I got greeted with Command Prompt. The fix was simple, I just typed "explorer" and everything was back to normal, but this issue kept on happening. I have a feeling it's something...
  6. Command prompt closes immediately after launching

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Command prompt closes immediately after launching: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ledgerthemain [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/docmt1/command_prompt_closes_immediately_after_launching/
  7. Command Prompt Administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command Prompt Administrator: I am the Administrator but at the Command Prompt access is denied https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt-administrator/4e28f118-973a-4b2a-a82e-0942312494b0
  8. Administrator command prompt greyed out

in Windows 10 Support
    Administrator command prompt greyed out: Hi guys, I just recently built a desktop computer it's running windows 10. the problem is there's only one account on it that's the administrator account that's me. I can run everything else as the administrator applications, settings, power shell ect. The administrator...
  9. Command Prompt not working for user or Administrator

in Windows 10 Support
    Command Prompt not working for user or Administrator: When selecting the command prompt from the right click on startup options I get the following message: 'This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program, or if one is already installed, create an association in...
  10. Command Prompt as Administrator.

in Windows 10 Support
    Command Prompt as Administrator.: How do I switch powershell in start menu to command prompt administrator. Henry. 87415